Hodgins or Gabe? Who will have the better career? (Poll)

KDIGGZ

Hodgins or Gabe? Who will have the better career?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Who will have the better career?

• Isaiah Hodgins
    • Gabe Davis
    • Push

It might have seemed crazy to consider this last season but Hodgins had a breakout year and Gabe is good but has fizzled in the #2 role. Who will have the better career when all is said and done? Did we keep the wrong player?

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

So what if Gabe gets traded to a crap team with no QB or signs long term here and has Josh?

Unanswerable question.

Gabe benefits from having Josh as QB, no doubt. But he’s also hurt because we have other options like Diggs and Knox so the ball gets spread around more. Some of this will come down to circumstances and pure luck. So…..🤷‍♂️

Regardless, I want them to add someone to step in and be the clear #2 to Diggs. 

It's really tough with me right on the border of favoring Gabe and the "push" option. Gabe has had the better start to his career and he's gotten way more snaps. Hodgins was arguably the Giants' #1 WR the last quarter of the season. He posted a 78% catch rate including the Playoffs and this with Daniel Jones as his QB. He was never going to get that kind of burn here because of the way our depth chart was set prior to all of the injuries. Gabe had a very low catch percentage and had numerous untimely drops. Then he has games where he blows up. Davis seems to work hard so I hope he's closer to the good version of Gabe than he is the bad version. I still don't think he should be our #2, but he's shown more to this point than has Hodgins. I selected Gabe in the end. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

WHAT WERE YOU HOPING TO PROVE? THAT EVERYONES AS SICK AND TWISTED AS YOU? YOU'RE ALONE!

*does the batman voice*

Maybe it's not as close as I had thought. Personally I was very disappointed by Gabe this year. It looks like he can hit the seam route and the deep comeback but that seems to be all. And the drops, ughh. We may have already seen the best he has.

Surely Hodgins will have a better career than whoever our 3rd WR is, right? McKenzie, Khalil, Kumerow. So in the end we still could have made a mistake by releasing him. Too early to tell but that's what makes it an interesting topic to consider.

Let's look at their careers so far:

Gabe Davis: 1,984 yards, 20 TD's (55.7 yards per game in 2022)

Isaiah Hodgins: 392 yards, 4 TD's (35.6 yards per game in 2022)

Hodgins won't even be starting for the giants next year because they are going to upgrade at receiver.

Hodgins had one really good game last year where he had 89 yards and a TD. The rest were ok. Davis had 3 games as good or better than that, including a game with 171 yards and 2 TD's. (Both of them had 1 good playoff game too).

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It's about even IMO.  Hodgins is a slow receiver but with sure hands/concentration.  He can take advantage of soft zone schemes, but on man/man he'll be covered.  He could turn into an excellent slot receiver, especially if he can be cagey like Beasley is and just get open.    

Davis has speed to beat man coverage but doesn't have the hands/concentration.  Since you can't teach speed, you take that and hopefully teach the catching.

55 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

It might have seemed crazy to consider this last season but Hodgins had a breakout year and Gabe is good but has fizzled in the #2 role. Who will have the better career when all is said and done? Did we keep the wrong player?

Wow do you actually think Hodgins is better than Davis? 17.4 YPC compared to 10.5. One is on the verge of elite the other is pedestrian.  

Hodgins doesn't make the roster of half the NFL teams or more.  Davis is in line for a big pay day as some team's legit #2. 

Yes Davis had drop issues but he made a bunch of difficult catches and amazing plays. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Call me when Hodgins has a 200 yd game with 4 TDs in a playoff game. Gabe has been great in the playoffs when the lights shine the brightest. Hodgins had a few good games against bottom feeders.

Really he had one good regular season game and one good playoff game. All his other games were ok.

Gabe Davis has done way, WAY more.

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

What's considered a "breakout year" these days? It seems the standard went way down...

Apparently 300 yards and 4 TD's is a breakout year...

I have nothing against Hodgins, but clearly he thrived because he went to a team with little to no talent. This is similar to Robert Foster who had a big year with the Bills because he was the only person to throw the ball to. Then he did nothing.

Not to mention Hodgins's lack of availability due to injury so far in his career.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.