Why is Eric Bieniemy available as an OC?

Virgil

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

EB is going to be learning on the job, even more than Dorsey at this point.

If you wanna say last year, I agree that's not crazy. I could see going with EB > Dorsey when neither had been a real OC.

Once we hired Dorsey last year, he was going to get 2-3 years as OC unless he had a Nate Hackett level implosion.

I think I am a bit more negative on his first year report card is the issue.  I do get he will get more time, and I am not pissed or anything about it.  Definitely not nearly as upset about Dorsey as I am that Frazier is back.  

But, I am concerned on the number of things he needs to improve on all coming together this year.  I thought he struggled quite a bit with situational awareness, use of personnel, play calling (especially in the redzone), creativity, and overall scheme.  

Everything we did the last 2/3rds of the season felt like a struggle on offense, there was no cohesiveness.  It felt more like the greatness of Allen willed this offense to make points, with a lot of improvisation being the key out there.  

So I just hope he surprises and makes a big leap forward this year.  Hearing Lee Smith talk about it gives me some optimism, but still a big concern until we see it on the field.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 2

Just now, H2o said:

Yes, if he fails in Washington as a stand alone coordinator then the sports media will make excuses as to why. It's what they do. Not sure about the coordinator hiring situation you mentioned because I have never kept track. If I were Arizona, and had my choice, I would have hired one of the two Cincy coordinators. That's on them. I wouldn't have made that hire. 

It’s funny that no one brought up the co coordinator stuff when all the McVay guys get hired. Or all the Pats defense is coaches. 

all you hear is black coaches aren’t getting jobs because they aren’t OCs. Well you have a 2 time Super Bowl OC not getting a job. And the character stuff holding you back in the nfl is hilarious. How about Andy Reid’s kids? The coke sniffing o line coach? Our own Kromer? Vrabel has a few arrests too.

but he just must interview really bad. I’d love for him to be awesome in Washington (though that probably won’t be the situation I would have picked) and then watch him get passed over again for daddy’s boys like Nate Hackett or Shurmur.

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

He got benched in KC. Sure there’s no agenda there from Saint LeSean.

9 minutes ago, wppete said:

The way things are going I wouldn’t at all be surprised is Ron Rivera “steps down” for “personal reasons” and Bieniemy gets handed the HC job. Should be interesting to see, very plausible for this to happen. 

It is plausible, Rivera has had serious health issues and been around a long time, nice way for him to gracefully retire.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s funny that no one brought up the co coordinator stuff when all the McVay guys get hired. Or all the Pats defense is coaches. 

Oh yeah ur so right dude. No one every talks about how Pats coordinators blow and are overrated because BB is the real mastermind. You truly have a finger on the pulse of the NFL media.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, FireChans said:

Oh yeah ur so right dude. No one every talks about how Pats coordinators blow and are overrated because BB is the real mastermind. You truly have a finger on the pulse of the NFL media.

Your incel energy is high today buddy.  Touch some grass and relax 

and no OC has gotten talked down as a coaching candidate for working for an offensive head coach like EB. Qb coaches for McVay become head coaches with less scrutiny than EB. 

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Pats coaching tree joke, That is ALL you hear about down in Houston after the Bill O Brien fiasco.

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think I am a bit more negative on his first year report card is the issue.  I do get he will get more time, and I am not pissed or anything about it.  Definitely not nearly as upset about Dorsey as I am that Frazier is back.  

But, I am concerned on the number of things he needs to improve on all coming together this year.  I thought he struggled quite a bit with situational awareness, use of personnel, play calling (especially in the redzone), creativity, and overall scheme.  

Everything we did the last 2/3rds of the season felt like a struggle on offense, there was no cohesiveness.  It felt more like the greatness of Allen willed this offense to make points, with a lot of improvisation being the key out there.  

So I just hope he surprises and makes a big leap forward this year.  Hearing Lee Smith talk about it gives me some optimism, but still a big concern until we see it on the field.  

