2023 Buffalo Bills Overall Draft Grade

Rigotz

Overall Buffalo Bills Draft Grade  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Grade

I went B+, but readily admit that it’s tinted by us using a RD3 pick on a head scratcher LB for the second year in a row. 

Kincaid and Torrence are home run A+ game changing picks.  

I actually like a lot of what I see and hear about Dorian Williams, but Bernard being such a year one non-factor bleeds into my view of this pick.  

I’m not in love with our WR room.. it has potential, but Shorter doesn’t alleviate my concern that we have Diggs and then question marks..  Can Davis be a high level WR2, can Harty stay healthy and make an impact, can Shakir develop into the receiver so many think he can be?   If the answer to those questions are yes, then we have one heck of a WR room, but that’s a lot of questions.  

I love that we traded back accumulating two more RD6 picks next year.  

A-

Not sure about another undersized LB on the 3rd round they drafted to start on ST...think they could have got someone that could have contributed more at that spot.

Other than that, loved Kincaid, REALLY loved Torrence, Shorter seems like a bigger Davis(perhaps thinking he can fill that role of Davis departs after this year) with better hands but not as much versatility, other 2 picks were decent players for where they were at. Overall feel pretty good.

I gave it a b

It looks like they got two immediate starters

If you take the GM at his word, the linebacker will start off as the back up to Matt Milano

You also have to factor in that the GM did a lot of trading for draft picks for the following years and those later rounds and that Hass to be taken into consideration but it cannot be a valuated until those pics are made

We literally have 10 draft picks for next year more if he pulls off some trades

That is insane amount of draft capital for the following year and what will be a better draft

Around the league I’d say we did about as well as any other main competitor, Miami, ny jets, New England, Cincinnati, Kansas city.   

Unfortunately, the eagles get an A+ from me….  Hope there isn’t a dynasty in the making over there.

I think we make it to the show.   

can we beat Philly?  Worth a roster comparison thread if anyone wants to put that together.

My grade: Very Good = A-

Two potential starters, and all the rest of them have a decent shot at making the team, if not the Practice Squad.

And gaining some draft capital for next season is an under appreciated bonus.

All-in-all, considering our draft position, a very good weekend. 

Edited by CSBill

You know, I think we, including me, have to adjust our understanding of what's going on at linebacker.   If you look back at the history, it's just so clear that McBeane actually believe that the linebackers they want are the slightly over-sized safeties.   Milano's draft profile really doesn't look all that different from Dorian Williams or Bernard.

BOSTON COLLEGE

OLB

Prospect Info

COLLEGE

Boston College

HEIGHT

6’ 0’’

WEIGHT

223 lbs

Prospect Grade

Average Backup Or Special-Teamer

And despite what we all seem to think what the need is, the Bills simply do not sign free agent linebackers who are in the traditional mode.  

I think the reality is that they want over-sized safeties, and we need to get used to it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I gave it an A based on the players they got but a B- for what I thought were moves or players they could’ve maybe picked instead. For example when Sanders and Simpson fell in the 3rd round I thought they could’ve been more aggressive to move up and get them. Now granted not sure if they tried but giving up something next year for both rank rd1-2 ILB this year should’ve been worth it. As for who we chose an A like I said.  

RD 1: The Bills make a small jump but land the premier pass-catching tight end in the draft in Kincaid. The 10th overall player on some big boards, so a huge value pick. Kincaid was the focal point of the Utah offense and led all players at the position with a 91.8 PFF receiving grade.

RD 2: Torrence is mountain of a man at the position and can move better than his size would suggest plus he’s different from our current G’s. Had overall grade pff grade of 88 with a run-blocking grade 90

RD 3: Williams, a player with legitimate range and a huge wingspan which made him one of the most impactful LB against the pass in his college career. He had a top-10 coverage grade among linebackers in 2 of his last 3 seasons.

RD 5: Shorter was one of the bigger wide receivers in this class, coming in at 6-foot-4 and 234 pounds with 34-inch arms and was a big-play threat for the Gators with averaged 19.9 yards per reception in 2022 plus not one dropped pass. Kinda in the mold of Gabe Davis.

RD 7:  Broeker’s played mostly at left tackle until 2022 when he was moved inside to left guard.  A reliable pass protector for the Ole Miss and had a  70.0-plus PFF pass-blocking grade his last 2 seasons.

RD 7: Austin has above average height/length blend but average speed. He had very good production with 21 passes defended over the past 2 seasons and only allowed 42 receptions for 529 yards in 2022.  He had a 70.0-plus PFF coverage and run defense grades in his final season in college.

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You know, I think we, including me, have to adjust our understanding of what's going on at linebacker.   If you look back at the history, it's just so clear that McBeane actually believe that the linebackers they want are the slightly over-sized safeties.   Milano's draft profile really doesn't look all that different from Dorian Williams or Bernard.

And despite what we all seem to think what the need is, the Bills simply do not sign free agent linebackers who are in the traditional mode.  

I think the reality is that they want over-sized safeties, and we need to get used to it. 

THIS!! People need to understand that Frazier and that D is GONE. It's going to be different type of D this year. Maybe it will be better maybe not, we shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Bills did a good job overall. My big complaints about their team building strategy over the last few seasons were addressed so I’m very happy about that too. My frustrations have included:

- Lack of 21 personnel. Check.

- Lack of weapons for Allen. Check.

- Insistence on dedicating resources  (huge FA contracts and 1st and 2nd round picks) to fix every defensive issue. Not this year. 

- Lack of quality additions to the OL to protect Allen and help the run game. Check again.

I’d have loved to have seen another quality WR added, but I’m pretty damn happy overall with the Bills approach. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

It’s only 1 draft publication but Lindy’s had Kincaid and Torrence as the top rated players at their positions. Dorian as the 12th rated OLB (4th-5th rd grade). Broeker was also rated 12th for the OG position (6th rd grade). Curiously there was a “Could Disappoint” warning attached to Broeker. Shorter and Austin were “Worth Watching”, which typically puts them in 7th rd-BFA territory. 

Of note, Alabama DT FA, Dale, had a 6th rd grade so maybe a good p/u by the Bills. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

The NFL is emerging to short passing games to TE and RBs are replacing running the ball. As a result LBs have to be quicker and able to cover. I don't mind the Williams pick yet if we keep running a 4-2-5 base defense we need to find a bigger nickel as Taron Johnson while good in coverage weakens our run stopping. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.