James Cook -- 5.8 ypc(!) and his longest is only 33 yards.

dave mcbride

He's exciting to watch.   Putrid pass blocker though.  Most rookies are.   Hopefully the offseason helps with that

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Since Singletary isn't on this list, I believe this statistic is a product of Cook avoiding initial contact with his speed. His speed plus light boxes leads to very favorable rushing situations.

Oh, there's more...

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Cook #1 and Hines #2 next year I guess.  No way motor is back unless it's for dirt cheap.

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree with this. The offense needs explosive dynamic players. Cook and Hines are exactly that. I'm not convinced Cook is a 20 touch kind of guy. However, he's beginning to show his value to the team. Feed him little by little and see how he responds. Baby steps because he's obviously young and still learning. Motor is playing well and much more reliable and experienced despite lacking Cook's type of explosiveness. I trust the coaching staff to make solid decisions on how and when to play the combo of Motor, Cook, and Hines. I suspect all 3 will be an integral part of the hopeful Bills Super Bowl appearance and win. 

Hines has amassed -0.5 yards rushing and 53 yards receiving.  He's a nonentity in this Offense after 8 games.  He's not a #2.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Whether Devin returns to the Bills depends as much what happens with the other backs hitting FA as it does on him. If Barkley, Jacobs and Pollard all hit the open market there is a chance Motor is back at a reasonable price. If one or two of those re-signs where they are I suspect very much that he is gone.

EDIT: as for whether Cook can be a bell cow - I'm not sold either. But I am not totally sold Motor is a bell cow either. The question for Cook is can he be a starter for a team that is always going to be pass first and facing light boxes. That means being able to handle about 15 carries per game and 3 or 4 touches in the passing game.

1 hour ago, eball said:

He’s our bell cow next season, because Motor won’t be back (unless he gets zero play on the open market).

What is considered a "bell cow"?  Singletary has about 11 carries a game on average,  This year, he's had zero games with  over 20 carries, 2 over 15 and and 6 games under 10.   

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Specifically, a new dynamic WR to pair with Diggs. Davis is obviously not that guy, but can be a quality 3rd option when we go Spread. A younger Beasley is also on the ‘23 wish list.

He is having his best year.  He already has 800 yards after 15 games.  He is averaging a whopping 17.7 YPC and has 7 TDs. 40 of his 45 catches were for 1st downs or TDs. He has more catches in the last 3 games than Diggs. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What is considered a "bell cow"?  Singletary has about 11 carries a game on average,  This year, he's had zero games with  over 20 carries, 2 over 15 and and 6 games under 10.   

Exactly my point. I don't think the Bills offense necessitates a bell cow. Not sure Motor is a bell cow. He is a starting back in a pass heavy offense. That is the test for Cook. Can he be that?

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Exactly my point. I don't think the Bills offense necessitates a bell cow. Not sure Motor is a bell cow. He is a starting back in a pass heavy offense. That is the test for Cook. Can he be that?

Doesn't have to right now.  If you mean if Singletary is gone next year, they will sign someone else I bet.  

Singletary is a situational back.  He can't be used as a traditional feature back.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think the modern NFL requires a dedicated "bell cow" anymore. 

Look how many teams use committees - Browns, Packers, Chiefs, 49ers - it's very rare to have a Derrick Henry get the bulk of touches during a game. Goes to show how much the RB position has fallen off. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Cook #1 and Hines #2 next year I guess.  No way motor is back unless it's for dirt cheap.

Cook and Hines cant hold Motors jock strap when it comes to vision.  

Cook is a great one cut and go runner, but Motor see's holes like Fred jackson did. (Just comparing the vision) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

WGR this morning trying to come up with ways to say the Bills run game isn’t as good as the statistics say.

Let’s take away the Allen scrambles.

4.62 yards per carry (13th) with Allen’s designed runs in there, okay see they’re average.

We all understand passing is where you want to be, and not checking down constantly like Kurt Warner wants.

But Cook is over 5.0 yards per carry and Singletary is North of 4.5 ypc.

Dorsey has not stuck with the run for an entire game game more than three times this year (Cleveland, Patriots and Bears). 

They don’t need to become the 2000 Ravens to attempt more runs and pile up Time of Possession.

3 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Given.

The question is (given where they are in their careers) is James ever > Dalvin?

To be fair, Hines has never had a chance to prove himself as a RB in Buffalo. Clearly, he was picked up mainly for special teams. The coaches have decided to groom Cook which is a wise thing to do. 

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I don't think the modern NFL requires a dedicated "bell cow" anymore. 