The offense was labored the entire second half. It looked like every drive was a chore to get through.

I 100% agree.  I actually think Dorsey really struggled with changing things up, more than anything else.  The NFL is a league where teams catch-up.  We were unreal the first few weeks of the season, and as teams starting to figure us out a bit better, we never pivoted at all.

That's one thing Dabs would do a lot of. He would do the jet motion a lot, then shelve it, then bring it back. Set concepts or combos up in September, bring them back but change them in December.

If you watch Bills offense from 2021 from like week 3 compared to week 16, there's a ton of variability. If you watch the 2022 offense, it gets simpler and obviously, worse.

• Agree 5

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Your incel energy is high today buddy.  Touch some grass and relax 

and no OC has gotten talked down as a coaching candidate for working for an offensive head coach like EB. Qb coaches for McVay become head coaches with less scrutiny than EB. 

McVay was blocking KOC from taking other OC jobs.

https://www.therams.com/news/mcvay-kevin-oconnell-has-huge-say-huge-influence-on-how-we-want-to-operate

Andy Reid has been campaigning for this dude to get off his staff.  Maybe that's a difference.

Who knows.  Maybe the NFL just loves guys like Matt Patricia and Joe Judge like you said. Held in the highest regard among the media. lmao.

Edited by FireChans

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

McVay was blocking KOC from taking other OC jobs.

https://www.therams.com/news/mcvay-kevin-oconnell-has-huge-say-huge-influence-on-how-we-want-to-operate

Andy Reid has been campaigning for this dude to get off his staff.  Maybe that's a difference.

Who knows.  Maybe the NFL just loves guys like Matt Patricia and Joe Judge like you said. Held in the highest regard among the media. lmao.

LMAO!!!

or maybe Reid wants the guy to get a job because he deserves one. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

LMAO!!!

or maybe Reid wants the guy to get a job because he deserves one. 

Reid blocked Matt Nagy from taking an OC job. Oh and he let Nagy call plays in KC.  But no, everyone hates EB despite Joe Mixon playing in the NFL or something, right?

I think he is going to fail as a HC / OC in Washington.

He was handed the keys to a Lambo in KC. The best offensive head coach to work under who still basically calls the plays and sets them up, and he has had  the best QB and TE in the game. 

Elite TE are the toughest offensive player to defend against 

Bienemi has none of that in Wsh. I expect him to not do great 

My take on EB is it is a combination of all that is talked about. The historical off field stuff is real. I have heard from people I trust that his first go round on the interview circuit after the 1st Superbowl win he was REALLY unprepared, even though he is supposed to have improved that stuff sticks. He has not called plays. But also, he is black. It is the combination of all of it.

If he succeeds in Washington I think it happens for him though.

He was partly available for the Chiefs do not need compensation picks and some may have been wary of making a move benefiting them.

Now if he is successful for a year or two Washington can get one.

I wonder if there are any limits on number of comp picks which can be given for one person hired and rehired and rehired.

18 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, shady is such a great character guy. Totally respect what he says and he probably is not bitter at all after not playing more in KC.

this stuff could be fairly true but what an awful source. It’s like asking Kyrie his opinion of the Brooklyn nets. 

I mean for years you told us how terrible Andy Reid was. Haven’t heard that take from you in a while. 😉

Yeah, even if he was a figurehead OC (like Matt Nagy who got a head coaching job), he still would have a ton of awesome concepts from Reid. And for crappy as Nagy is, he made MT passable for a year.

LOL i've come around.  It's not like it was a national secret Reid struggled on big game day calling.   Mahomes is just what he needed.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I think it says a lot that the Chiefs did not try to match the contract offer or the title he got from the Commanders.

It says that EB and Mahomes hated each other. That is why the Chiefs were letting him go. That relationship has totally broken down. Reid and EB are still tight but he knows it is Pat's show. What Pat wants, Pat gets. Pat wanted a new OC, Andy has known for weeks EB is out hence he did that pump up job right after the Superbowl about how great a job he did. That was a pal, firing a pal he's rather not fire, doing his guy a solid. 

