Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

27 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I did cover that in the last sentence of Paragraph One of my post you replied to. Right now, with the holes and upgrades we need across the board, we can't afford to use such a premium asset on a guy who would be no higher than Option 3 this year and next year.

As for taking a guy who would groom for 2-3 years, again, that's not someone you take in the 1st Round. You don't want to be using up the majority of your inexpensive Rookie contract simply learning.

And a 1st Round pick expects to play. There have been 2nd Round WR's who have demanded trades because they weren't being utilized enough. If you're grooming a guy behind Diggs & Hopkins, you do that in the mid rounds. And if/when one leaves, you draft someone in the 1st then. Not now.

Basically, if we're drafting a WR in the 1st, we won't be trading for a Hopkins. If we trade for Hopkins, we won't be drafting someone in the 1st. There's just no way.

Not to be that guy, but that isn't a significant development to anyone but fans. Beane isn't going to decide he can do it if he feels it's untenable it up his offer because Hopkins likes us. And if he's been in on trade discussions as much as fans would like to believe - he surely already knew this.

While it's nice Von is always looking to improve the team, at the same time he's just really complicating things.  I doubt Von has been read in on the team's financials, but Beane is fully aware of what is doable and what is not.  Even if it is doable, Beane will probably not do anything if he's anticipating AZ is going to release DHop. What comes out of the draft can also impact what does or does not happen there.

10 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I did cover that in the last sentence of Paragraph One of my post you replied to. Right now, with the holes and upgrades we need across the board, we can't afford to use such a premium asset on a guy who would be no higher than Option 3 this year and next year.

As for taking a guy who would groom for 2-3 years, again, that's not someone you take in the 1st Round at the WR position. Teams barely do that for even a QB these days. You don't want to be using up the majority of your inexpensive Rookie contract simply learning.

And a 1st Round pick expects to play. There have been 2nd Round WR's who have demanded trades because they weren't being utilized enough. If you're grooming a guy behind Diggs & Hopkins, you do that in the mid rounds. And if/when one leaves, you draft someone in the 1st then. Not now.

Basically, if we're drafting a WR in the 1st, we won't be trading for a Hopkins. If we trade for Hopkins, we won't be drafting someone in the 1st. There's just no way.

Not to be that guy, but that isn't a significant development to anyone but fans. Beane isn't going to all of a sudden decide he can do it if he feels it's untenable and up his offer just because Hopkins likes us and he made it public. And if he's been in on trade discussions as much as fans would like to believe - he surely already knew this anyways.

True but it could push Hop to rework his contract w Arizona if we had a trade in place so he can fit under the cap. That O would be awesome.  Id prefer a nasty OL rd1 and WR on day 2

Edited by JerseyBills

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Please make this happen Beane.

Alright, skeptics, this does seem to be a lot more than an enigmatic, obscure Instagram post. Don't know if it will happen, but it's not just smoke, it's an actual smoke signal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

So, we have 8 more days then. This thread will be up to page 500 by next Thursday.

We may have to get in touch with the Guinness Book of World Records which reminds me I have to check the fridge and see if it's properly stocked.

• Like (+1) 1

How does it not happen now?  AZ will pick up a portion of his salary and Beane will kick the can down the road some and convert some of his base to a signing bonus.  (I think that's how the cap works, I really don't know)

The hard part is afterward. The pressure is truly on then.  For everyone.