Is Edmunds decision the most difficult Beane has ever faced?

Ethan in Cleveland

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

People I also think forget that if the bills tag Edmunds, it’s like 22 mil….

That’s a pretty dangerous game to play if you can’t find a suitable trade partner, as Edmunds would literally have all the leverage in the world

exactly to my point lol This isn't old school madden football with endless cap space lol

• Agree 1

Any GM of a perennial contender has to learn to make decisions to let young players go in FA who have a lot of meat on the bone left.  To date, he has not done that partly given the understandable desire to keep your young talent and the Bills have had cap space to do it. They can make it work with Edmunds, but not sure they should.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gregthekeg said:

There is a stat out there that when he is in they have top 3 pass D and when he isnt they were 28th.... now imagine that all year.

This is not a fair analysis because last year the drop off from Edmunds was to Dodson or Bernard. We aren't going into next year with one of them as our starting MLB. So the real question is about the drop off from Edmunds to whatever free agent we bring in to replace him. No stats from last year can answer that question.

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

is Edmunds, a 24 year old physical freak who had his best season last year,  the right guy to draw a line in the sand on? 

Here's the issue - "best season" for a MLB that's going to be paid what he'll get should include several game changing plays, ideally in critical moments. A forced fumble, a pick, a huge run stop on a 3rd or 4th down, a fumble recovery for a TD. Edmunds NEVER has plays like that. For him, his "best season" came down to being more consistent at the little things. Nothing wrong with that... but the real defensive superstars do a lot more than just the little things. Not so much a "line in the sand" as it is a good investment strategy.

A team that isn't paying a QB and needs an influx of talent on the defense can afford to pay Edmunds more than a player at that level should make. It's the kind of signing that might make a lot of sense for the right team, but no sense for us as our team is currently constructed.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Kiva said:

It’s a no-brainer.  Move on. This has been the plan all along. He has been disappointing since the draft, Beane knew he wasn’t going to extend him. It’s his talent not what he costs. 

If it was Beanes plan to let him walk we shouldn’t be in a position with no reasonable option on the present roster, and if Bernard is his answer he should be shown the door

Edited by uticaclub

What's the true blue evaluation on Edmunds?

God only knows. We are told he does so much, that his length and height are so crucial in what we do. Solid in coverage. But the eye test for me at least, is a guy who is middle grade, a guy who guesses wrong and makes some gaffs that cost us big. He does not get picks, does not get sacks, 

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Edmunds is this generation's London Fletcher.  Run out of town on a rail, he continued to be one of the best MLB's in the NFL for another 7 years.  We were in MLB purgatory after Fletcher left, and Santayana is laughing his ass off.

Meh ..that's a weak comparison. Fletch was a mighty mite. He gets tackles as folks drag him 5 yards down field. He was not young and not the physical specimen Edmunds is. He had the same issues in WA. It was no loss for Buff. 

I think with Tremaine, your still factoring in that young age and the potential in the contract. 

I don't pay big LB bucks for a guy like Edmunds. So many have said it. He's a coverage guy. 

I think whoever gives Edmunds his big deal is going to use him a lot different. Honestly, Micah Parsons comes to mind. 

Edited by RichRiderBills

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I understand fans wanting to have this line of thinking, but there is absolutely no solid, valid logic behind it.

It doesnt matter what we are paying Milano when it comes to Edmunds contract. Just like when Milano was re-signing people werent saying "but we only pay Lorenzo Alexander $X amount".

Milano's deal was in a much different time, for a different position, and had a player who was willing to take well below market in order to not complicate his life. It's an anomaly situation. Not a precedent.

And that decision becomes difficult when you have to pay this huge State Income Tax. 

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, I use that term to also give him a bit more benefit of the doubt than a lot of us (myself included) have given him in the past. It is certainly a fairly unique role he plays, so it is tough to get a read on any real comparison or expectation.

I was a huge detractor, but what brought me around at least a little bit was watching the extensive Cover1 videos discussing his responsibilities and the calls and decisions he has to make during a play. Not even between plays. In the middle of the play while it is coming right at him. It's a lot.

Since not many other coaches are... "bold" (cough) enough to use this scheme, the best I've found is to compare him to Luke Kuechly.

