Bengals RT torn ACL out for the year

Process

On 12/25/2022 at 11:58 PM, Einstein said:

Expected recovery is 7 months?

Dont tell Tre.

7 months plus 4 or 5.  Literally 0% he makes it in 7 with a man that size doing what he needs to do.  

and I’ve seen it take 18 months to get back to shape. In high end athletes it’s all about what stresses will be placed on it and how quickly you can rebuild the surrounding muscle etc.  and of course all of this assumes no setbacks etc. 

On 12/25/2022 at 5:32 PM, Steptide said:

Here's a really dumb question - are acl injuries not painful? How do you pass an acl test or play through a blown acl? 

I can only speak to how it was for me..I am not and never was a pro athlete but, after the initial injury which was very painful it became just a low level dull ach.  For me it was the stability issues it felt like I was walking on clown stilts 

4 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

and I’ve seen it take 18 months to get back to shape. In high end athletes it’s all about what stresses will be placed on it and how quickly you can rebuild the surrounding muscle etc.  and of course all of this assumes no setbacks etc. 

Robert Woods came back in 8 months. WR’s have nearly identical stress on the joint as a CB.

Peterson also was playing and cutting on his ACL knee 8 months after surgery in a historic season.

13 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

Watched the replay of Cincinnati & NE.  #77 Adeniji played very well after Collins was hurt.  Don’t think the Bengals will lose much w Adeniji playing. 

And BTW, Cincinnati dominated that game. A few fluke plays like tipped ball TD on 3rd & 29 and Jamar Chase fumble  gave NE a chance late.   Bengals are going to be a tough match up for the Bills.

I wouldn't say Cincy dominated that game against the Pats when they scored 0 points the 2nd half. 

Here's a really dumb question - are acl injuries not painful? How do you pass an acl test or play through a blown acl? 

I’ve done it twice.   I won’t say they were painless, but there was surprisingly little pain when the tears happened.   There’s soreness and swelling after, especially if cartridge is torn.  OId man trivia, Dr. Marzo did my first surgery in the early 1990s.   Bills physician, surgeon at the time.

Most memorable physical impression … both times my brain believed my knee was “unraveling” because things where going in directions they shouldn’t.   Both times I felt an immediate “snap back” into place.    Think of those holiday toys where you press the bottom of a base piece and the elf, or santa, or reindeer collapses, and snaps back to upright.   That’s my ACL history.

I don’t know the answer to your question but these guys are likely doped up prior to the game and get some in-game “treatments” in the tents. 

Guys carried/limping into the tent, leave 5 min later “testing the knee” doing sprints on the sideline 😬

Im sure there is a cool off period after each game where the “adrenaline” wears off and they start assessing the damage they did that week. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

Robert Woods came back in 8 months. WR’s have nearly identical stress on the joint as a CB.

Peterson also was playing and cutting on his ACL knee 8 months after surgery in a historic season.

Good for them. Those aren’t typical timeframes and references to Tre may be totally different. 

I’ve only been involved in rehab involving this type of thing for 25 so maybe I have no clue what I’m talking about. 

it’s a very patient specific issue involving more than just the joint tendons ligaments and muscle. 

but what do I know

10 hours ago, Einstein said:

Not every “ACL injury” is the same. Woods had a clean tear and no other damage. White also had significant meniscus damage. 

The average NFL player returns from an ACL tear in about 11 months. White wasn’t that far off at all. 

• Agree 1

On 12/27/2022 at 10:46 AM, GolfandBills said:

I don’t think the human knee was built with professional football in mind 

I think athletes and joints are like putting a built big block in your stock unibody car.   I think the muscles can be built far better than the tendons that hold everything together.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.