They (Those Mean Old Democrats) Are Coming For Our Gas Stoves!!

Tiberius

in the big picture its just moronic to move to Electric end devices when the Electric infrastructure and sources have not been increased to meet said demand.

France has cheap electricity. Cause they have Nuke plants all over and embrace it.

Asia is building nuke and other energy plants as fast as possible.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chris farley said:

in the big picture its just moronic to move to Electric end devices when the Electric infrastructure and sources have not been increased to meet said demand.

France has cheap electricity. Cause they have Nuke plants all over and embrace it.

That's been this Admin's strategy from the beginning.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Chris farley said:

Completely correct. I still haven’t seen much if any discussion about increasing our electricity SUPPLY. There’s a whole lot of yapping about increasing the DEMAND. Seems like a recipe for disaster. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When I lived in CA. they were covering parking lots with solar panels. There it made sense. Besides it being sunny from  March- October, the canopy holding the panels shaded the parking spots. That stop\ed your dash from cracking and your car wasn't an oven.

• Like (+1) 2

Huh.

Washington Post says there’s pressure growing to ban gas stoves, which we were told was a hoax

Here’s how it went down: The news broke earlier this month that the US Consumer Product Safety Commission was considering a ban on gas stoves, which (allegedly) cause childhood asthma. They immediately tried to walk that back, saying a ban was never on the table and the idea was only “floated” by Commissioner Richard Trumka Jr. in an interview with Bloomberg.

Suddenly it became a culture war thing. The Washington Post reported that it was Republicans who had “thrust gas stoves … into the culture wars.” “Morning Joe” mocked Republicans for their “meltdown over gas stoves.” California State Senator Scott Wiener got the last laugh, pulling up a chart showing that gas stoves are a blue state thing; the hicks in the flyover states already use electric stoves.

But again, even though it was Trumka who brought it up, WaPo says it was Republicans who made it a front in the culture wars.

Now the Washington Post is saying pressure is growing to ban natural gas and has experts explain how to swap out your gas-burning stove.......LOL

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2023/01/24/washington-post-says-theres-pressure-growing-to-ban-gas-stoves-which-we-were-told-was-a-hoax/

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wacka said:

When I lived in CA. they were covering parking lots with solar panels. There it made sense. Besides it being sunny from  March- October, the canopy holding the panels shaded the parking spots. That stop\ed your dash from cracking and your car wasn't an oven.

That’s still a very common application. Public school campuses are one of the main targets. The company provides the structure and the panels and takes a cut of the energy savings. It’s call a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA). Unfortunately these type of financial deals are all based on the projection of the rate of increase in costs for electricity. They often go sour when the initial guess was overly aggressive. 

• Like (+1) 1

How much money will you get with the Inflation Reduction Act?

https://www.rewiringamerica.org/app/ira-calculator

Heat Pump Water Heater               $1,750    Late 2023    More Info
Heat Pump Air Conditioner/Heater    $8,000    Late 2023    More Info
Heat Pump Clothes Dryer                 $840    Late 2023

I never knew anyone up north having a heat pump or how difficult to convert.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ALF said:

How much money will you get with the Inflation Reduction Act?

https://www.rewiringamerica.org/app/ira-calculator

Heat Pump Water Heater               $1,750    Late 2023    More Info
Heat Pump Air Conditioner/Heater    $8,000    Late 2023    More Info
Heat Pump Clothes Dryer                 $840    Late 2023

I never knew anyone up north having a heat pump or how difficult to convert.

Everything I over read said only with mild winters. Thermal is what, 55 degrees. 

On 1/25/2023 at 3:36 PM, B-Man said:

Huh.

Washington Post says there’s pressure growing to ban gas stoves, which we were told was a hoax

Here’s how it went down: The news broke earlier this month that the US Consumer Product Safety Commission was considering a ban on gas stoves, which (allegedly) cause childhood asthma. They immediately tried to walk that back, saying a ban was never on the table and the idea was only “floated” by Commissioner Richard Trumka Jr. in an interview with Bloomberg.

Suddenly it became a culture war thing. The Washington Post reported that it was Republicans who had “thrust gas stoves … into the culture wars.” “Morning Joe” mocked Republicans for their “meltdown over gas stoves.” California State Senator Scott Wiener got the last laugh, pulling up a chart showing that gas stoves are a blue state thing; the hicks in the flyover states already use electric stoves.

But again, even though it was Trumka who brought it up, WaPo says it was Republicans who made it a front in the culture wars.

