Are the Bills committed to Ed Oliver in 2023?

LabattBlue

They need to trade him.  He is good, not great, and shouldn't be in our future plans.

Shop him for a Day 2 pick and just move on.  He's never stepped up in big moments and that cap hit makes me want to throw up. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 8

Too many holes to fill elsewhere. Keep Oliver on the 5th year option just like you did Edmunds. He is relatively cheap and no long term cap issues. 

Getting rid of him is the wrong solution for the wrong problem.

Oline, WR, safety, and depending on what they do with Edmunds MLB, and edge rusher are the holes.  Can't make more. 

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

Taking Ed Oliver over Wilkins (as dirty as he is), Dexter Lawrence and Jeffery Simmons stings so much right now. 

Just as bad as the Patriots taking N’keal Harry over Matcalf, Deebo and AJ Brown. 

I just looked at the 1st round of that draft a few days ago. 4 DT taken within 10 picks of each other, the Bills chose first, and got the worst of the 4. 😞

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, buffalobillswin said:

Taking Ed Oliver over Wilkins (as dirty as he is), Dexter Lawrence and Jeffery Simmons stings so much right now. 

Just as bad as the Patriots taking N’keal Harry over Matcalf, Deebo and AJ Brown. 

and the Browns taking Baker over Josh and the Jets taking Sam over Josh. No team is perfect in drafting. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

For some reason I thought he was a FA, but according to spotrac he is under contract to the tune of a ~11m cap hit. 😱

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/ed-oliver-29044/

It's his 5th year option.  They are now fully guaranteed when signed.

I think Oliver would probably be one of the guys McDermott has in mind when he says he thought the play of the DL was "inconsistent" especially after Von Miller went down

1 minute ago, buffalobillswin said:

Too many high picks turning out to be replacement level role players.  Not near enough impact players drafted early.  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Too many holes to fill elsewhere. Keep Oliver on the 5th year option just like you did Edmunds. He is relatively cheap and no long term cap issues. 

Getting rid of him is the wrong solution for the wrong problem.

Oline, WR, safety, and depending on what they do with Edmunds MLB, and edge rusher are the holes.  Can't make more. 

I'd argue that when your dline can't generate pressure against backups and 3rd stringers it's already a hole.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.