Do the Bills have any available alternatives at safety?

Beck Water

Like every other Bills fan and compassionate human in the country, I was busy praying for a positive outcome for Damar Hamlin

Now that he seems on track to have a good life physically and mentally and there's even reason to hope he'll recover completely, I'm back to worrying about the Bills. 

In addition to the team's mental health, it seems to me defense is a big concern.  Not only does Von Miller's absence degrade our pass rush and Tre' White not yet himself, but we now have a big hole at safety.  After Hyde went down, Hamlin had his Learning Experiences but overall, when both Poyer and Hamlin were playing we did OK.  Jaquan Johnson seems to be enthusiastic, but a step down.  Cam Lewis seems to have moved ahead of him on the depth chart, but he's 3" shorter and 20 lbs lighter and that shows up in both run and pass defense.  Marlow has the height and size but since we traded for him, has played only on ST for 3 games in November and has been inactive else.

The Rams improbably won the Superbowl last season by bringing Eric Weddle off the sofa to play DB, after he'd retired in February of 2020.

Do the Bills have any available alternatives they could possibly sign to bolster the roster at safety? 

(I know someone will say "can Hyde return?" but the 6-9 month timeline given at the point of his Sept 25th neck surgery would put him able to return in March, and for the good of his long-term health I don't think he should push that)

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

If they bought in Marlowe as an Insurance Policy then the time has come to put in a claim…

Just remind him on 4th and long to knock down the ball and don’t go for an interception …this should be standard procedure amongst the Bills DB’s each week …

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 2

I forgot about this ... Dean Marlowe recovers Cam Newton fumble (forced by Justin Zimmer) to seal the victory against New England in Wk 8 2020.  Two un-drafted free agents seal the victory breaking 7-game losing streak to Patriots ...

https://youtu.be/d4ylpTS_0Xs

More Dean Marlowe highlights ...

Video from when Buffalo signed Marlowe after he was released by Panthers (tore BOTH hamstrings separately during his 2 years with Panthers - rough time for him) ...

Edited by ChasBB
changed to display as link
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Now that Damar is improving, we can point out that he was often a liability in coverage and there wont be much of a drop off.

Well the drop off will be determined by the replacement.

For his first time playing Hamlin was a decent backup, made plays missed plays, not very good limited physically but so much better than Jaquan Johnson who just physically does not have size nor ability to play saftey at the NFL level. JJ shouldn't be on this roster and the fact he is for 4 years is an indictment on the coaching staff and front office. 

Marlowe will need to be our saving grace he has near average NFLsize and speed, or at least he did before. 

2 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Now that Damar is improving, we can point out that he was often a liability in coverage and there wont be much of a drop off.

Damar has some potential, but he’s still a young player who had some obvious weaknesses.  

One wonders if another Safety could step in and solidify the position a bit better. 

I remember when Taron Johnson lost his starting spot.  Then, was it Cam Lewis?.. replaced him and got injured.. Taron came back and has been a top slot corner in the NFL since.  

Not saying we have that in Marlowe, Johnson, Lewis etc., but coverage-wise, we could get better.   

What we lose is Hamlin’s swag and big hit ability.  

3 hours ago, ChasBB said:

I forgot about this ... Dean Marlowe recovers Cam Newton fumble (forced by Justin Zimmer) to seal the victory against New England in Wk 8 2020.  Two un-drafted free agents seal the victory breaking 7-game losing streak to Patriots ...

https://youtu.be/d4ylpTS_0Xs

More Dean Marlowe highlights ...

Video from when Buffalo signed Marlowe after he was released by Panthers (tore BOTH hamstrings separately during his 2 years with Panthers - rough time for him) ...

How fitting that he's wearing #31, which was DHam's number last year.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.