Will Beane Franchise Tag anyone?

BeastMode54

Definitely not. The tag for Tremaine is 21 million and for Poyer it's 14. 

I could see a transition tag on Tremaine at 17 million. That gives them the right to match offers, but no compensation. But I still do not think they will go there. I think they are ok with losing Tremaine and paying someone half of that to replace him. 

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You tag Edmunds to trade him. If he just lets him walk for a comp pick that would be criminal. And Beane would probably screw that up too.

I want to move on from Edmunds but letting him walk for nothing would be bad. There will be a market for him. Tagging him gives you options. 

Agreed.  How about an Edmunds for Payne trade?  Washington needs a LB and we need more juice on the D Line.  

The Tag and Trade stuff is talked about all the time but seldom happens.

The deadline is now.  Once a player is tagged the team has to clear enough cap space to keep him.

The window to trade him is one week.  If no one want to trade you're screwed with the players cap, and it hurts trying to bring in any other FAs.

It's a risk, not a guarantee for teams without a lot of cap space.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The Tag and Trade stuff is talked about all the time but seldom happens.

The deadline is now.  Once a player is tagged the team has to clear enough cap space to keep him.

The window to trade him is one week.  If no one want to trade you're screwed with the players cap, and it hurts trying to bring in any other FAs.

It's a risk, not a guarantee for teams without a lot of cap space.

Thanks for the great explanation. You guys know a lot more about this stuff than I will ever hope to.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks for the great explanation. You guys know a lot more about this stuff than I will ever hope to.

I read a great article a couple of years ago all about the tags and this point was brought up.

The league's timing as to the rules are set up to limit teams from doing the tag/trade for that purpose.

I'm sure the NFLPA was involved.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Tremaine Tag, strictly based on position and what the number would be, would be a very poor financial decision (irrespective of opinions on level of play) 

Ps I guess he needs to tag Diggs so he doesn’t go to Dallas 🙄 

I can't tell if you're joking, but Stefon Diggs is not a free agent. If he demands a trade, his only leverage would be to hold out and the tag does nothing to prevent that.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You tag Edmunds to trade him. If he just lets him walk for a comp pick that would be criminal. And Beane would probably screw that up too.

I want to move on from Edmunds but letting him walk for nothing would be bad. There will be a market for him. Tagging him gives you options. 

Re-signing Edmunds for 17-20 is what I would call a felony.  It's time to accept we're saying goodbye to Jordan, Tremaine and Devin.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.