They (Those Mean Old Democrats) Are Coming For Our Gas Stoves!!

Tiberius

3 hours ago, ALF said:

A shocking video shows a row of electric F-150s bursting into flames after EV batteries overheated and caught on fire.  

First responders sound alarm over EV batteries after electric F-150s burst into flames: 'Totally different'

https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/first-responders-ev-batteries-electric-f150s-catch-fire

I can just imagine the high insurance cost when most become electric

what’s the carbon footprint of a burning EV f150? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Are right-wingers ridiculously conspiratorial in their thinking? Absolutely.

So the lefties don't aid their cause by doing something that clearly proves their conspiratorial point.

This isn't about safety, or indoor CO emissions, or whatever. It is about nudging the American public toward an all-electric future, presumably with that electricity being produced by renewable energy. No gas connections to your residence = you have to get a heat pump instead of a gas furnace.

• Eyeroll 1

30 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

This isn't about safety, or indoor CO emissions, or whatever. It is about nudging the American public toward an all-electric future, presumably with that electricity being produced by renewable energy. 

And there you have it.

Hidden beneath the usual snark.

• Thank you (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Are right-wingers ridiculously conspiratorial in their thinking? Absolutely.

So the lefties don't aid their cause by doing something that clearly proves their conspiratorial point.

This isn't about safety, or indoor CO emissions, or whatever. It is about nudging the American public toward an all-electric future, presumably with that electricity being produced by renewable energy. No gas connections to your residence = you have to get a heat pump instead of a gas furnace.

My observation is conspiracy theories of many shapes and sizes arise when "the story" inexplicably is contradicted by some set of facts or there is an unwillingness of "officials" and "experts" to address questions and inconsistencies in the story that are both logical and reasonable. 

But in the case of the gas stove ban story it was never a conspiracy.  It was true.  The conspiracy was generated by people denying there was an initiative to ban gas stoves.  Not the people that concluded a ban was being entertained.  They were correct.  I'd also suggest its correct to expect this will do absolutely nothing to positively impact the amount of carbon emission produced.  

The conspiracy I see in the Climate movement is a mistaken belief that renewables and some unknown magical materials are going to replace all the energy output and petrochemical sourced materials like plastics derived of fossil fuels.  I think that's fantasy.  Like it or not, accept it or not, believe it or not, the future path these politicians are leading us down is a lower standard of living for the peasants.  Unless somebody has a warp drive engine in their basement?    

• Thank you (+1) 3

First time reading the first posts in here by our resident Commies.  

Somehow deflecting this to draw a parallel to abortion?  

Are you freaking kidding me?  

Just say you’re climate nazi cultist power hungry lunatics and call it a day instead of looking as pathetic, partisan, and stupid as you do.  

47 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

How does this destroy the owner of the Bills and eventually force him to sell the team?  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The conspiracy I see in the Climate movement is a mistaken belief that renewables and some unknown magical materials are going to replace all the energy output

They will. The problem is "how soon?"

The magical material is nuclear to supplement renewables.

I would love to have a heat pump to replace my gas furnace. My climate is really marginal for that. On the coldest days, I'd need to supplement it with something like electric room heaters, which would be really, really expensive. Technology will improve. 

But attempts to ban gas stoves as a way to get there is stupid, and it only encourages backlash.

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I would love to have a heat pump to replace my gas furnace. My climate is really marginal for that. On the coldest days, I'd need to supplement it with something like electric room heaters, which would be really, really expensive. Technology will improve. 

But attempts to ban gas stoves as a way to get there is stupid, and it only encourages backlash.

Nuke plants are not being built in the USA. 

https://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/current-and-future-generation/plans-for-new-reactors-worldwide.aspx

heat pump is worthless in the north.  as you stated. 

Do agree about banning gas stoves, that's just going to get pushback cause its dumb.

Edited by Chris farley
  • Like (+1) 1

If you let folks burn more fossil fuels your heat pump would eventually be all you need 😉 

• Haha (+1) 1

This is so clueless it's not worth discussing.  I'll just say, "Energy policy" is not a personal choice.

