Why is Eric Bieniemy available as an OC?

Virgil

11 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Ah, I wasn't tracking all that. So yeah, there's some combination of three clear issues with him. And it may take him elevating a guy like Kyler Murray to finally get a HC job.

Not sure I would risk my future on Kyler Murray, but I get what you are saying.

IMO, Baltimore would be the ideal landing spot for Bienemy.

If I'm the Ravens, I try to hire Bienemy and then tell Lamar "Ok, we are going to franchise tag you this year. Come back and play under the tag for 1 year and see what the Offense looks like with Bienemy instead of Roman. And no matter what happens we will NOT tag you again."

So he Jackson either proves he can flourish under a "real" offense and deserves the fully guaranteed $270-300M contract. Or puts up a stinker of a year and Baltimore moves on. And Jackson gets to hit the FA market and still end up well paid.

How many years did Mike Mcdaniels call plays in SF? How many years did Zach Taylor call plays with the rams?  Doug Pederson? Matt Nagy?  There are many instances in which the right hand man of a genius play caller gets a HC offer with hopes that he knows the system like the back of his hand and can replicate the same success.  

But not Bienemy.  Odds are he’s either a really bad interviewer or a scumbag.   

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, NewEra said:

How many years did Mike Mcdaniels call plays in SF? How many years did Zach Taylor call plays with the rams?  Doug Pederson? Matt Nagy?  There are many instances in which the right hand man of a genius play caller gets a HC offer with hopes that he knows the system like the back of his hand and can replicate the same success.  

In that case, Andy Reid should hire him...

3 hours ago, MJS said:

There has been lots of smoke for years about there being turmoil in KC and Bieniemy is not well liked by the players and other coaches.

He has also been interviewed many times for a HC position, and the rumors are that he interviews terribly.

Where there is smoke, there is fire. There is something about him that is blocking him from getting more opportunities. I don't think he will ever be a head coach.

I've heard this too. They talked about it on WGR today In fact. I'm thinking of everyone dislikes him so much and Reid calls the plays anyway, why not just let him walk and hire literally anyone else. Why keep

around a guy no one seems to like. 

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

I remember hearing Eric's name in HC positions, but now I'm seeing that his contract is up and he's applying for other OC jobs.  My first point of thought would be, Reid calls all the plays and runs the show, so maybe he just wants to make a name for himself elsewhere.  However, is it not off that the Chiefs wouldn't try to keep him on the staff? 

For me, it's hard to not want someone who's been around Reid and the offensive game planning on our staff.  Whoever actually called the plays in the SB was the real MVP to me.  Outside of the first Kelce touchdown, Mahomes was throwing to wide open people.  

But yeah, anyone know why this guy is available?

The 2nd half of the SB reminded me of our playoff game against the Patriots.  Allen was throwing to wide open people (after that first miraculous TD to Knox).   I believe the Bills have the talent to execute such game plans

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Never underestimate anyone. He could be both!   😋

You’d think there has to be something there for a guy who has been overlooked for years. 

I’ve heard he’s a bad interview, and you’d think he’d improve over time. Not sure what other baggage there may be. 

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I've heard this too. They talked about it on WGR today In fact. I'm thinking of everyone dislikes him so much and Reid calls the plays anyway, why not just let him walk and hire literally anyone else. Why keep

They were hoping for the free draft picks if someone hires him.

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

If Bienemy walks, I'd imagine Matt Nagy will become their OC. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

The Bills on the other hand, have an "Assistant Head Coach", who never seems to be on the interview gravy train. Of course, we all wish Frazier the best... :wallbash:

Err... he has been interviewed both of the previous two cycles. Okay he didn't get any looks this year but he had 3 interviews last year (and two second interviews) and 1 interview (where he made it to the final 2) in 2021. 

Do Bills fans just not follow what goes on in the other 31 franchises? 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

For me, it's hard to not want someone who's been around Reid

Like Sean McDermott, for instance?

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Err... he has been interviewed both of the previous two cycles. Okay he didn't get any looks this year but he had 3 interviews last year (and one second interview) and 1 interview (where he made it to the final 2) in 2021. 

Do Bills fans just not follow what goes on in the other 31 franchises? 

Those are Rooney Rule check the box interviews.  I've maintained for a long time that Leslie and Anthony Lynn are harmed by the Rooney Rule because it turns them into tokens who get paraded before the cameras before someone else (white) gets hired.

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

Outside of the first Kelce touchdown, Mahomes was throwing to wide open people.  

Quick aside: The same talking heads that claim Mahomes is the living embodiment of god almighy, GOAT in training, etc., note in the same breath that he was throwing to wide-open receivers all game (and season) long. Yet somehow he's far better than Allen, who had to dodge the Saffold- and Brown assignments every drop-back, hit Davis or Mackenzie on the chest because they can't get open, and watch as they drop it. But Mahomes has two rings!

2 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Like Sean McDermott, for instance?

Those are Rooney Rule check the box interviews.  I've maintained for a long time that Leslie and Anthony Lynn are harmed by the Rooney Rule because it turns them into tokens who get paraded before the cameras before someone else (white) gets hired.

Not when he makes it to the final 2 they are not. He has made the final shortlist three times. 

2018 Indianapolis the finalists were Frazier and Reich

2021 Houston the finalists were Frazier abd Culley

2022 Giants the finalists were Frazier, Daboll and Quinn

Three second interviews. None of those are Rooney Rule tokens.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not when he makes it to the final 2 they are not. He has made the final shortlist three times. 

2018 Indianapolis the finalists were Frazier and Reich

2021 Houston the finalists were Frazier abd Culley

2022 Giants the finalists were Frazier, Daboll and Quinn

Three second interviews. None of those are Rooney Rule tokens.

I know a company that every minority candidate they interview automatically makes it to the final round.  It does not matter if they intend to hire them or not.  If they meet the minimum qualifications, they pass them each round until the final round interview.  

I'm not saying that's what happened with Frazier, I'm referencing a completely different industry....I just wouldn't be surprised.

17 hours ago, MJS said:

There has been lots of smoke for years about there being turmoil in KC and Bieniemy is not well liked by the players and other coaches.

I think if this were the case Bieniemy wouldn't be on the staff still, 4 years, 3 Super Bowls and 2 Super Bowl wins later.

Either he's the worst interview ever or this is racism.  

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

17 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Some off field stuff too.  

I agree but think it is less of an impact than it for getting head coach position.

A head coach is supposed to be leader of the team and hard to discipline someone for off field issues when you have done worst/

Imagine Br*dy being a head coach and punishing a player for getting caught cheating.

40 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I think if this were the case Bieniemy wouldn't be on the staff still, 4 years, 3 Super Bowls and 2 Super Bowl wins later.

Either he's the worst interview ever or this is racism.  

Hasn't he interviewed for jobs where they hired a Black coach?  What's the reason then, he was too black?  Someone else's "Bojangles routine" up on the coffee table was better?  I mean, this doesn't make much sense as 4-5 other black head coaches have been hired minimum during this time.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.