RD 5, Pick 150: WR Justin Shorter, Florida

Chandler#81

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Easley was like that.   Hardest worker type.  Very high character.   The difference between those guys and good NFL WR's is the details.   If you don't have them at a smaller size you don't even get a chance at the NFL.   But the big guys sometimes do.   Kumerow would shred practices but in game situations it was clear that his technique and hands weren't good enough to beat NFL CB's.   Easley actually almost looked like he was going to make the jump to a starting NFL WR(which was admittedly a lower bar in the NFL back then)  but then had a broken leg that cooked his career if I recall correctly.       

Yup.  Easley was a stud on Teams and was making some noise to factor into the offense but suffered a brutal injury that basically ended his career (something like ruptured patella).

• Thank you (+1) 1

I never really get too excited over any draft pick no matter what round the selection 1st-7th. That being said, this kid is built like a sh*t brickhouse at 6'4" and first thing that comes to my mind is how simular he looks to those DK Metcalf photos couple years back.

Would be amazing if he turns out the same way Metcalf has....but anyways, he certainly has the build.

1 hour ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I never really get too excited over any draft pick no matter what round the selection 1st-7th. That being said, this kid is built like a sh*t brickhouse at 6'4" and first thing that comes to my mind is how simular he looks to those DK Metcalf photos couple years back.

Would be amazing if he turns out the same way Metcalf has....but anyways, he certainly has the build.

A ***** brickhouse?  That's not a compliment.

• Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Calling it now!  Mix of Prime Josh Gordon, DK Metcalf, T.O. and Megatron 😎

We probably shouldn’t fit him for his Gold Jacket yet, he’s still a growing boy and may put some muscle on during his career.   

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

A ***** brickhouse?  That's not a compliment.

Ill, uh……..take your word for it! 

Edited by Augie

Caught Beane on Moving the Chains on Sirius yesterday. He mentioned also that one of the things they also liked about Shorter was his playing with Richardson in Florida, which led to a lot of broken plays. BB thinks this experience will be an asset to Josh on extended plays.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Lol, well depends how you perceive it I guess

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

It's supposed to be "brick shithouse," which (I guess is supposed to mean) a good thing.  A *****(ty) brickhouse would be a bad thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

We probably shouldn’t fit him for his Gold Jacket yet, he’s still a growing boy and may put some muscle on during his career.   

Have you seen him? He's already more muscular than most NFL WR's 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's supposed to be "brick shithouse," which (I guess is supposed to mean) a good thing.  A *****(ty) brickhouse would be a bad thing.

Unless you lived in a ****tier brick house, I suppose. Some realtor will take that listing, regardless. 

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Have you seen him? He's already more muscular than most NFL WR's 

I knew I should have put a sarcasm warning or a smiley face or something. That one’s on me. 

• Haha (+1) 1

It would be an amazing thing if the whole league, including the Bills, have just plain missed on Shorter.   I mean, if he actually realized the potential we can imagine, he would be one of the big misses of all time, like Larry Fitzgerald falling to the fifth round.   That's all pretty unlikely.   But what the Bills have going for them is that they figured out, and several other teams didn't, that the path from uncertain college performance to stud was short and clear for Josh Allen.  Maybe McDermott and Dorsey will unlock the door to the high ceiling.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

It would be an amazing thing if the whole league, including the Bills, have just plain missed on Shorter.   I mean, if he actually realized the potential we can imagine, he would be one of the big misses of all time, like Larry Fitzgerald falling to the fifth round.   That's all pretty unlikely.   But what the Bills have going for them is that they figured out, and several other teams didn't, that the path from uncertain college performance to stud was short and clear for Josh Allen.  Maybe McDermott and Dorsey will unlock the door to the high ceiling.  

Anything is possible.  Again, Diggs was a 5th rounder.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Anything is possible.  Again, Diggs was a 5th rounder.

Diggs is a good point.   Every team could see what he had, and every team convinced themselves that he was not likely to become a star worthy of a first-round grade.   That comes in part from the evolving nature of the game, the mix of players and coaches the guy plays with, and the player's ability to use his unique skill set to carve out a place for himself.   Personnel evaluation is an art, not a science. 

I saw Adrian Dantley play in high school, and great as he was, I thought he'd struggle in college.   Then he showed everyone that he could play in college, despite being an undersized forward.   It was obvious to me that talent or not, he wasn't going to play in the NBA.   I was so wrong.   If you have the right skillset and the right people around you, you can do it.   

We can hope.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I saw Adrian Dantley play in high school, and great as he was, I thought he'd struggle in college.   

I saw Adrian Dantley play as a rookie for the Braves - and he was great :) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Diggs is a good point.   Every team could see what he had, and every team convinced themselves that he was not likely to become a star worthy of a first-round grade.   That comes in part from the evolving nature of the game, the mix of players and coaches the guy plays with, and the player's ability to use his unique skill set to carve out a place for himself.   Personnel evaluation is an art, not a science. 

I saw Adrian Dantley play in high school, and great as he was, I thought he'd struggle in college.   Then he showed everyone that he could play in college, despite being an undersized forward.   It was obvious to me that talent or not, he wasn't going to play in the NBA.   I was so wrong.   If you have the right skillset and the right people around you, you can do it.   

We can hope.  

3 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Man you guys are old! Lol j/k

Larry Fitzgerald was the 3rd overall pick shaw

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Larry Fitzgerald was the 3rd overall pick shaw

I know.  That's the point.   