Look how many teams use committees - Browns, Packers, Chiefs, 49ers - it's very rare to have a Derrick Henry get the bulk of touches during a game. Goes to show how much the RB position has fallen off. 

I agree with you.  J Cook is taking over the Lightning role.  And we can now see he has it in him.  We keep Hines (maybe restructure) as backup lightning role to Cook and for special teams.

The Bills will need a Thunder type - reliable 2-3 tough yards and excellent pass protecter.  Seems suitable to be a veteran FA acquisition at a good price point.  Maybe even Singletary although he isn't really the tough 2-3 yard guy.  

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Doesn't have to right now.  If you mean if Singletary is gone next year, they will sign someone else I bet.  

Singletary is a situational back.  He can't be used as a traditional feature back.

I think Cook has to be capable of that at some point to be worth what they invested. Obviously while Motor is here they don't need him to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I like his quickness. However, he looks pretty light in the ass. I don't see him breaking many tackles when he gets hit or wrapped up. I realize that's not his game. I like the role he's playing and his current contribution. I'm skeptical that he's a starting caliber RB and a reliable workhorse type RB. To be honest, Blackshear looked and looks better than Cook. I get the Cook hype because we all want him to be the reliable, dynamic, explosive RB that the Bills have lacked for years. However, we've been here done that with so many RBs. Cook's sample size is way too small to start declaring him the next Barry Sanders. Let's wait and see how he develops. 

In his entire career, I have never seen Cook break a tackle...

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Question is could he be that #1 guy if Devin walks? Because if he can't then I'm not sure change of pace back is sufficienct value for a 2nd round pick... even if they get him going a bit more in the passing game.

If he spends his rookie contract racking up explosive plays and TDs that's good enough for me to warrant the 2nd rounder. Allen hasn't had a teammate capable of creating explosive plays on his own since John Brown fell off a cliff.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

If he spends his rookie contract racking up explosive plays and TDs that's good enough for me to warrant the 2nd rounder. Allen hasn't had a teammate capable of creating explosive plays on his own since John Brown fell off a cliff.

Someway I wish Singletary comes back. Allen loves him and useful in lots of ways. Agree with lack of speed but great lots of other thing's.

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Brother of a current star NFL RB

5 star recruit

Played in the spotlight in SEC and on a national championship team

2nd round pick at a time when RB's rarely get picked before the 2nd round

being an alabama fan, I know him quite well. he's had a slow start but I believe he will be a gem in the running/passing game.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Adding a dynamic RB for the offense for four years is a good thing IMO too.  After a rocky start they are developing him into a valuable asset for years to come.  It will be fun to watch.

The Bills will still need another RB IMO, but that doesn't mean Cook isn't worth it.

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Fair. But it will need to be more than 3 TDs a season which is what he has so far. If he is churning out 500 yards on the ground and 300 in the air he needs to be scoring 8 plus TDs. 

Not criticising. He is a rookie. I was not expecting that this year. But if he isn't going to end up as the Bills starting back then that is the kind of production he needs to justify a 2nd.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, deanjf said:

He doesn't break tackles the way we usually think of it but he does have quite a bit of yards after contact. He runs through a lot of arms before they have a chance to get a good hold on him. If he isn't given space to work with he won't churn out yards with power, but give him a lane with some space and he shoots through it fast enough that his power doesn't matter. Considering the number of light boxes we face, his is the more important skill set in this offense anyways IMO.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

No way Hines is back unless he takes a pay cut.  

Someone other than Hines

I bet we will still see some of those same posters who continue to say, "Bills can't run the ball", or "have no running game". Speaking for myself it's crystal clear and only requires the use of just a small amount of common sense to see that they do have a pretty good ground game when the RBs get more than 5-10 attempts.

So for some reason those that say this nonsense looking at only those games the RBs had gotten a hand full of attempts and because they didn't break one for a TD or didn't get chunk yards in those very limited opportunities the conclusion is "Bills suck at running the ball"

I just don't get it lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'd say James Cook needs to become a 1500 yard per season producer between years 2-4 of his deal for the selection to be a modest success on it's own merit.

That's not to say they won't be able to find a RB1 late in the draft or UDFA or off a scrap heap somewhere and then have Cook instead be a useful change of pace back and come out unscathed by the selection anyway..........but you don't take a RB in round 2 to not be a big time producer.

• Vomit 2

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd say James Cook needs to become a 1500 yard per season producer between years 2-4 of his deal for the selection to be a modest success on it's own merit.