This topic was brought up about a week ago on the Schopp and Bulldog show with their weekly guest Ross Tucker.

Ross said he has heard through his league connections and unnamed sources that Bieniemy "does not interview well" but he said he's surprised he hasn't been promoted to HC as well.

Schopp brought it up.

On 2/13/2023 at 3:16 PM, MJS said:

There has been lots of smoke for years about there being turmoil in KC and Bieniemy is not well liked by the players and other coaches.

He has also been interviewed many times for a HC position, and the rumors are that he interviews terribly.

Where there is smoke, there is fire. There is something about him that is blocking him from getting more opportunities. I don't think he will ever be a head coach.

Every year I read somewhere that he's a POS and nobody likes him

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This topic was brought up about a week ago on the Schopp and Bulldog show with their weekly guest Ross Tucker.

Ross said he has heard through his league connections and unnamed sources that Bieniemy "does not interview well" but he said he's surprised he hasn't been promoted to HC as well.

Schopp brought it up.

That was certainly the case the first time he hit the interview circuit. Whether he has got any better I'm not sure. 

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It says that EB and Mahomes hated each other. That is why the Chiefs were letting him go. That relationship has totally broken down. Reid and EB are still tight but he knows it is Pat's show. What Pat wants, Pat gets. Pat wanted a new OC, Andy has known for weeks EB is out hence he did that pump up job right after the Superbowl about how great a job he did. That was a pal, firing a pal he's rather not fire, doing his guy a solid. 

Technically didn't fire him, they just didn't renew his contract.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It’s funny you mentioned those comments right after the Super Bowl ended. I watched virtually none of the postgame coverage but I did see Reid say that, and thought to myself….geez that’s an odd thing to say at that moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was driving today and heard EB’S presser after being hired by the commanders.  I can see why he would be perceived as a bad interviewer. His press conference was over enthusiastic in a non professional way. In addition it was one cliche after another strung together for the entire time. There was not one sign of original thought, just a run on from one cliche to the next as I listened on Sirius nfl network channel.  His “ enthusiasm” , imo, came across as non genuine and he sounded over the top like you might expect to hear from some young, newly hired high school coach, not someone at the highest professional level in the worlds most successful sports league who had just finished 10 years under a HOF HC , winning 2 SB’S along the way. 

If you get a chance to hear his presser , ask yourself if you have EVER heard McD sound so overly , almost insincere like , in his enthusiasm. Mcd is enthusiastic , but very calculated and professional, and if all someone’s vision for his offense is a playbook of coaching cliches, there is no way I hire them as their prior success is most likely a product of their association with a very creative supervising  coach.   I am not impressed by just the rah , rah approach in coaching adult professional athletes.  It would wear thin very quickly.    Couple that with a criminal, violent history regarding women in the past and i am not shocked , even with an emphasis to hire minority coaches , that EB made this type of lateral move to have any shot at a HC position should Rivera’s health fail. Just one full press interview and the quality difference between how mcd comes across and how EB came across is pretty eye opening, and  told me all i needed to know regarding his past failures to land a HC position. 

EB seems to be in a no win situation perceptually. If he has success , it’s because he is using Reid’s system and is again under a very experienced head coach. If the offense struggles, it’s because he is now own his own , away from Reid  and Mahomes, and he probably wont be seen as someone who can take a struggling offense and creatively turn it around. ( Dorsey found out similar things with daboll  gone , but he at least has support from a premiere QB and mcd, and hasn’t been turned down for several years attempting to land a HC job.)   I just don’t see this going well for EB ; grasping at a lateral move in a very dysfunctional organization for your most likely final path to becoming a HC, seems like a desperate last ditch attempt to by whatever means become a HC. It feels like a vulture sitting in a  tree looking down knowing rivera’s health  is EB’S main determinant regarding his head coaching future rather than getting the position based solely on merit. Opportunistic , or distasteful? Just an opinion, but i hate cliches as ones main communication go to. 