And if you look at Kuechley's first 5 years and compare them to Edmund's first 5 years, Tremaine is still greatly lacking.

LK 12 Ints

TE 5 Ints

LK 4 Forced Fumbles

TE 2 Forced Fumbles

LK 9 sacks

TE 6.5 sacks

LK 42 Pass Defended

TE 35 Pass Defended

LK outranks him in just about every category over his first 5 years, I wont bother to list them all. You can see them in the links above.

Good stuff.  Thanks Doc!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

People I also think forget that if the bills tag Edmunds, it’s like 22 mil….

That’s a pretty dangerous game to play if you can’t find a suitable trade partner, as Edmunds would literally have all the leverage in the world

You can remove the tag.  It's not binding.  It's not like a 5th year guarantee.   I agree though playing under the 1 year tag with their cap situation is nearly impossible.  

I want the defense to have change forced on them. Otherwise why should we expect anything different. I'm not one of the people that think Edmunds sucks. I think he is key to our pass coverage, but I think that because Frazier built the defense that way. Similar to how he built it around the combination of Poyer and Hyde. This left us in a very bad spot if anything happened to these guys. We can't be that exposed at positions that most teams feel are interchangeable. Let him move on. Restructure the defense in more of a balanced way. We are running out of room to keep paying our elite players. Not because we can't do so if we really want, but because we have not seen those players take us to elite places and the vast majority have been locked up. If you haven't been locked up already under this regime I think that says all you need to know. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Of course trading up and taking Allen was the most impactful. 

But I'd argue the decision on Edmunds will have repercussions for years. There are so many options. Sign him long term and spread out the cap hit to a player that at best has had an inconsistent impact since entering the NFL. Even spreading out the can hit, it will still commit massive resources to the two linebackers. Tag and force him to play under the tag. Tag and trade. Simply let him walk. 

This next decision may ultimately make or break Beane's career. 

The window to tag a player has already opened and a decision must be made by March 7th. 

Should be an interesting week ahead. 

Nah. They're all important.

He's a consistently very good player who's now become even better, an excellent player. He'll make a positive difference here if they sign him, but he'll cost a lot of money. Like just about any player, there's an amount that they think will be too much. 

If they don't get him, it really will hurt this defense this year, as they don't have any reasonable succession plan.

They want to draft guys, develop them and re-sign them. He's a perfect example of a guy they should do that with, and doubtless want to. But there are financial limits.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

I want the defense to have change forced on them. Otherwise why should we expect anything different. I'm not one of the people that think Edmunds sucks. I think he is key to our pass coverage, but I think that because Frazier built the defense that way. Similar to how he built it around the combination of Poyer and Hyde. This left us in a very bad spot if anything happened to these guys. We can't be that exposed at positions that most teams feel are interchangeable. Let him move on. Restructure the defense in more of a balanced way. We are running out of room to keep paying our elite players. Not because we can't do so if we really want, but because we have not seen those players take us to elite places and the vast majority have been locked up. If you haven't been locked up already under this regime I think that says all you need to know. 

Tells all you need to know? No, it really doesn't. Was Milano locked up?

Yet he's now an All-Pro, after they re-signed him.

And the idea that we shouldn't re-sign people because they haven't taken us to elite places is dumb. That would justify not re-signing anyone. By that argument we shouldn't have re-signed Allen. He hasn't taken us to elite places. It's simply not a good argument.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is not a fair analysis because last year the drop off from Edmunds was to Dodson or Bernard. We aren't going into next year with one of them as our starting MLB. So the real question is about the drop off from Edmunds to whatever free agent we bring in to replace him. No stats from last year can answer that question.

It's an extremely fair analysis. Dodson and Bernard are still who we have. 

11 guys on the field and when one of them who is not Von Miller, goes off it affects us that much. That's huge. And the reason is that Edmunds is much more important to us than many people have thought through the years, particularly in pass defense.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You can remove the tag.  It's not binding.  It's not like a 5th year guarantee.   I agree though playing under the 1 year tag with their cap situation is nearly impossible.  

Yes but that’s only If they agree to a long term extension if I understand correctly.

His contract is expired so if they tag him and can’t trade him, he’s either playing under the tag or they reach an extension while the tag is placed on him. (In which Edmunds would have the leverage as there is no way they can absorb a 22 mil cap hit this year)

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.