That's not to say they won't be able to find a RB1 late in the draft or UDFA or off a scrap heap somewhere and then have Cook instead be a useful change of pace back and come out unscathed by the selection anyway..........but you don't take a RB in round 2 to not be a big time producer.

I don't know if you're meaning 1500 all purpose yds, or 1500 rushing only? If 1500 yds rushing only, then I would guess the chances of that wouldn't be all that good. Offense with Allen will likely always be pass heavy and may not get the attempts needed for a 1500 yd rushing season.

But I'm assuming you were talking about rushing and receiving probably?

• Agree 1

Cook has definitely been picking up steam as the season goes on. The game seems to be slowing down for him and he's hitting holes decisively and is sneakily elusive. Looking forward to some more routes run out of the backfield as he matures more and more.

I think has shown enough this year that the Bills will have an entirely new RB room next year outside of Cook.

I thought the plan bringing Hines in was to roll next year with Cook and Hines, but now I think it's Cook and FA's, or maybe a later round RB.

Everyone loves singletary in the locker room (and I think he's pretty good, not great), but the FO will be making some difficult cap decisions, and cook flashes.

Best case, I would keep singletary and cook, but that would surprise me at this point.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I don't know if you're meaning 1500 all purpose yds, or 1500 rushing only? If 1500 yds rushing only, then I would guess the chances of that wouldn't be all that good. Offense with Allen will likely always be pass heavy and may not get the attempts needed for a 1500 yd rushing season.

But I'm assuming you were talking about rushing and receiving probably?

Yeah it would be a shock if he ever got the near requisite 300 carries in a season to reach the lofty heights of 1500 yards rushing like his fellow second round pick bro did in 2020.

More like 200-240 carries and 60-80 receptions.......280 touches......for his style of back.

I doubt he will get there but when you use a second rounder it's a full notch higher than a 3rd.......and a 3rd you still expect an RB1 with that pick.

42 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Anyone see a bigger Aaron Jones in Cook?

No he's quite different.    James Cook is A LOT faster than Jones but doesn't have the same center of gravity/balance.    Production-wise though.......there isn't any reason Jones should be more productive than Cook.   Aaron Jones was a nice 5th round pick.   That's ideally where you find your RB's.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Taller?

Yeah, he’s taller.  I don’t see the comp though.  Jones is an animal finishing through contact. He’s a much more physical back to my eye. Maybe with time- cook has been finishing better than I thought he would.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, he’s taller.  I don’t see the comp though.  Jones is an animal finishing through contact. He’s a much more physical back to my eye. Maybe with time- cook has been finishing better than I thought he would.

I don’t know. Cook does seem to be more physical than I thought. He tends to fall forward when tackled.

Mainly though the comparison is in space. Not much wiggle to them they use speed to go by defenders.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t know. Cook does seem to be more physical than I thought. He tends to fall forward when tackled.

Mainly though the comparison is in space. Not much wiggle to them they use speed to go by defenders.

Cook is more physical than I thought too….. but he’s not like Jones in that regard imo. 

Like Badol said, Jones isn’t nearly as fast.  

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Cook is more physical than I thought too….. but he’s not like Jones in that regard imo. 

Like Badol said, Jones isn’t nearly as fast.  

Sure 40 speed. I think Jones game speed is fast. Jones and Kamara ran 4.5s but you can’t really tell on the field

Cook to me looks like the real deal none the less. His suddenness in the open field can’t be taught. He’s going to break a long one soon enough.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Only 5 RBs managed that feat last year so that is not a realistic standard. I thought you didn't like offenses that over-utilized RBs as pass catchers. We would have to completely overhaul our offensive philosophy for him to get that much production. We drafted him to give us an explosive skill set that was missing from our RB room, not to become our primary offensive weapon.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

you don't take a RB in round 2 to not be a big time producer.

It was a low 2nd round pick that Beane only used after trading back several times presumably because he only had players with 3rd round grades left on the board. A RB taken in the 1st round needs to do what you're saying. Low 2nd round you are looking for meaningful contributors.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sure 40 speed. I think Jones game speed is fast. Jones and Kamara ran 4.5s but you can’t really tell on the field

Cook to me looks like the real deal none the less. His suddenness in the open field can’t be taught. He’s going to break a long one soon enough.

I agree, cook looks legit.  The fact that he has breakaway speed makes it even better. That’s all that really matters. 😃 

3 hours ago, deanjf said:

I'm not sure I've aeen hom break a tackle either. I guess that's not his game. He makes people miss. Once he's grabbed its over. I really liked Blackshear. He looked great granted it was preseason. However, he looks solid in his opportunities in Carolina. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.