Steelers radio debates signing Tremaine Edmunds

Einstein

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We're not spending a dime over 14-15M for Edmunds. I don't care if it's an extension or tag.  We have way too many issues on the OL and WR to have the luxury of keeping 49. Yes he's played well this season but his time in Buffalo is numbered.

I don’t think the Bills feel we have too many issues on the OL. Saffold is the only player I think could get replaced next year, I also see a situation where all 5 starters come back. The OL has been much better lately.

I would like them to draft an OG early next draft to compete with Saffold.

Edmunds is interesting. He’s a multi year captain but I don’t feel his leadership as a fan. Typically a MLB captain is the vocal leader of the defense. He could lead behind the scenes. 

We will find out exactly what Edmunds means to the Bills very soon. I will be ok with any decision they make on Edmunds. That goes for Ed Oliver as well. I don’t need them to sign either one but I would be ok with either signing.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

fHe needed to take an even bigger step than he has this year for me to be worried about him leaving.

he didn’t. he’s good and a top 12 linebacker in this league (I think?) but you can’t overpay for him. 

I rather use resources to make a solid offensive line. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Tremaine Edmunds is Stephon Gilmore. He’s a player that Bills fans don’t respect or understand how good he is. 

we have been spoiled by average to above average play at linebacker for many, many years. while mcdermott and co. can coach a player up to be successful, especially at LB, edmunds is a very important piece of this defense. that everyone outside of buffalo has such respect for him is telling.

if we lose frazier and need to fill the most important part of our defense with a rookie who calls the signals then we are in trouble.

i don't know if we can afford poyer and edmunds but we need to do our best. me thinks poyer gets signed soon.

also, i seem to remember a few times milano called plays without edmunds playing. it didn't go well, it seemed to stress him out.

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

we have been spoiled by average to above average play at linebacker for many, many years. while mcdermott and co. can coach a player up to be successful, especially at LB, edmunds is a very important piece of this defense. that everyone outside of buffalo has such respect for him is telling.

if we lose frazier and need to fill the most important part of our defense with a rookie who calls the signals then we are in trouble.

i don't know if we can afford poyer and edmunds but we need to do our best. me thinks poyer gets signed soon.

also, i seem to remember a few times milano called plays without edmunds playing. it didn't go well, it seemed to stress him out.

I mean really how hard is it to call plays in… he’s just passing on information he’s not Payton Manning calling his own play, or switching the defense at last second. I think edmunds is a average guy and he doesn’t make a difference when we play KC. Or CIN. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

7 minutes ago, 97bills said:

I mean really how hard is it to call plays in… he’s just passing on information he’s not Payton Manning calling his own play, or switching the defense at last second. I think edmunds is a average guy and he doesn’t make a difference when we play KC. Or CIN. 

It's very difficult because it's not just a. Signal call it is getting it timely and matching the lineup.

You have about 10 seconds to read and announce the play. This is important because the offense can lineup quick. Once called you must make sure the players are in position, the right gap, etc. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Its harder than you think.  You may pass the play call on but you're also coaching on the field, and likely responsible for moving your front seven around if they are out of place.  Don't underestimate that role.   I am not the guys biggest fan but he is a top 5-10 player at his position in the league.

• Agree 1

I've never been a critic of Edmunds, and I'm glad he's playing well.  At the price point we're talking about, I'd rather draft another MLB.  We're going to have to let some good players walk at some point, and unfortunately Edmunds just happens to be on the upper end of that range.

24 minutes ago, 97bills said:

you have to diagnose the lineup of the offense and make sure we have matching schemes in 10 seconds.

when is the last time you saw Edmunds call a timeout when he saw the offense? He doesn't do that, not since he was a rookie. he studies enough that he doesn't face surprises. think of other teams or games you watch on tv. it's not uncommon to see the mlb call a TO when they can't read the offense.

the next time you're watching the game and when the offense lines up - in 5 seconds diagnose which coverage we are (cover 0,1,2,etc) and determine if we have a 3 down lineman front, which side is strong side and if we need zone or man based on what the offense is doing and who lines up where. it's not easy. i've only seen a couple of other fans able to do this in a timely manner. and those fans are like Romo used to be and telegraph the play.

in a general game when i am in person, in good viewing i can diagnose at least half of the plays pre snap. the houston playoff game was super fun because it was so easy with how basic our offense was i called two entire series pre snap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t think the Bills feel we have too many issues on the OL. Saffold is the only player I think could get replaced next year, I also see a situation where all 5 starters come back. The OL has been much better lately.

I would like them to draft an OG early next draft to compete with Saffold.

Edmunds is interesting. He’s a multi year captain but I don’t feel his leadership as a fan. Typically a MLB captain is the vocal leader of the defense. He could lead behind the scenes. 

We will find out exactly what Edmunds means to the Bills very soon. I will be ok with any decision they make on Edmunds. That goes for Ed Oliver as well. I don’t need them to sign either one but I would be ok with either signing.

Dawkins, Morse, Bates, Brown and Doyle are the only OL on our roster who are not UFAs this offseason. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.