Lil dirty update - McKenzie released

Reed83HOF

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I like him as a person and had high hopes he could made the transition to a good WR.

The evidence is "he is who he is".  That's not bad but the team probably needs better.

Good chance he goes to camp if he isn't cut by tomorrow.  He'll have his chance again to compete.

I'm just not sure there is a place for him this season.

Reasonable take.  What you doin' on this board?  :devil:

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

Gabe and Knox drop the ball more.  Yet McKittrick gets like 10x the hate.  Still don't get it.

There is plenty of hate for them too… 

I like McKittrick as a “character” on the team … but he had an opportunity last year and didn’t do much with it… Im ready to move on to the next guy…

26 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Gabe and Knox drop the ball more.  Yet McKittrick gets like 10x the hate.  Still don't get it.

McDonald was replacing sure handed Beasley. Toss in he sometimes fumbles which not a good thing. I don't see a good reason to keep him with Hartley around and use his $2 million cap figure to help add depth at TE or LB or OT.

8 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

It would be really bad asset management to have Harty, Hines, and McKenzie on one team.  Beane is terrible at asset management so I wouldnt be shocked to see all three on team taking up over 10 million in cap space.

Hines is an RB - one of only two on the team right now.  He was also the primary KR and PR last season

Harty could return kicks and punts, but all the incentives in his contract are about receptions, which leads me to believe the intent is to use him primarily as a WR.

Last season, it was thought to be reasonable to have McKenzie and Crowder both on the roster, filling somewhat different roles.

So maybe - they will both be on the roster, not because "Beane is terrible at asset management" but because they are seen as filling different roles.

As a basis in fact, they take up just under $10M in cap space.  If you cut McKenzie, you save a whole $1.75 - $2.2M.  That might happen, but the cost to take him into camp is pretty low - $350k - so I don't know why one wouldn't do that and move on, if they're going to, AFTER they see for sure what Harty gives them.

Having two guys who can return kicks and punts on the team, and two guys who can fill the small speedy WR role, and have them just be 3 guys instead of 4 could be seen as "good asset management".

28 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Hines is an RB - one of only two on the team right now.  He was also the primary KR and PR last season

Harty could return kicks and punts, but all the incentives in his contract are about receptions, which leads me to believe the intent is to use him primarily as a WR.

Last season, it was thought to be reasonable to have McKenzie and Crowder both on the roster, filling somewhat different roles.

So maybe - they will both be on the roster, not because "Beane is terrible at asset management" but because they are seen as filling different roles.

As a basis in fact, they take up just under $10M in cap space.  If you cut McKenzie, you save a whole $1.75 - $2.2M.  That might happen, but the cost to take him into camp is pretty low - $350k - so I don't know why one wouldn't do that and move on, if they're going to, AFTER they see for sure what Harty gives them.

Having two guys who can return kicks and punts on the team, and two guys who can fill the small speedy WR role, and have them just be 3 guys instead of 4 could be seen as "good asset management".

They gave Harty $5M guaranteed at signing so they should have a good idea what he gives them right now.  Regarding McKenzie, he just drops the ball too much.  He isn't reliable enough for a guy who they thought could play slot WR.  He's small and so is Harty and I think that's one too many.  Beane was asked about McKenzie today at his presser.  It didn't sound very reassuring for McKenzie.

Edited by DCbillsfan

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Maybe it's the drops.  Or the fumbles.  Or the boneheaded plays.  

McKenzie had 0 fumbles last season.  Gabe and Knox had more drops.  McKenzie had 30 first downs, Gabe 35, and Knox 24.  Yet somehow, TBD wants to run him out of town on a rail.  I still don't get the hate.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

McKenzie had 0 fumbles last season.  Gabe and Knox had more drops.  McKenzie had 30 first downs, Gabe 35, and Knox 24.  Yet somehow, TBD wants to run him out of town on a rail.  I still don't get the hate.

Pretty sure people are mostly referring to the fumbles on returns.

Although last year there was that backwards pass Josh threw to McKenzie, who wasn't ready and dropped it, and got returned by the other team. I think that technically gets counted as a Josh fumble.

4 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I wonder if McKenzie has some late round trade value. Cheap contract, a lot of game film, can punt return(tho not great), good gadget player. Wonder if we could snipe a 6th or 7th for him 

Beane got a 3rd for Tyrod and a 5th for Ford. He'd be even money to get a pick for Isaiah IMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.