Dan Orlovsky All-Time QB list

Solomon Grundy

13 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Aaron Rodgers not in the top 5. Biggest waste of a career all-time.

Young was great but his peak was too short IMO. Elway did for a long time. 

Agree about AR.

Agree about young too, he only had 7 real seasons due to how everything worked out.  Yet Pat Mahomes has played 5 seasons as a starter. 

19 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Manning
4. Marino
5. Elway
6. Favre
7. Brees

This is pretty darn close to what I've seen since the early 70s. Maybe Add Unitas based on the fact many considered him number 1 until Montana came along. You need to respect the eras the came before. 

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agree about AR.

Agree about young too, he only had 7 real seasons due to how everything worked out.  Yet Pat Mahomes has played 5 seasons as a starter. 

Agree. But Mahomes is basically 5 for 5 in terms of playing at the elite level so if anyone in the history of the NFL gets the benefit of the doubt in terms of projecting future success it would be him. 

Right now, realistically Mahomes is the only guy that has a chance to catch Brady in terms of career accolades and GOAT title. This Super Bowl is a big one for him because it won't look good dropping to 1-2 in Super Bowls when you are chasing a guy who is 7-3 in the Super Bowl. But if he can go 2-1, with two league MVP's, five straight AFC title game appearances, 3 Super Bowl appearances that's a heck of a start to a career. 

• Agree 2

I can't speak to the Otto Graham or Sammy Baugh era quarterbacks. The game was significantly different.

This is my top 10. As others have said, Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow can make the top 10 list, but not yet. Let's wait 7-10 years. I do believe all three will be no lower than Tier 3 with Mahomes and Allen both being Tier 2 or higher.

Tier 1

Brady

Montana

Manning

Unitas

Staubach

Elway

Favre

Rodgers

Marino

Brees

Tier II (No order)

Young, Tarkenton, Moon, Big Ben, Bradshaw, Aikman, Starr.

Kelly would probably start a long Tier 3 list as about the 16th-20th best QB in my opinion right now.

Edited by Wizard

On 2/3/2023 at 9:23 AM, boyst said:

rodgers will be a footnote in the history of the nfl in 12-15 years like kelly, favre, testeverde, and many others.

i'd rank eli over him because eli could perform when it mattered.

Rodgers won a SB and earned MVP throwing for 300 yds, 3 TDs, and 0 INTs

You're saying he couldn't perform when it mattered?

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Agreed. He also has the 5th highest career postseason QB Rating, right ahead of Josh(100.1 vs 99.6). The 45 tds vs only 13 ints is an impressive 3.5/1 ratio. For reference some of the greats: Brady's ratio is 2.25/1, Peyton's is 1.5/1, Montana's 2.2/1(But 11/0 in Super Bowls). Josh's is 4.25/1.

I hope we win multiple Super Bowls with Josh, but I could totally see a Rodgers like career. Where he gets 1 ring, but so many other years squandered because of lack of help and coaching. They have the 5th and 6th highest career postseason QB Ratings and yet combined they're barely above .500 in the playoffs(16-14). That's ******* nuts!

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/3/2023 at 10:29 AM, Nextmanup said:

Dan Marino is probably the best pure passer of all time! 

One of those cliche's that is kind of meaningless.  What exactly does it mean?  He never really won anything...why does being "the best pure passer" make him a great QB...isn't the point of the game to win? Not saying Marino was a bum, but personally, I think he is one of the more overrated QB's in modern NFL history. A high volume passer who threw a lot more passes than most of his contemporaries. 

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/3/2023 at 5:32 PM, Nextmanup said:

I agree, but can't we all agree on something?  The consensus around the league and among NFL fans, for quite a long time prior to the current era, was that the "best of all time" was Joe Montana. 

Back in the 80s Montana had a mystique but the conversation usually included Unitas, Starr and Staubach. Later, Steve Young operated the Niners offense equally effectively.

There was never a time when there was a broad consensus that Montana was the best ever.

There’s much more of one around Brady now, IMO. 

Hate to admit it but Brady is miles ahead of everyone else. He dinked and dunked some years but he also operated the record breaking crazy 2007 offense with Moss, made the wild comeback against the Falcons, and he was money under pressure. He lived for the pressure and performed best under it.

Kills me to say this :(

Edited by Ray Stonada

On 2/3/2023 at 8:13 AM, Draconator said:

Brady was a product of a system. He also lost Superbowls. Montana never lost a Superbowl. Montana should be #1. 

Montana was the product of a system. Was replaced by a bum from the Buccaneers, who then won a SB. 

Couldn't win a SB in KC.

Am I doing this right?!

13 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm saying that in the many times he has needed to perform he folds. He did good in one Superbowl. Cool. 

1 hour ago, boyst said:

I'm saying that in the many times he has needed to perform he folds. He did good in one Superbowl. Cool. 

But his post season stats aren't bad. 65% completion 45 TDs 13 INTs in 21 post season games.  A majority of the time it was his defense that let him down.

Something like 6 or 7 of his post season losses, the defense gave up 31 points or more.  

There are totals of 51, 37, 45, 44 & 37 points given up in 5 of his 10 losses.

I mean really, what does Orlovsky know about being a top shelf QB, college, UConn, NFL, a career back up in Detroit,  it is a get clicks piece, with no actual value. 

8 hours ago, boyst said:

He literally didn't. He's one of the best QBs in the playoffs.

21 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Agreed. He also has the 5th highest career postseason QB Rating, right ahead of Josh(100.1 vs 99.6). The 45 tds vs only 13 ints is an impressive 3.5/1 ratio. For reference some of the greats: Brady's ratio is 2.25/1, Peyton's is 1.5/1, Montana's 2.2/1(But 11/0 in Super Bowls). Josh's is 4.25/1.

I hope we win multiple Super Bowls with Josh, but I could totally see a Rodgers like career. Where he gets 1 ring, but so many other years squandered because of lack of help and coaching. They have the 5th and 6th highest career postseason QB Ratings and yet combined they're barely above .500 in the playoffs(16-14). That's ******* nuts!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.