Our society is in deep trouble with these radical Leftist Biden cabal members in charge of ANYTHING, much less any form of Energy policy.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ALF said:

Does anyone in WNY have experience with a heat pump ?

We're in NH and will install a ground source heat pump in the next few years.  NH is all rock so we will need to install vertical loops rather than the horizontal "slinky" loops.  The vertical loops require a well company to bore a number of holes as they would a well.  This is expensive which is why we are delaying the installation until I have convinced myself to retire from harvesting wood.

We currently use a Heat Siphon air source heat pump to heat our pool.  It does well in warm and humid weather but the COP drops significantly as the temperature gets into the 50's.  I would advise anyone looking into an air-source/mini-split to evaluate the COP in their climate as many areas require auxiliary electric resistance heat when it gets very cold outside.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Precision said:

We're in NH and will install a ground source heat pump in the next few years.  NH is all rock so we will need to install vertical loops rather than the horizontal "slinky" loops.  The vertical loops require a well company to bore a number of holes as they would a well.  This is expensive which is why we are delaying the installation until I have convinced myself to retire from harvesting wood.

We currently use a Heat Siphon air source heat pump to heat our pool.  It does well in warm and humid weather but the COP drops significantly as the temperature gets into the 50's.  I would advise anyone looking into an air-source/mini-split to evaluate the COP in their climate as many areas require auxiliary electric resistance heat when it gets very cold outside.

What you are describing is geothermal.

We did that in our last home build.

If the heat sink is largely rock, make sure that there is some exchange media between the "pluming" and the rock.

6 minutes ago, sherpa said:

What you are describing is geothermal.

We did that in our last home build.

If the heat sink is largely rock, make sure that there is some exchange media between the "pluming" and the rock.

Correct.  The quotes we received had the contactors backfilling with sand as that also tends to provide some give between the loop pipe and the rock.  I'm not ready to give up the chainsaw just yet so it doesn't make sense to install it until I do. 

We have considered installing solar panels as well since the pool is an electric hog and with the home using electricity for the heat pump it makes a lot of sense.  NH electricity rates are outrageous as we pay $350 a month all year long!

Having done this, the exchange between the plumbing and the earth really affects efficiency.

I'm sure you have very qualified contractors, but sand, while allowing movement between the loop and the earth, does not provide the most efficient heat transfer.

We used rock powder, which is a  more efficient transfer medium, but I'm sure your contractors know best.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sherpa said:

Having done this, the exchange between the plumbing and the earth really affects efficiency.

I'm sure you have very qualified contractors, but sand, while allowing movement between the loop and the earth, does not provide the most efficient heat transfer.

We used rock powder, which is a  more efficient transfer medium, but I'm sure your contractors know best.

I have no idea what is best, I appreciate the information regarding the rock powder.  I know they drill deep for the vertical loops and our well is 280' down.  Not sure if that would have anything to do with it either, I would hope the loops for the pump would be shallower than the well.  I have a fair amount of research to do before we pull the trigger and I've been negligent on this as we are still a couple of years away.  Thank you for the information!

6 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I've followed the nuclear industry for over 20 years as a potential investment opportunity.  And along the way I've heard glowing stories from lots of experts and promotors about how plants will be built and uranium demand will follow.  Sadly, all of the activity has been on the decommissioning side and environmentalist have killed the domestic uranium mining industry.   Leading suppliers Kazakhstan  and Canada.  While I agree using nuclear power for base load applications makes sense when are we as a nation getting started on the plan?  It takes maybe 12 to 15 years from concept to operations to bring a reactor online.  The clocks ticking and nothing much is happening.  It's now or never or we'll be facing an electric generation shortfall disaster without natgas and coal.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Oh what’s this? 

meanwhile she is making it easier for electrical utility to use gas to produce electricity?? Her donors???? What?????

