Dorsey will interview with Carolina this weekend for head coaching job

Mopreme

There's an unwritten rule that teams have to interview at least one mentally unstable candidate. The Panthers are just conducting this interview to ensure the league doesn't launch an unofficial investigation into their hiring practices. There has been conversation in some circles about naming this unwritten rule the "Dorsey Rule."

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

I wish the NFL would implement a rule that no coaching interviews until the season concludes.  Its too much distraction for teams still in the show IMO.  Its a lot of prep work and all day interviews for HC positions.

The Panthers are being much better about this than the Giants were with Daboll last year. All of the game planning and offensive install is long done by Saturday. And judging from the offensive performance in KC last year, I don't think that the interviews hurt Daboll's preparations at all.

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I wish the NFL would implement a rule that no coaching interviews until the season concludes.  It’s too much distraction for teams still in the show IMO.  It’s a lot of prep work and all day interviews for HC positions.

Don’t think this interview will be done in person. Likely a casual Zoom meeting and the all day thing will happen after the playoffs if he is their guy.

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Leslie Frazier would like to know.

Did he say when on the weekend the interview was going to be?

If he interviews Sunday after the game, in theory not too much impact.

??

Should have made my point a little clearer haha, I meant he had just game planned for the bengals a few weeks ago so he should have a good idea as to what they want to do and this interview shouldnt impact the game that much 

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

WHY is this allowed????  NO interviews until a team's season is over 

Under the old rules it was not allowed. Coaches complained it was costing them opportunities to move up. A new HC needs to assemble a staff. That’s a lot harder to do the longer a candidates team remains in the playoffs. Good assistants get hired by other new HC’s. The rule was changed as coaches were being punished for their team’s success. 

I hope he gets the job so we can get a more seasoned OC, hopefully one that understands how to consistently incorporate the run game and also scheme receivers open.  

Dorsey isn't a disaster, he has done a decent job in his first season as an OC.  But he still has weak spots like in game adjustments, poor redzone play calling, lack of consistency in using our running backs, and lack of creativity by not scheming guys open more.

• Agree 3

45 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I kinda like Ken but don't love him as an OC. This seems a little premature on Carolina's part.  If we do lose KD, I'd immediately go after Riech. 

Would be interesting to see if McD would go that route.  My take on Dorsey is as an ex QB he's too enamored with the pass.  So not sure I'd want to grab another ex QB for OC position.  That may have been the advantage of Daboll, not being an ex player.

Good. Nothing like a good post season on offense to boost his chances. Not that he wouldn’t be focused to begin with but Dorsey now has an extra incentive for the Bills offense to be humming.

Edited by Beast

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Under the old rules it was not allowed. Coaches complained it was costing them opportunities to move up. A new HC needs to assemble a staff. That’s a lot harder to do the longer a candidates team remains in the playoffs. Good assistants get hired by other new HC’s. The rule was changed as coaches were being punished for their team’s success. 

I know that, but they should have a coach hiring season right after the Super Bowl. That would be a massive media event that would keep the NFL relevant for just about the only period when people stop paying attention to the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Two things:

1.) The Bills -- rightly, in my opinion -- proposed a rule in recent years to disallow this type of thing. They proposed that all head coaching interviews should be held until after the Super Bowl. It was a logical, reasonable proposal, and it should have passed, but it didn't.

2.) Have to think "the hay is in the barn" by Saturday. That is to say, by that point, the gameplan is surely drawn up, the meetings have been held, etc. 

That said, the preparation and mental energy one theoretically has to expend in order to be ready for such an important interview seems notable, and that leads us back to point one. Unfortunately, this type of thing still IS allowed at the moment, and as long as the Bills continue to be one of the NFL's best teams year in and year out, it's going to keep happening and we just have to live with it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.