Isaiah Hodgins Bills made big mistake

Chicagobills

I thought we still had him. 

Fl-fU_TXgAIvcbJ?format=jpg&name=large

In all seriousness, Daboll could've signed Hodgins at any time when he was on our practice squad.  Let's just let this one play out until we think Beane made a Wyatt Teller type mistake.

Edited by Doc Brown

When compared to Gabe Davis I feel he runs better routes, catches cleaner, and has more YAC ability.

I don’t think we should compare to Davis only though. His first couple years he was being developed as a big slot. He could’ve been our slot WR over McKenzie this season.

This will be an interesting development to watch. I can’t blame Beane too much as he was a lower pick and just never saw the field. Plus injuries kept the Bills from getting a good look at him in previous seasons.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

On 1/15/2023 at 11:49 PM, Mango said:

Clearly the staff thinks he (and Hodgins) are not better than McKenzie. The conversation is are they wrong/did they make a mistake?

it wasn't a mistake had they kept McKenzie in the fold as a gimmick player, a guy that in a play can give you options to stretch the field horizontally. Dorsey has failed to use McKenzie for what his value was for the team last year. McKenzie, for better or worse, has been underutilized in this offense, therefore, a guy like Hodgins would have been more valuable instead of him. 

2 hours ago, Nelius said:

Instead of making a thread, just bet the Hodgins overs for the past 5 weeks. 

He always had graded potential, that's why he was a Bill. I don't quite understand the Kumerow love myself and would swap him for Hodgins in a heartbeat, but it's hard to overanalyze those last roster spot positions. This thread is correct in that Hodgins is better than Kumerow in my opinion. How crazy would this message board be if Kumerow flashed for 400 yards and 4 touchdowns? sheesh

Brings up another good point that Hodgins didn't play special teams...

Coaching staff lack of giving young players opportunities. You can only prove so much in practice. We have had struggles all season at WR and we just pulled in two old fellas in December to help out. They had  Shakir higher on the depth chart then Hodgins and still hardly use him. Glad he seen some time Sunday but it would be less if McKenzie wasn’t hurt. Also nice to see Hodgins getting an opportunity

Hodgins isn’t a good run blocker and doesn’t play special teams. Those seem very important to this coaching staff for depth WR. Props to Hodgins making the most of his situation though. I think I would have kept him over Kumerow, Brown or Beasley. I would like Shakir to get more targets.

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2023 at 4:38 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

When compared to Gabe Davis I feel he runs better routes, catches cleaner, and has more YAC ability.

I don’t think we should compare to Davis only though. His first couple years he was being developed as a big slot. He could’ve been our slot WR over McKenzie this season.

This will be an interesting development to watch. I can’t blame Beane too much as he was a lower pick and just never saw the field. Plus injuries kept the Bills from getting a good look at him in previous seasons.

He doesn't.  His is 2.1 yards.  YBC only 8.5, he's a slot/dump off/checkdown WR.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He doesn't.  His is 2.1 yards.  YBC only 8.5, he's a slot/dump off/checkdown WR.

You’re right. Davis did grade better in YAC than Hodgins on some analytics sites. Neither are particularly good at YAC. 

I just feel Davis looks uncomfortable with the football in his hands.

• Eyeroll 1

50 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You’re right. Davis did grade better in YAC than Hodgins on some analytics sites. Neither are particularly good at YAC. 

Must be why he catches it once per week. My biggest fear out of him is slightly better than last year. I want him to either boom or bust hard if we're going to entertain any type of contract talk w/ him

On 1/15/2023 at 4:27 PM, UmbrellaMan said:

Wyatt Teller still is the worst, but Hodgins is moving up the list.

Let's just wait & see Isaiah play in year 2 getting throws from the Dabol yr2 version of D. Jones.  If he does well then yes it will be another Wyatt Teller blunder.  Wasn't Crowder hurt before Hodgins was poached?

On 1/15/2023 at 4:29 PM, ArtVandalay said:

Because Dabol is the brains of the Bills offense, and he's gone took Hodgins as soon as he was available. 

Should have left McD in KC after his latest postseason meltdown,  13 seconds, and elevated Dabol. 

