Will Beane Franchise Tag anyone?

BeastMode54

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

ABSOLUTELY NOT to tagging Edmunds.

The Franchise Tag for a LB is $20.9M.

While Edmunds long term deal might average $20M/yr, it will likely be more like $9M this year and $13M next year. So you'd just be burning $12M in cap space.

You can also rescind the franchise tag on the player before mid July to open that cap space back up. It’s double edged tho as your tying up money at the beginning of FA

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

The Tag and Trade stuff is talked about all the time but seldom happens.

The deadline is now.  Once a player is tagged the team has to clear enough cap space to keep him.

The window to trade him is one week.  If no one want to trade you're screwed with the players cap, and it hurts trying to bring in any other FAs.

It's a risk, not a guarantee for teams without a lot of cap space.

You know of course Davante Adams was tagged by Green Bay and traded just last year. Why do you guys not look up facts before posting? It happens and it can happen with Edmunds. 

28 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Re-signing Edmunds for 17-20 is what I would call a felony.  It's time to accept we're saying goodbye to Jordan, Tremaine and Devin.  

I want Edmunds gone too. I just want to get something in return

11 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

You can also rescind the franchise tag on the player before mid July to open that cap space back up. It’s double edged tho as your tying up money at the beginning of FA

1 minute ago, Tuco said:

You can only rescind it if the player hasn't signed it - even though it counts against the cap whether he's signed it or not. Once he walks into the office and signs the tag contract, it becomes fully guaranteed for the team that tagged him or any other team. That's why it's such a big risk and why you almost never see any team just tag and trade a guy any more.

Edited by Tuco

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You know of course Davante Adams was tagged by Green Bay and traded just last year. Why do you guys not look up facts before posting? It happens and it can happen with Edmunds.

My post said SELDOM.  Are you willing to have Tre on the Bills for one-year contract for $22M if nobody wants to trade?

It's a yes or no question.   

Its possible, but its not really something Beane does.  If Beane wants a guy here, he finds a way to get an extension or new contract done.  He decides a value he is willing to go to, and they either find common ground or Beane moves on.  

So I doubt he will, but if he was to use it, I think Edmunds would be the one he would use it and probably use the cheaper tag giving him the right to match other offers in case Edmunds signed a deal that Beane would be ok paying himself.  

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Tremaine Tag, strictly based on position and what the number would be, would be a very poor financial decision (irrespective of opinions on level of play) 

Ps I guess he needs to tag Diggs so he doesn’t go to Dallas 🙄 

Diggs is under contract for 3 or 4 more years.  No tag until the end of that period

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I can't tell if you're joking, but Stefon Diggs is not a free agent. If he demands a trade, his only leverage would be to hold out and the tag does nothing to prevent that.

13 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Diggs is under contract for 3 or 4 more years.  No tag until the end of that period

oh good - so they can close down the “oh no he loves Dallas and not us anymore thread” then? 

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I would tag Edmunds and try to trade him for compensation. Other teams can knock that cap down with an extension 

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You tag Edmunds to trade him. If he just lets him walk for a comp pick that would be criminal. And Beane would probably screw that up too.

I want to move on from Edmunds but letting him walk for nothing would be bad. There will be a market for him. Tagging him gives you options. 

You have to trade him to a team who has already negotiated an extension.  Until you do, his cap number sits on the books at the full amount.  In a cap strapped year - we can create space if needed, but 21M would very much hinder the teams ability to make any moves in free agency. 

So you sit out free agency until you trade him, and get a 2023 pick or player instead of a possible 2024 comp pick.  And sitting out free agency means bargain shopping after everyone else is signed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

So wait.. Edmunds is bad and strongly disliked round here.. He’s not good…Right??? But team are gonna trade for him and sign him to a monster contract. Make up your minds. 

He is not bad .. he is actually quite good with still a ton of upside if his mind ever matches his freakish athleticism. People will  pay for what he has done but also for what he could become.

I understand not signing him as the sticker price is high, but those thinking he is a bum are just not being realistic. He was a good draft pick that had a chance to be awesome and he just remained very good

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

You have to trade him to a team who has already negotiated an extension.  Until you do, his cap number sits on the books at the full amount.  In a cap strapped year - we can create space if needed, but 21M would very much hinder the teams ability to make any moves in free agency. 

So you sit out free agency until you trade him, and get a 2023 pick or player instead of a possible 2024 comp pick.  And sitting out free agency means bargain shopping after everyone else is signed. 

I stated it was double edged in a later post. I understand that. It really comes down to losing out on some free agents and getting a 2nd and maybe like a 5th for Edmunds and not getting top tier guys or letting him walk and get an end of 3rd rounder in compensatory form. We can restructure and maneuver some things  because I think we’re going to be bargain bin shopping anyways vs going after top guys 

48 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Very insightful post. The Bills are up against the cap & have to make some uncomfortable decisions. If you look around the league many teams are in the same boat. It will be important to replace these players with good players.

45 minutes ago, Yawning Frog said:

Case closed deadline passed an hour ago. No tag for Buffalo.  

Yup. He'll easily net a 2024 3rd round comp pick and Poyer will likely get a 4/5th rounder (unless Beane does something stupid in FA this year).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.