https://jacobin.com/2023/04/kathy-hochul-methane-emissions-corporate-lobbying-clcpa-green-energy#:~:text=The energy company Avangrid%2C which,at the firm donated %244%2C500. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I've followed the nuclear industry for over 20 years as a potential investment opportunity.  And along the way I've heard glowing stories from lots of experts and promotors about how plants will be built and uranium demand will follow.  Sadly, all of the activity has been on the decommissioning side and environmentalist have killed the domestic uranium mining industry.   Leading suppliers Kazakhstan  and Canada.  While I agree using nuclear power for base load applications makes sense when are we as a nation getting started on the plan?  It takes maybe 12 to 15 years from concept to operations to bring a reactor online.  The clocks ticking and nothing much is happening.  It's now or never or we'll be facing an electric generation shortfall disaster without natgas and coal.  

the Left has ruined the Western Hemisphere.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Thank God we have those rightist communists in China to save the Eastern Hemishphere.

(Do you actually read what you've written before clicking "Submit Reply?")

Do you think China is what we want? Your response shows the understanding of our nation of a 3 year old. 

• Agree 1

I would love to see a study discussing the energy efficiency of gas versus electric taking into account the grid and distribution systems for both gas and electric. 

A house can use natural gas "as is" whereas electric needs to be generated somewhere and distributed to a house.  If the electric grid is using gas fired power plants the efficiency of the electric generation is under 65%.  Other electric generation may or may not be better, but you will still have losses of around 5% for transmission.  

Can't help but feel this is a step backwards as even though the amount of power generated could be the same the efficiency is likely much lower from electric generation and distribution.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/5/2023 at 8:41 AM, Precision said:

I would love to see a study discussing the energy efficiency of gas versus electric taking into account the grid and distribution systems for both gas and electric. 

A house can use natural gas "as is" whereas electric needs to be generated somewhere and distributed to a house.  If the electric grid is using gas fired power plants the efficiency of the electric generation is under 65%.  Other electric generation may or may not be better, but you will still have losses of around 5% for transmission.  

Can't help but feel this is a step backwards as even though the amount of power generated could be the same the efficiency is likely much lower from electric generation and distribution.

you would be exactly correct in your questioning.

to cook on a gas stove, one ignites the gas directly from the high efficiency burner to directly heat the pan.  The flame and burner design maximize efficiency of heat transfer to the pan. Because it’s instant control and intimate contact between heat source and pan it is efficient.

to cook on an electric stove, you will burn gas oil or coal to heat up water into steam that spins turbines to create electricity.  That energy is then transferred over high loss lines, to homes where electric coils need to be heated and have much Less efficiently heat transfer to the pan. (Unless you go for the really expensive high end induction stoves) 

in my college days I did a similar calculation for thermodynamics and electric scenario was 2-3 times the gas consumption. 

I’m sure the electrical utility companies that lined Hocul’s pockets approve. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

you would be exactly correct in your questioning.

to cook on a gas stove, one ignites the gas directly from the high efficiency burner to directly heat the pan.  The flame and burner design maximize efficiency of heat transfer to the pan. Because it’s instant control and intimate contact between heat source and pan it is efficient.

to cook on an electric stove, you will burn gas oil or coal to heat up water into steam that spins turbines to create electricity.  That energy is then transferred over high loss lines, to homes where electric coils need to be heated and have much Less efficiently heat transfer to the pan. (Unless you go for the really expensive high end induction stoves) 

in my college days I did a similar calculation for thermodynamics and electric scenario was 2-3 times the gas consumption. 

I’m sure the electrical utility companies that lined Hocul’s pockets approve. 

Nothing but net SWOOSH !!! & 1 !!!!

On 5/5/2023 at 10:08 AM, BillsFanNC said:

The looks like a diseased brain of some creature, definitely not  human.

I TA'd a class on physiology for possible PT majors and that looks more like a cat brain. We had a pair of cow lungs  in the lab  (preserved and dried of course). At first I thought they were styrofoam, they were so light, but then I realized they were real.

Edited by Wacka
Finally read the bottom. That is a walnut!

1) "This is a right wing disinformation conspiracy theory"

2) "This isn't really happening"

3) "This is happening, and here's why it's good"

4) "If you oppose this happening, you are a bigot"