Now the Washington Post is saying pressure is growing to ban natural gas and has experts explain how to swap out your gas-burning stove.......LOL

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2023/01/24/washington-post-says-theres-pressure-growing-to-ban-gas-stoves-which-we-were-told-was-a-hoax/

I converted my old, dirty wood burning fireplace to natural gas about 8 or 9 years ago.  The suggestion here is that if I’m concerned about impact to the environment, I drop $5-7000 to get an electric model with a cool led light and fake crackling w/ no heat, or $15-20,000 to return to a less dirty but dirty wood burner.  

I’m not feeling it, and am currently exploring the ways to beat the system in the event Gas Fireplace Prohibition becomes a thing.  So far, the prevailing wisdom is to offer protection money to the politicians/authorities implementing the rules for the greater good.  

I’ll stay with this story…stay tuned.

29 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I converted my old, dirty wood burning fireplace to natural gas about 8 or 9 years ago.  The suggestion here is that if I’m concerned about impact to the environment, I drop $5-7000 to get an electric model with a cool led light and fake crackling w/ no heat, or $15-20,000 to return to a less dirty but dirty wood burner.  

I’m not feeling it, and am currently exploring the ways to beat the system in the event Gas Fireplace Prohibition becomes a thing.  So far, the prevailing wisdom is to offer protection money to the politicians/authorities implementing the rules for the greater good.  

I’ll stay with this story…stay tuned.

So its not "cost effective"?  That's the bottom line.  When you run the numbers on the renewable "economy" or even an all electric economy, it will  just cost too much along with being less efficient and less reliable..  And if you want to adopt an energy source with those characteristics the implication is you as an individual and society as a whole will become less productive and as a result your standard of living and quality of life will suffer.  

Look at EV's.  If they were cost effective you wouldn't need $7,500 tax credits to entice rich people to buy them. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chris farley said:

Everything I over read said only with mild winters. Thermal is what, 55 degrees. 

I've had gas, geo thermal and heat pump.

I can't see a heat pump only product working north of central Virginia.

What can be done is having a heat pump that is dual fuel, and switches to nat gas/propane below about 45 degrees.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

So it’s not "cost effective"?  That's the bottom line.  When you run the numbers on the renewable "economy" or even an all electric economy, it will  just cost too much along with being less efficient and less reliable..  And if you want to adopt an energy source with those characteristics the implication is you as an individual and society as a whole will become less productive and as a result your standard of living and quality of life will suffer.  

“Suffer” is a strong word here, especially in light of some of the trauma people go through in life.  

I try to be a realist, and while I’m not always successful at separating fact from fiction, I do try. 

I think the argument is silly, and while I recognize the fact that the use of natural gas is not 100% “safe” by all measures, nothing ever is.   In my case, installing the fireplace has reduced our overall  consumption dramatically.  I like that. 

I think some people and organizations use fear as a tool to bludgeon people into submission.  I think technology can be a good thing and if the next generation has the option of completely environmentally friendly heating/cooling and we see a major reduction in climate hypocrisy by those leading the charge for me to sit by a plant light pretending it’s a roaring fire, that’s ok by me.  

In the meantime, it’s cold outside and I’ll click the remote and be grateful for the smart folks who came up with safe click-to-flame technology. 

On 1/25/2023 at 3:36 PM, B-Man said:

Huh.

One incredibly dubious study and the left wants to ban natural gas entirely, meanwhile no amount of SCIENCE!™️ will convince them that a man cannot become a woman.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LeviF said:

One incredibly dubious study and the left wants to ban natural gas entirely, meanwhile no amount of SCIENCE!™️ will convince them that a man cannot become a woman.

Reminds me of this 

How a 9-Year-Old Boy's Statistic Shaped a Debate on Straws

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/business/plastic-straws-ban-fact-check-nyt.html

Claim: Americans use 500 million straws a day.

Claimed by: EcoCycle and others.

Fact check by The New York Times: That estimate is well above the...

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Reminds me of this 

How a 9-Year-Old Boy's Statistic Shaped a Debate on Straws

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/business/plastic-straws-ban-fact-check-nyt.html

Claim: Americans use 500 million straws a day.

Claimed by: EcoCycle and others.

Fact check by The New York Times: That estimate is well above the...

If you operate under a baseline assumption that 90% of these causes have no material impact other than to impose some rule or restriction that creates a nuisance and inconvenience for the general public you'll be right more often than not.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 2

On 1/25/2023 at 3:40 PM, SoCal Deek said:

That’s still a very common application. Public school campuses are one of the main targets. The company provides the structure and the panels and takes a cut of the energy savings. It’s call a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA). Unfortunately these type of financial deals are all based on the projection of the rate of increase in costs for electricity. They often go sour when the initial guess was overly aggressive. 

Kind of like the initial guesses about the savings that would be generated from the ACA (affordable care act, aka Obamacare) and thereby reducing the overall cost of health care for everyone.

Edited by Steve O
  • Thank you (+1) 2