Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

Just now, BillsFan2313 said:

Arizona is giving us 34, Hopkins and paying most of this years contract for pick 27?

Sorry man, but your feeling is not happening. 

I think they would pay a lot of this years contract in this scenario. Beats releasing him and still eating a good chunk and the drop from 27 to 34 is still pricey draft capital 

1 minute ago, NeverOutNick said:

I think they would pay a lot of this years contract in this scenario. Beats releasing him and still eating a good chunk and the drop from 27 to 34 is still pricey draft capital 

I will say, giving up 27 for Hopkins and moving down to 34 makes a ton of sense. We would literally be getting Hopkins and only dropping down 7 spots. Especially getting a late round pick as well to. Maybe a 5th or 6th rounder also. We would gain a pick, literally lose nothing and get Hopkins. I would love that scenario 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Of course, but how are you going to "rework" his contract?  The only option is to extend it for more years and pay him up front.  For example, he is due $19.5M next year and 14.5M the next - $35M over next two years.  If you pay him that $35M today, you can amortize the that $35M over two year ==> $17.5M cap hit in 2023 and also in 2024.  If you want to extend his contract and pay him another, say, $14M for 2025 and pay all of it upfront ($49M), then you can amortize that whole amount across 3 years ==> $16.3M cap hit per year.

Let's use the second example and recognize that he will be 31 years old this June, so by June 2025 he will be 33.  Let's do that deal for $16.3M/year cap hit ($49M upfront).  Now, he decides to retire after 2023 and now you're stuck for the balance of that cap hit next year.

I don't see a prudent way to rework the contract and not have $15+M cap hit per year.

I don't know all the ends and outs that would need to happen, but just saying that he wont be coming here under the contract terms he currently has.  That is for Beane to figure out as a cap management expert on what can be done to afford bringing him in.  End of the day, if they can't figure out the numbers, he won't be coming here because I think there is very little chance Beane trades for him at his currently salary the next 2 seasons.  

55 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Have a feeling AZ plays ball during the draft and Beane probably told them “hey if our guy isn’t there at 27, we'll move down to 34 for Hopkins and you guys eating a majority of this years contract” 

💥 done

Do it Big Baller!

giphy-2.gif

• Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

Good points, it does beat releasing him for nothing. Is that consesus outcome if he isn't traded?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Arizona is giving us 34, Hopkins and paying most of this years contract for pick 27?

Sorry man, but your feeling is not happening. 

I'd make that move in a heartbeat as a Bills fan. Yet yeah think 'Zona want more.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Good points, it does beat releasing him for nothing. Is that consesus outcome if he isn't traded?

That’s at least the rumor and I think Arizona knows they’re not going anywhere this year so probably a very likely scenario if they can’t find a trade partner that will take on more of the contract than they would have to eat for releasing him

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

I kinda like this. We get an instant starter at WR, can draft Campbell at #34 if he is still available and then go OL with our original Rd 2 pick. That will be quite a haul  

10 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I kinda like this. We get an instant starter at WR, can draft Campbell at #34 if he is still available and then go OL with our original Rd 2 pick. That will be quite a haul  

This may be a a scenario i could get behind, although i wouldn't tie myself to offensive line at 59 still need to see who is available.

4 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Of course, but how are you going to "rework" his contract?  The only option is to extend it for more years and pay him up front.  For example, he is due $19.5M next year and 14.5M the next - $35M over next two years.  If you pay him that $35M today, you can amortize the that $35M over two year ==> $17.5M cap hit in 2023 and also in 2024.  If you want to extend his contract and pay him another, say, $14M for 2025 and pay all of it upfront ($49M), then you can amortize that whole amount across 3 years ==> $16.3M cap hit per year.

Let's use the second example and recognize that he will be 31 years old this June, so by June 2025 he will be 33.  Let's do that deal for $16.3M/year cap hit ($49M upfront).  Now, he decides to retire after 2023 and now you're stuck for the balance of that cap hit next year.

I don't see a prudent way to rework the contract and not have $15+M cap hit per year.

The issue is if we trade for him, ARZ has to rework the contract before we make the move. When we pull the trigger to trade, we must be able to fit him under the cap, even if we have already agreed to a reworked contract, in order to process the trade he must fit into our cap as his contract stands at the time of the trade - even for the split second...

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

The issue is if we trade for him, ARZ has to rework the contract before we make the move. When we pull the trigger to trade, we must be able to fit him under the cap, even if we have already agreed to a reworked contract, in order to process the trade he must fit into our cap as his contract stands at the time of the trade - even for the split second...

Or figure out a way to make the cap space available to trade with his current contract.

29 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Or figure out a way to make the cap space available to trade with his current contract.

It's a lot of movement for a split second...It can be done, but it is tougher now than earlier in this thread lol

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While I do not expect us to both trade for Hopkins and draft a 1st round WR, I think your "why" here is incorrect.  It would be absolutely ideal to trade for Hopkins and also draft a first round WR.  Hopkins is more of a 2 year plan if we trade for him, and Diggs is only 6 months younger.  Those guys are not here for "years to come", in fact, I don't expect Diggs to be here more than 2 to 3 more years between age and contract size, and I would think the same for Hopkins.  Any young WR we took now would be groomed to take over as WR1 in the next 2-3 seasons, which is about the time WR's really start reaching their peak most often anyway.  

However, there is no way we trade for Hopkins and draft a WR in round 1 because we can't afford to invest that much into the position right now.  We have too many other needs to do both.  

If there is any chance we are still considering a Hopkins trade, I have a feeling Beane wants to see how the draft falls first.  If the reports are true that they love Addison, I have no doubt they would prefer to make a trade that landed them him with his rookie price for 5 years than make a big trade for Hopkins costing them money and draft capital for say 2 years.  Not to mention the increased risks with injury as players age.  

If the board falls in a way where Beane misses out on one of the WR's he covets, then I think he might take another look at Hopkins potentially and see if he can get a deal there he is comfortable with.  

I did cover that in the last sentence of Paragraph One of my post you replied to. Right now, with the holes and upgrades we need across the board, we can't afford to use such a premium asset on a guy who would be no higher than Option 3 this year and next year.

As for taking a guy who would groom for 2-3 years, again, that's not someone you take in the 1st Round at the WR position. Teams barely do that for even a QB these days. You don't want to be using up the majority of your inexpensive Rookie contract simply learning.

And a 1st Round pick expects to play. There have been 2nd Round WR's who have demanded trades because they weren't being utilized enough. If you're grooming a guy behind Diggs & Hopkins, you do that in the mid rounds. And if/when one leaves, you draft someone in the 1st then. Not now.

Basically, if we're drafting a WR in the 1st, we won't be trading for a Hopkins. If we trade for Hopkins, we won't be drafting someone in the 1st. There's just no way.

12 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Hey Mr. Timmy Graham......is this enough of a "significant development" for your liking sir?   Hahahahahahaha

By the way, OBJ never actually said he wanted to be a Buffalo Bill to Von.  Von was just being hopeful recruiting him 

Not to be that guy, but that isn't a significant development to anyone but fans. Beane isn't going to all of a sudden decide he can do it if he feels it's untenable and up his offer just because Hopkins likes us and he made it public. And if he's been in on trade discussions as much as fans would like to believe - he surely already knew this anyways.

Edited by BillsFanForever19