Is Edmunds decision the most difficult Beane has ever faced?

Ethan in Cleveland

6 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

This might sound like an a*****e thing to say, but if Edmunds' ability and presence can't really stop high-end QBs, why bother paying him what may be $15 to $18 million a year?

Not a rhetorical question. What value do we get if we can't stop the Burrow's and Mahomes of the league? 

My suggestion is pay a guy a fraction of that, "give up" the middle of the field more (it's not really making a difference in big games) and use the money on the O-line.

I mean you could make that argument against every guy on the defense.  I’d like to re-allocate some capital towards the offense too, but is Edmunds, a 24 year old physical freak who had his best season last year,  the right guy to draw a line in the sand on? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 947 said:

I think it seems extremely stressful to us fans because we all know Beane should let him walk, but we also know darn well that McDermott might be able to convince Beane to pay him, and we'll be screwed on Offense. It really shouldn't be a difficult decision, but given our team's history, they're likely to make it one.

Why would teams ever need to throw short-to-intermediate routes in the middle of the field when Frazier has his outside corners playing 7-10 yards off the receiver?

SMFH

• Thank you (+1) 1

Most teams can justify letting a player like Edmunds walk because you can get a comp pick, but Beane doesnt play the comp pick game and I dont want to lose him for nothing. Maybe a tag & trade is the best option

Edited by uticaclub

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Of course trading up and taking Allen was the most impactful. 

But I'd argue the decision on Edmunds will have repercussions for years. There are so many options. Sign him long term and spread out the cap hit to a player that at best has had an inconsistent impact since entering the NFL. Even spreading out the can hit, it will still commit massive resources to the two linebackers. Tag and force him to play under the tag. Tag and trade. Simply let him walk. 

This next decision may ultimately make or break Beane's career. 

The window to tag a player has already opened and a decision must be made by March 7th. 

Should be an interesting week ahead. 

I agree, you are still signing him based off his age and potential to a degree.

Not that he isn’ta good LB, because he is.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Is Edmunds decision the most difficult Beane has ever faced?

If it is, then it's only because we have absolutely no one to backfill, even potentially.  That's a problem of his own making.  One starting LB drafted in five drafts.

34 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I mean you could make that argument against every guy on the defense.  I’d like to re-allocate some capital towards the offense too, but is Edmunds, a 24 year old physical freak who had his best season last year,  the right guy to draw a line in the sand on? 

When you are up against it cap wise, your OL ranked 23rd in the NFL, Davis doesn't take the step forward most hoped, and your Franchise QB is running for his life on a vast majority of his drop backs? Yeah, I think you set a limit on what you are willing to commit to the position. He's not worth the $20M+ cap hit of the Franchise Tag or north of $100M with $60M or more gtd. He's just not. 

Edited by H2o
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This must be the most difficult decision Beane has faced, because similar but opposite of you, I have been staunchly against re-signing him the last 4 years, but have changed my tune after this season. :lol:

Edmunds play, and the fog of his responsibilities, makes it almost impossible for us to properly decide whether it is worth re-signing him or not. Couple that with the "what ifs" that pop up when discussing using that money on Offense instead. But there are no guarantees Beane will spend on Offense even if Edmunds walks. So...

I have no clue.

Great post!

Agreed 

I see him walking and playing much better in a traditional 4-3.  Who knows, but if you ask me, the reason why we only use 2 LBs is because we only have two that are worth a siht.  It's a strain on those two as well, not a welcome one I would imagine.  

That's gotta be weighing into Edmunds' decision.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This must be the most difficult decision Beane has faced, because similar but opposite of you, I have been staunchly against re-signing him the last 4 years, but have changed my tune after this season. :lol:

Edmunds play, and the fog of his responsibilities, makes it almost impossible for us to properly decide whether it is worth re-signing him or not. Couple that with the "what ifs" that pop up when discussing using that money on Offense instead. But there are no guarantees Beane will spend on Offense even if Edmunds walks. So...

I have no clue.

I like that metaphor “fog of his responsibilities.”  I’m in a fog about what he does well (eg - no shacks, no interceptions, few pressures or run stuffs).  I guess the NFL coaches must think he’s gold because he’s about to bring home Ft. Knox.  

Edited by Ga boy
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

this is not Madden Football... do you know how rarely a tag and trade happens in the NFL?

People I also think forget that if the bills tag Edmunds, it’s like 22 mil….

That’s a pretty dangerous game to play if you can’t find a suitable trade partner, as Edmunds would literally have all the leverage in the world

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Even though they are public enemy number one right now I’ll take the coaches decision over mine or the rest of this board. (Like I have a choice 😜
They know what edmunds is worth to the team and I would guess they know if they can make the correct adjustments to the scheme without him. I like edmunds, I think he gets far too much hate.. Most of the players people want to replace him with are hated by their own fanbases for the same reasons. Roquan couldn’t cover according to Chicago fans, Devin White is always out of position or missing his gap (and that’s with David next to him coaching him up) 

Edmunds plays soft, but so does most of the defense. I hope he goes somewhere that coaches more aggressive play. I would like to see what he can do when he’s thinking less and attacking more. 
He’s been here all these years and I can count on one hand how many times I have seen him blitz from the edge. It’s always the same “blitz” I guess you could call it. 
Line up over center, run right into him and just stand there so if the play gets behind you you’ll be free to chase em down. I understand occupying a blocker so someone else frees up, but it seems to rarely happen unless it’s Milano busting through. I’m no coach but to me his athleticism screams moving him all over the place even if he’s not gonna pass rush. 
Rumors are Detroit would be interested and that’s probably where I’d like to see him go as I enjoy the lions current brand of football. Edmunds would be a pretty great upgrade for that defense even if he’s as bad as some make him out to be. 
Gotta think the jump from Anzalone to Edmunds would be significant 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

People I also think forget that if the bills tag Edmunds, it’s like 22 mil….

That’s a pretty dangerous game to play if you can’t find a suitable trade partner, as Edmunds would literally have all the leverage in the world

Yeah.  No way you tag him unless you somehow know who you’re trading him to. 

• Agree 3

23 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

I like that metaphor “fog of his responsibilities.”  I’m in a fog about what he does well (eg - no shacks, no interceptions, few pressures or run stuffs).  I guess the NFL coaches must think he’s gold because he’s about to bring home Ft. Knox.  

Yeah, I use that term to also give him a bit more benefit of the doubt than a lot of us (myself included) have given him in the past. It is certainly a fairly unique role he plays, so it is tough to get a read on any real comparison or expectation.

I was a huge detractor, but what brought me around at least a little bit was watching the extensive Cover1 videos discussing his responsibilities and the calls and decisions he has to make during a play. Not even between plays. In the middle of the play while it is coming right at him. It's a lot.

Since not many other coaches are... "bold" (cough) enough to use this scheme, the best I've found is to compare him to Luke Kuechly.

And if you look at Kuechley's first 5 years and compare them to Edmund's first 5 years, Tremaine is still greatly lacking.

LK 12 Ints

TE 5 Ints

LK 4 Forced Fumbles

TE 2 Forced Fumbles

LK 9 sacks

TE 6.5 sacks

LK 42 Pass Defended

TE 35 Pass Defended

LK outranks him in just about every category over his first 5 years, I wont bother to list them all. You can see them in the links above.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He is the linebacker equivalent of what the Giants are going through with Daniel Jones right now. Good, not great player who you invested a high pick in and have spent 5 years developing, who is going to command a huge contract that aren’t really worth. I think it’s a tough spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.