We've seen many a coach left on the tarmac.  And honestly 13 seconds will go down in coaching  blunder lore.  

1 hour ago, balln said:

Did anyone hear beane ? They didn’t keep him bc he didn’t play special teams ……eye roll

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-brandon-beane-explains-isaiah-hodgins-cut/

I took that in a little differently. He said that they want that 5th wide receiver spot to have special teams ability. On the surface it sounds like Beane let Hodgins go to keep Kumerow. That is not true. He let Hodgins go to keep McKenzie/Shakir…Beane is basically saying that Hodgins was not in their top 4 and didn’t play special teams so he was expendable. The mistake they made here was keeping McKenzie over Hodgins. You can totally justify keeping Hodgins over McKenzie if you intend to have him be a part of the offense. But you can’t justify keeping Hodgins over guys you need on gameday, special teams guys.  

If I recall, it was at the trade deadline when they had a bit of a roster crunch adding Marlowe and Tre White coming off IR and they probably thought they could slip him through. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

look at his YBC.  It’s huge.  He’s not out there for the check down…

On 1/18/2023 at 6:37 AM, LeGOATski said:

Brings up another good point that Hodgins didn't play special teams...

This special teams nonsense has got to be put to bed at some point, STs is where players that are bad at there primary positions get put for lack 

of something else to do with them, it’s the same on every team league wide, enough already. 

7 hours ago, balln said:

Did anyone hear beane ? They didn’t keep him bc he didn’t play special teams ……eye roll

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-brandon-beane-explains-isaiah-hodgins-cut/

We need thr following traits in a WR:

1. Can win against single coverage/top corners.

2. Can win against press or zone

3. YAC ability

4. Deep ball/speed ability

5. Reliable hands/catching

6. Solid blocking

Basically, looking for a well-rounded #2 to play opposite Diggs. 

Hodgins brings 1, maybe 2, of those traits above.

Gabe brings 2, maybe 3 of those.  He has potential to be our #2, unlike Hodgins, and was given every opportunity to take that job this year.  But he was too inconsistent.

To me, we should be looking for a WR early.  If thr right guy falls in round 1, or more likely in the 2nd-3rd round range.

21 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

We need thr following traits in a WR:

1. Can win against single coverage/top corners.

2. Can win against press or zone

3. YAC ability

4. Deep ball/speed ability

5. Reliable hands/catching

6. Solid blocking

Basically, looking for a well-rounded #2 to play opposite Diggs. 

Hodgins brings 1, maybe 2, of those traits above.

Gabe brings 2, maybe 3 of those.  He has potential to be our #2, unlike Hodgins, and was given every opportunity to take that job this year.  But he was too inconsistent.

To me, we should be looking for a WR early.  If thr right guy falls in round 1, or more likely in the 2nd-3rd round range.

Unfortunately, there are exactly zero receivers in the draft that do all of those things. For the mid round guys, it’s not even close to meeting that criteria. Maybe the top guys like Johnston have a shot, those guys are out of reach. 

There aren’t really guys in free agency who meet that criteria either. Basically it’s OBJ, or bust if you want those six criteria. 

If you really want all that, you are basically looking for another Diggs. It would have to OBJ or be a vet for trade. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Unfortunately, there are exactly zero receivers in the draft that do all of those things. For the mid round guys, it’s not even close to meeting that criteria. Mayne the top guys like Johnston have a shot, those guys are out of reach. 

There aren’t really guys in free agency who meet that criteria either. Basically it’s OBJ, or bust if you want those six criteria. 

If you really want all that, you are basically looking for another Diggs. It would have to OBJ or be a vet for trade. 

My larger point is:

1. We need a legit WR2

2. Gabe was closer to that, than Hodgins, and we should be setting our bar above Isiah (hence why he's no longer here)

Understandable we aren't going to chrck all those boxes, that's the list for a Wr1.  But we should be trying to either draft/sign someone who checks most OR build our Wr room in a complimentary style to achieve that...I'd say that's why teams like the Steelers draft a Wr in rounds 2-4 most years, and have been very successful building complimentary skill players. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.