Will Beane Franchise Tag anyone?

BeastMode54

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You know of course Davante Adams was tagged by Green Bay and traded just last year. Why do you guys not look up facts before posting? It happens and it can happen with Edmunds. 

I want Edmunds gone too. I just want to get something in return

Davante Adams is a much better football player then Tremaine Edmunds.  There has to be a Nick Bolton-Logan Wilson type player in the middle rounds that can come in and make plays on defense.  

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

He is not bad .. he is actually quite good with still a ton of upside if his mind ever matches his freakish athleticism. People will  pay for what he has done but also for what he could become.

I understand not signing him as the sticker price is high, but those thinking he is a bum are just not being realistic. He was a good draft pick that had a chance to be awesome and he just remained very good

Exactly and it only takes one team to set the market.  Nobody thought Jamal Adams was worth two first round picks until Seattle traded for him.  

Edmunds is not worth the money on this team because the Bills now have so much money tied up elsewhere. For another team that may not be the case.  At best we are now looking at a 2024 3rd round pick somewhere around pick 100 if Beane does not screw up the compensation pick.  That is absolutely awful return for Edmunds skill level.  If done correctly Beane could have easily netted a 2nd round pick or maybe even a low first rounder.  

This was mistake one.  Hopefully he doesn't make it worse by signing him to a long term deal.  

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

The Tag and Trade stuff is talked about all the time but seldom happens.

The deadline is now.  Once a player is tagged the team has to clear enough cap space to keep him.

The window to trade him is one week.  If no one want to trade you're screwed with the players cap, and it hurts trying to bring in any other FAs.

It's a risk, not a guarantee for teams without a lot of cap space.

it only works if you have a guy in real Demand and if you do, you probably aren’t trading him while you hold the rights to them for less than the highest paid at their position, soooo yeah, tag and trade is HIGHLY unlikely.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You tag Edmunds to trade him. If he just lets him walk for a comp pick that would be criminal. And Beane would probably screw that up too.

I want to move on from Edmunds but letting him walk for nothing would be bad. There will be a market for him. Tagging him gives you options. 

Not sure you understand how the NFL free agent market works. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You know of course Davante Adams was tagged by Green Bay and traded just last year. Why do you guys not look up facts before posting? It happens and it can happen with Edmunds. 

I want Edmunds gone too. I just want to get something in return

The fact that it happened with Davante Adams and has happened in the past with a handful of players does not refute the fact that it seldom happens, which is the claim you are addressing with “why do you guys not look up facts before posting?”

It could, theoretically, happen with any player who has a strong market but the fact remains it’s risky business for a team with tight cap space (or no cap space) because they only have a week between the tagging and the need to be under the cap on the first day of the league New Year.

So trade partners are aware of that, and can push for a “fire sale”, and if the trade doesn’t go through the team is in a bind.

14 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

So Green Bay getting a 1st and a 2nd for Adams wasn't reality? 

Adams was arguably the best WR in the league.  Do you think any of the Bills FA, including Edmunds, are arguably the best players at their positions in the league?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

The only way i see Beane using the FT is if it was Josh or maybe a young Diggs type player but & know he was in good cap shape before he did it but with who we have leaving who is coming out in the draft & FA i think Beanes got this . 

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The fact that it happened with Davante Adams and has happened in the past with a handful of players does not refute the fact that it seldom happens, which is the claim you are addressing with “why do you guys not look up facts before posting?”

It could, theoretically, happen with any player who has a strong market but the fact remains it’s risky business for a team with tight cap space (or no cap space) because they only have a week between the tagging and the need to be under the cap on the first day of the league New Year.

So trade partners are aware of that, and can push for a “fire sale”, and if the trade doesn’t go through the team is in a bind.

Adams was arguably the best WR in the league.  Do you think any of the Bills FA, including Edmunds, are arguably the best players at their positions in the league?

I dont think Edmunds is best at his position. I've been a huge critic of his. But half this board thinks he is. And he will sign with someone for no less than top 3 MLB money. So yes some GM will believe he is one of the best at his position or maybe better said has the potential to be. Maybe Beane and McD still think that too. I hope not. I think he's a fraud. 

Moot point now. Just hope someone pays him top dollar and Beane doesn't screw up the comp pick.

On 3/7/2023 at 10:24 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You tag Edmunds to trade him. If he just lets him walk for a comp pick that would be criminal. And Beane would probably screw that up too.

I want to move on from Edmunds but letting him walk for nothing would be bad. There will be a market for him. Tagging him gives you options. 

Wow seems so simple. It’s very unlikely we tag him unless we already have a trade partner. At $17m you better know that. Every team has FA that walk for nothing. The value of him gone vs the Bills spending $17 is the win. Beane is pretty smart. On the whole he’s been good. How did you like our GM’s for the 15 years before he got here? He’s not perfect but he’s a good GM. I expect he will continue to put this team in a position to win. 

• Agree 1

On 3/7/2023 at 12:24 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

This almost never happens for any team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.