Isaiah Hodgins Bills made big mistake

Chicagobills

Meh... he's going to be in line for his second contract soon.  Drafted in the same class as Gabe Davis.  

Could he help this year?  Maybe..  Not sure Allen would be throwing to him like DJ is.  What would Khalil Shakir look like if you swapped him out for Hodgins in NYG?

I think the Bills have what they want for these playoffs..  Diggs and Davis outside.  Beasley in the slot, mix/match with Shakir/McKenzie/Brown.  Diggs is Diggs, Playoff Gabe and Allen/Beasley look to finally have found their groove after another clunky looking out route throw and the deflected interception.  

I come away from Sunday, frustrated by the dumb mistakes that need to be cleaned up moving forward, but heartened by the fact this WR room is healthy and looks like what we expected to have as we make a run to the Super Bowl.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

No, this isn't right.  He was signed to the Bills 53-man roster on October 8, after we lost McKenzie to concussion and Crowder to a broken leg during the Ravens game.  We were already without Kumerow to a high-ankle sprain during the Dolphins game, so we called up Tanner Gentry.    At the same time, we signed Ja'Marcus Ingram (DB) and elevated Joe Giles-Harris due to injuries at DB and LB.  It was a really tough stretch for injuries and a roster "numbers game.

Hodgins stayed on the 53-man roster until 11/1, when we had to make roster moves to make room for Dean Marlowe (trade) and Tre White (end of his 21-day window to return from PUP. 

The problem was, at that point Spencer Brown had been out the previous week, was questionable and in fact did not play against the Jets; Mitch Morse was on injury report with an elbow; Matt Milano had an oblique injury, was questionable, and did not play; Jordan Poyer was "out" with an elbow injury; and Tre White was not going to play.  So we weren't able to cut someone on OL, LB, or DB and still assure having enough players to field at those positions.

I'm sure Beane didn't want to cut Hodgins, but at the time Kumerow was back, had played the previous week, and played that week and the following week before landing on IR, so in terms of numbers at different positions on the roster, it made sense.  I know people here don't value Kumerow as a WR and don't value ST, but Beane does both.  If he'd had a "crystal ball" to know Kumerow would only make it two more games before landing on IR, I'm sure he'd have kept Hodgins.

BTW we cut Brandin Bryant the same day as Hodgins and he was picked up by the Texans.  Pretty sure Beane didn't like that either, but they released him a month later and Beane took him back. 

it depends…was he a PS transfer to roster vs a cut.

either way the giants coukd take him. It was reported as a claim from the PS that I read.

18 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

it depends…was he a PS transfer to roster vs a cut.

either way the giants coukd take him. It was reported as a claim from the PS that I read.

It was reported in error then, because he was on the active roster and claimed when he was cut and went through waivers.

The difference is, when you're waived and claimed thru waivers, you have no choice - the team with the highest priorty that puts in a claim is your new team.

When you're on the practice squad and a team offers to sign you, you can say "Yes" or you can say "No"

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/transactions/2022  look at Nov 1

https://www.giants.com/team/transactions/2022  look at Nov 2

https://www.giants.com/news/isaiah-hodgins-claimed-waivers-buffalo-bills-oregon-state-beavers-brian-daboll

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I am glad he is doing well because he has worked hard to get healthy but between his injuries and the fact that he is not Diggs and does not fill a special role like a slot receiver or a big body guy then he was unfortunately expendable. 

Well, he coulda been a big body guy for us.  He's 6'4"

But basically, I think Josh Allen's eyes scan the field and mentally remove anyone who is short of the sticks from pass reception consideration so not sure it matters.

Now the 10,000 question we released Tanner Gentry from practice squad today

Do the Giants sign him?

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

But basically, I think Josh Allen's eyes scan the field and mentally remove anyone who is short of the sticks from pass reception consideration so not sure it matters.

Do the Giants sign him?

He's never played like a big body guy. He's always reminded me of David Nelson.

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He's never played like a big body guy. He's always reminded me of David Nelson.

I don't know that I agree with that.  He showed a talent (IMO) for using his body to box out defenders and make contested catches.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how much scope for that we have in our offense, and I don't think he was particularly good at gaining a clean release off the line.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I don't know that I agree with that.  He showed a talent (IMO) for using his body to box out defenders and make contested catches.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how much scope for that we have in our offense, and I don't think he was particularly good at gaining a clean release off the line.

Never saw that. Gabe Davis showed more of a propensity for that than Hodgins.

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Do the Giants sign him?

I did not realize he was 6'4" so I take back that part. I am surprised now that when Crowder went down we did not elevate him immediately- maybe he was already gone since I don't remember timelines.

1 minute ago, Orlando Tim said:

I did not realize he was 6'4" so I take back that part. I am surprised now that when Crowder went down we did not elevate him immediately- maybe he was already gone since I don't remember timelines.

He was on the roster when Crowder broke his leg.

Hodgins was signed immediately to the 53 man roster and played in 2 games for us, stayed on the roster for a month

vs. Pittsburgh, he had 4 receptions on 6 targets for 45 yds.

It was after we had to open a roster spot and chose to cut him (a month later) that the Giants poached him off waivers.

10 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Hodgins is the #1 WR in NY and is getting the targets that come with that. Good for him that he's making the most of that chance, but I'm sure that the Giants will upgrade the position in the off season.

Outside of the 2 Viking games, his top performance has been 44 yards. Not sure what he is doing that isn't replaceable by someone on our roster.

• Agree 2

Instead of making a thread, just bet the Hodgins overs for the past 5 weeks. 

He always had graded potential, that's why he was a Bill. I don't quite understand the Kumerow love myself and would swap him for Hodgins in a heartbeat, but it's hard to overanalyze those last roster spot positions. This thread is correct in that Hodgins is better than Kumerow in my opinion. How crazy would this message board be if Kumerow flashed for 400 yards and 4 touchdowns? sheesh

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.