Isaiah Hodgins Bills made big mistake

Chicagobills

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

This special teams nonsense has got to be put to bed at some point, STs is where players that are bad at there primary positions get put for lack 

of something else to do with them, it’s the same on every team league wide, enough already. 

I don't see anything wrong with it. He couldn't crack the starting lineup. So, (and it seems like you agree?) he should've played special teams.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't see anything wrong with it. He couldn't crack the starting lineup. So, (and it seems like you agree?) he should've played special teams.

Actually I mean he can catch the ball, unlike others who had problems doing so,  he should have been used on the offense, and that ST comes a distance 2nd in importance to being a competent receiver, which he has shown to be, iirc he had noticeably more TDs than McKenzie, and was on par with Gabe’s production in points scored, so the the “couldn’t crack the roster” thing,  is more that the OC couldn’t figure out what to do with him, and kept pushing the square peg into a round hole so to speak, versus anything else. STs has some importants, but not near the level that having  a well rounded out WR group has, its l not even close. 

17 hours ago, balln said:

Did anyone hear beane ? They didn’t keep him bc he didn’t play special teams ……eye roll

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-brandon-beane-explains-isaiah-hodgins-cut/

So you would rather a #5/#6 WR contribute nothing and just sit on the sidelines?  You know most teams WR last on the depth chart are usually Special Teams Players…

8 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Actually I mean he can catch the ball, unlike others who had problems doing so,  he should have been used on the offense, and that ST comes a distance 2nd in importance to being a competent receiver, which he has shown to be, iirc he had noticeably more TDs than McKenzie, and was on par with Gabe’s production in points scored, so the the “couldn’t crack the roster” thing,  is more that the OC couldn’t figure out what to do with him, and kept pushing the square peg into a round hole so to speak, versus anything else. STs has some importants, but not near the level that having  a well rounded out WR group has, its l not even close. 

Oh, you're one of those. Based on what you saw, he's obviously better than the Bills starters. Got it.

Maybe if he played special teams he would've gotten more playing time.

31 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Oh, you're one of those. Based on what you saw, he's obviously better than the Bills starters. Got it.

Maybe if he played special teams he would've gotten more playing time.

Lol, so your one of those special teams is more important that the offense guys.., lol…,  Let’s see if we can both post more silly statements, its your turn now, 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Lol, so your one of those special teams is more important that the offense guys.., lol…,  Let’s see if we can both post more silly statements, its your turn now, 

Yours is silly enough for the both of us.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yours is silly enough for the both of us.

Oh, I had no idea you are always the sage one, lol, 😁 you are doing well with the silly statements, thanks for participating, 👍

GO BILLS!!!

I'm of the mind that the Bills should have been favoring WRs with offensive potential, versus ST value. When you've got your QB, it's time to recalibrate your depth chart accordingly. Find ST elsewhere if necessary. Hodgins showed promise from his first camp, but had difficulty staying healthy. Also, it sure seems like the Bills wanted him to lineup almost exclusively on the boundary, whereas in college, and again with the Giants, there was a decent amount of slot production. He reminds me a little of David Nelson. 

On 1/15/2023 at 7:21 PM, Chicagobills said:

This dude can play and we all knew it. Why wasn’t he given an opportunity?

It was a small mistake, and sure, they should have used him, that’s obvious,  he would have been no worse and  likely better than McKenzie/our other slot options, but that’s how it goes, most teams have done these sort of things,  Beane will get us a quality WR and we will forgive him…, 👍

On 3/2/2023 at 7:36 AM, Don Otreply said:

Wasn’t it more that the bills had a log jam of middling talent at WR?  Hudge had production equivalent to McKenzie and or Davis on giants but would you have been advocating they cut one of them for hudgins?

They probably didn’t wish to lose him from the practice squad but it seems like they have to take risks moving the fringe players on and off the active roster and sometimes you lose. 

It will be interesting to see what happens this season 

6 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Wasn’t it more that the bills had a log jam of middling talent at WR?  Hudge had production equivalent to McKenzie and or Davis on giants but would you have been advocating they cut one of them for hudgins?

They probably didn’t wish to lose him from the practice squad but it seems like they have to take risks moving the fringe players on and off the active roster and sometimes you lose. 

Hodgins scored iirc,  7 TDs that’s double or more than McKenzie…, or any other slot receiver we have, yes, different circumstances for certain, but he was evidently able to produce those TDs through play design and being used in an effective fashion…, 

Like I said, “a small mistake” 

GO BILLS!!!

On 3/2/2023 at 9:36 PM, Don Otreply said:

I know, I mean Hodgins is a real talent. 

392 yards. Wow!! I mean, he almost got as many as our other Isaiah who we may well not re-sign. 

I mean, Hodgins cleared 42 yards in ... how many .... in one game. Holy moses!!!!! And Gabe vs. Hodgins, 7 TDs vs. 4 TDs is not "on par." Nor is more than double the yards.

If there's anyone he's close to on par with, it's McKenzie. One example is that McKenzie and Hodgins both had 4 TDs.

On 1/15/2023 at 7:29 PM, ArtVandalay said:

Because Dabol is the brains of the Bills offense, and he's gone took Hodgins as soon as he was available. 

Should have left McD in KC after his latest postseason meltdown,  13 seconds, and elevated Dabol. 

Yawn, another tool who actually thinks he knows more than guys who have been involved in coaching/team building in the NFL for decades.  I'm sure you're an expert WebMD doctor too.

On 3/6/2023 at 11:17 AM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I know special teams gets brought up a lot, but he was behind crowder/Mckenzie/Shakir to start the year in the slot.  So he played boundary since those 3 are all making the roster ahead of him.

And I thought he had a nice pre-season, but to be the 6th WR on like ANY team, and to be active on a gameday... you must play special teams.  He's a lot younger than Kumerow, but i don't think Kumerow is a bad player either... he was just hurt all year.  Same with Crowder.  

So he went to the PS... and nobody took him.  The only reason the giants did?  They traded Toney, Robinson was hurt again, Shepard was hurt, Golladay was hurt and ineffective.  So 4 guys they expected to contribute were out, and they had slayton and James starting so they needed... bodies at that point.  He did well with the opportunity that he was given.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I know, I mean Hodgins is a real talent. 

392 yards. Wow!! I mean, he almost got as many as our other Isaiah who we may well not re-sign. 

I mean, Hodgins cleared 42 yards in ... how many .... in one game. Holy moses!!!!! And Gabe vs. Hodgins, 7 TDs vs. 4 TDs is not "on par." Nor is more than double the yards.

If there's anyone he's close to on par with, it's McKenzie. One example is that McKenzie and Hodgins both had 4 TDs.

So I’ll eat the TD crow, serve it up, lol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.