On 2/13/2023 at 2:58 PM, Virgil said:

I remember hearing Eric's name in HC positions, but now I'm seeing that his contract is up and he's applying for other OC jobs.  My first point of thought would be, Reid calls all the plays and runs the show, so maybe he just wants to make a name for himself elsewhere.  However, is it not off that the Chiefs wouldn't try to keep him on the staff? 

For me, it's hard to not want someone who's been around Reid and the offensive game planning on our staff.  Whoever actually called the plays in the SB was the real MVP to me.  Outside of the first Kelce touchdown, Mahomes was throwing to wide open people.  

But yeah, anyone know why this guy is available?

i think its very telling that he cant get a hc sniff, chiefs win 2nd sb under him and theyre ready to let him walk this easy. where theres fire theres fire

8 hours ago, DrPJax said:

I was driving today and heard EB’S presser after being hired by the commanders.  I can see why he would be perceived as a bad interviewer. His press conference was over enthusiastic in a non professional way. In addition it was one cliche after another strung together for the entire time. There was not one sign of original thought, just a run on from one cliche to the next as I listened on Sirius nfl network channel.  His “ enthusiasm” , imo, came across as non genuine and he sounded over the top like you might expect to hear from some young, newly hired high school coach, not someone at the highest professional level in the worlds most successful sports league who had just finished 10 years under a HOF HC , winning 2 SB’S along the way. 

If you get a chance to hear his presser , ask yourself if you have EVER heard McD sound so overly , almost insincere like , in his enthusiasm. Mcd is enthusiastic , but very calculated and professional, and if all someone’s vision for his offense is a playbook of coaching cliches, there is no way I hire them as their prior success is most likely a product of their association with a very creative supervising  coach.   I am not impressed by just the rah , rah approach in coaching adult professional athletes.  It would wear thin very quickly.    Couple that with a criminal, violent history regarding women in the past and i am not shocked , even with an emphasis to hire minority coaches , that EB made this type of lateral move to have any shot at a HC position should Rivera’s health fail. Just one full press interview and the quality difference between how mcd comes across and how EB came across is pretty eye opening, and  told me all i needed to know regarding his past failures to land a HC position. 

EB seems to be in a no win situation perceptually. If he has success , it’s because he is using Reid’s system and is again under a very experienced head coach. If the offense struggles, it’s because he is now own his own , away from Reid  and Mahomes, and he probably wont be seen as someone who can take a struggling offense and creatively turn it around. ( Dorsey found out similar things with daboll  gone , but he at least has support from a premiere QB and mcd, and hasn’t been turned down for several years attempting to land a HC job.)   I just don’t see this going well for EB ; grasping at a lateral move in a very dysfunctional organization for your most likely final path to becoming a HC, seems like a desperate last ditch attempt to by whatever means become a HC. It feels like a vulture sitting in a  tree looking down knowing rivera’s health  is EB’S main determinant regarding his head coaching future rather than getting the position based solely on merit. Opportunistic , or distasteful? Just an opinion, but i hate cliches as ones main communication go to. 

The main reason Eric Bieniemy can't get an HC job is the same reason Leslie Frazier gets zero consideration.

He's not the reason for the unit's success, and everyone around the league knows it.  The Chiefs offense ultimately belongs to Andy Reid, just like the Bills defense ultimately belongs to Sean McDermott.

Granted, that is not the ONLY reason... but it's a giant checkmark against him.

Frazier also has a failed stint with the Vikings, and the final impression he leaves at season's end is always of the defense choking.  For Bieniemy, he also has multiple off-field arrests.  Nothing hugely alarming or serious, but it's still a concern when you are talking about being the leader of a professional football organization.  In addition, it's been widely reported that his past interviews for HC jobs have gone poorly.  I don't recall seeing specifics, but it's something we've heard from reporters many times.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.