Happy Six Years to Coach McDermott - Moment of Appreciation

BillsGuyOutWest

1 hour ago, BillsGuyOutWest said:

Saw it was his hiring anniversary today. Went back and found the original ESPN article from his hire:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18453441/buffalo-bills-agree-hire-sean-mcdermott-head-coach

Seeing where the team was back then, really makes you appreciate where we are now.

All you need to know is the article contains this line,  "Whomever McDermott hires as offensive coordinator must deal with the potential loss of quarterback Tyrod Taylor."

Think we figured it out.

Remember 7 weeks ago when people wanted to fire McDermott?

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Completely revamped the entire organization from top to bottom.  One of the best rebuilds in all of sports.  If we get a Super Bowl or two will go down as one of the greatest rebuilds of all-time.  

There have been plenty of great rebuilds in sports.  In football they usually come with drafting the right QB.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I had to look him up to see where he was these days! He’s an assistant defensive coach with the Titans, and I was surprised to see the Bills had one more sack in one fewer game that the Titans. Pressure was his calling card, so that kind of surprised me. He was the opposite of what we have now which feels bland and can be frustrating, but it works. 

He is semi-retired. He isn't hands on with the Titans it is a consultant type role. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

One of the best HC's in football and there are still people that want this guy fired. 

The gold standard of longevity and winning records is Mike Tomlin .636

Sean McDermott is only a couple years removed from the rebuild and has a .639

People wanting McD fired definitely went to school on the short bus.

Edited: changed 693 to 639.

Edited by boater
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is semi-retired. He isn't hands on with the Titans it is a consultant type role. 

I was actually just looking at real estate in Nashville. It would be a nice place to be semi-retired. We used to have a condo there and spent a lot of time there (when our grandson was young), almost all of it away from the honky-tonks. Good for him. 

Great place to see the Bills fans take over, too!!! 

He's not Bill Walsh (who is?) and 13 seconds will probably haunt me to my grave but the bottom line is that in the 17 seasons before McDermott the Bills went to the playoffs zero times while in the six seasons he's been the Bills head coach, they've gone to the playoffs five times. Overall, a job extremely well done.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

One of the best HC's in football and there are still people that want this guy fired. 

Over the last three years I am not sure he isnt second only to Andy Reid in terms of coaching.  Would love for this to be the year he finally gets one over on the guy who fired him.

Cant believe people call for this guy's head on a weekly basis.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

I dont understand why McDermott isn’t favored for coach of the year. 

It usually goes to a coach who either

1) turns a losing team around

2) takes a team from good to great

3) is successful in the face of adversity. Like Vrabel go it last year for winning even after losing Henry. 

Given the heartbreaking 13 sec loss, the Tops shooting, two once in a century snowstorms, and having a player near death, what team has faced more adversity than the Bills this century?  Maybe the Saints. And didn’t Payton win coach of the year in 2006?

Im surprised we don’t hear more about McD as COY candidate. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

I dont understand why McDermott isn’t favored for coach of the year. 

It usually goes to a coach who either

1) turns a losing team around

2) takes a team from good to great

3) is successful in the face of adversity. Like Vrabel go it last year for winning even after losing Henry. 

Given the heartbreaking 13 sec loss, the Tops shooting, two once in a century snowstorms, and having a player near death, what team has faced more adversity than the Bills this century?  Maybe the Saints. And didn’t Payton win coach of the year in 2006?

Im surprised we don’t hear more about McD as COY candidate. 

First off I completely agree with you, McDermott is truly deserving of coach of the year and I disagree with the way that award is voted on.  WIth that said you actually hit the nail on the head with your first two bullet points.  But Buffalo is already beyond that point and was already turned around from a losing team and went into this season as Super Bowl favorites so the voters are going to look at that as McDermott having the season he was supposed to have. However I really wish they would take your 3rd point into more consideration because to be 13-3 after all of the adversity the Bills had to face this year is amazing.  In my book he is the coach of the year but sadly the voters won't see it that way.

18 minutes ago, KHAN said:

Remember every day when people post incredibly dumb things?

Yes but sadly it wasn’t just a few knuckleheads in this forum.  There were times when much of the fan base wanted McDermott replaced as last as Week 10 of the season after they dropped two close games.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.