Think about what people are saying about this guy.   He has a lot of characteristics of great receivers - size, speed, hands.   My point was that the talk here is as though Shorter could become a true star receiver, and I agree that he has many of the characteristics, but imagining him becoming that great is the mirror image of imagining FItzgerald lasting to the fifth round.   I don't see it.  He may have a future in the league, maybe even a long future, because there's always an occasional star who appears out of the late rounds.  Much more likely that he proves to be useful for a few years and then gets replaced.    

Think about Shakir.   Maybe, maybe, he's a ten-year player in the league.  That would be nice.   More likely that he plays five, has some pretty effective seasons, then gets replaced by another fifth round guy.  

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

I was probably there! We split season tickets with another family back then. Great memories. I loved the NBA back then I don’t even watch the Finals now. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Think about what people are saying about this guy.   He has a lot of characteristics of great receivers - size, speed, hands.   My point was that the talk here is as though Shorter could become a true star receiver, and I agree that he has many of the characteristics, but imagining him becoming that great is the mirror image of imagining FItzgerald lasting to the fifth round.   I don't see it.  He may have a future in the league, maybe even a long future, because there's always an occasional star who appears out of the late rounds.  Much more likely that he proves to be useful for a few years and then gets replaced.    

Think about Shakir.   Maybe, maybe, he's a ten-year player in the league.  That would be nice.   More likely that he plays five, has some pretty effective seasons, then gets replaced by another fifth round guy.  

I understand and agree

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

For me it is the 5 star recruit thing, combined with the measurables, plus the inconsistent coaching he got at Florida. There just seems to be more there. I don’t think this is the run of the mill type of fifth rounder. 

Diggs’ story is similar, though he is obviously not the same type of receiver size wise and style. But he was a 5 star recruit, winds up in a very up and down situation at Maryland, deals with injuries and just has a really inconsistent career. Goes in the 5th despite a strong combine. 

I am not saying Shorter is going to be Diggs, but there is more to the story with Shorter and that’s why he is so interesting to me. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

For me it is the 5 star recruit thing, combined with the measurables, plus the inconsistent coaching he got at Florida. There just seems to be more there. I don’t think this is the run of the mill type of fifth rounder. 

Diggs’ story is similar, though he is obviously not the same type of receiver size wise and style. But he was a 5 star recruit, winds up in a very up and down situation at Maryland, deals with injuries and just has a really inconsistent career. Goes in the 5th despite a strong combine. 

I am not saying Shorter is going to be Diggs, but there is more to the story with Shorter and that’s why he is so interesting to me. 

Interesting.  I enjoyed this and comments others have made.  

Frankly, what I like is that he apparently can play special teams.  If so, he makes the roster without pressure to step into a significant role on the offense.  Give him a year to learn the job.   

Whatever.  He's intriguing.  

Meanwhile - what's the deal with a three-year deal for Shavers?

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Frankly, what I like is that he apparently can play special teams.  If so, he makes the roster without pressure to step into a significant role on the offense.  Give him a year to learn the job.   

Agreed, just to say you're likely correct ST would increase his chances a lot to make the roster, while he may not have  "significant" role on offense for the most part, at some point in the season he will get some opportunities due to injury etc. I assume he may feel a little pressure but hope he handles it well

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think most UDFA deals are for three years. I may be mistaken. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

All UDFA who’s sign and make the team are given 3 year deals 

getting cut and placed on PS nullifies it 

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think most UDFA deals are for three years. I may be mistaken. 

You are correct … all UDFAs who make a roster have a 3 year deal 

getting cut and going to PS nullifies it

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

All UDFA who’s sign and make the team are given 3 year deals 

getting cut and placed on PS nullifies it 

You are correct … all UDFAs who make a roster have a 3 year deal 

getting cut and going to PS nullifies it

Thanks.  Obviously, I didn't know that.  

18 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Diggs did have a pretty great true freshman year, though.    I'm really not sure what to make of Shorter never having a good season.   Seems likely there has been a comparable player who has panned out but I can't think of one. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.  Obviously, I didn't know that.  

Yea but most UDFAs are released and brought back to PS so given 1 year deals and a futures contract in the off-season 

this kid has a legit shot and maybe they wanted the 3 years to be known … because they expect him to make the 52

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I was probably there! We split season tickets with another family back then. Great memories. I loved the NBA back then I don’t even watch the Finals now. 

We cut coupons off milk cartons and sat in the Orange :) .  God I loved the Braves

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

That is Mac-Atrue!

Gar Heard and Mac-Atrue.   Love it!  Thanks.  

I had left Buffalo by the time the Braves arrived, so I never followed them all that closely.  Until just now, I'd forgotten that Dantley played there.   

Every time I'm reminded of McAdoo, I'm amazed that a player could have been THAT far ahead of his time.   I mean, Iverson would have been incredible in the 2023 NBA, but he was only 20 years ago.   McAdoo was 50 years ago!!!  He'd be as great today as he was then. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Gar Heard and Mac-Atrue.   Love it!  Thanks.  

I had left Buffalo by the time the Braves arrived, so I never followed them all that closely.  Until just now, I'd forgotten that Dantley played there.   

Every time I'm reminded of McAdoo, I'm amazed that a player could have been THAT far ahead of his time.   I mean, Iverson would have been incredible in the 2023 NBA, but he was only 20 years ago.   McAdoo was 50 years ago!!!  He'd be as great today as he was then. 

Where is the Ernie D. love?  He was such a great passer.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's rather difficult to make a pun out of DiGregorio.

I tried for about five seconds and gave up.   

Ernie was just SO slow.  He was perfect in the college game, but he couldn't play very long with the NBA talent.  It was too bad, because he was a magician.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Diggs did have a pretty great true freshman year, though.    I'm really not sure what to make of Shorter never having a good season.   Seems likely there has been a comparable player who has panned out but I can't think of one. 

Dawson Knox

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.