50 years ago today, the final game at The Rockpile

JÂy RÛßeÒ

1 minute ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I was there twice with my Dad.  Vs. Raiders in 67 and Pats in 70.  Barely remember 67, but I don't think I was ever as wet and cold as during that Pats game.  James Harris replaced Shaw and almost brought us back.  Joe Kapp on the other side.  I was a big Haven Moses fan.

Me too. My Dad bought seasons in '63 I think. 

Edited by nucci

My dad and co-workers shared season tickets for several years and I was lucky to attend several games.

One year the tickets were two rows up right behind the visitors bench.   Players standing on their benches did

not make for good viewing.

As others have mentioned a game highlight was security chasing after balls kicked into the stands

for extra points of FG.  Ralph was cheap and nets were installed.

10 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Shaw looks like a modern QB when he drops.  The Lions QB doing that run backwards for a drop back looks so awkward, especially since it is so deep.  No three step drops here.

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I went to one Bills game there. My first, the '69 season opener versus the Jets, right after they won the Super Bowl. We lived near St. Stanislaus Parish so my sister and I walked up to Humboldt Park, then down Best to the War Memorial. The place looked like the Roman Colosseum.

33-19, iirc. We managed to tie them in the 3rd before they scored 2 unanswered TDs to win. Rookie OJ Simpson’s 1st game. He scored on a 5 yard run.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Shaw looks like a modern QB when he drops.  The Lions QB doing that run backwards for a drop back looks so awkward, especially since it is so deep.  No three step drops here.

"who often play like their field looks"

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

I really had high hopes for Dennis Shaw when the Bills drafted him, but it didn't work out. People began saying he threw a loaf of bread.

My father had season tickets, I went to a lot of games there. As the Bills got worse in the late 1960s my father would give me late season game tickets. There was nowhere to hide from the cold in that place. Saw the Chiefs beat the Bills to go to first AFL NFL Championship (Super Bowl I). One of my favorite memories has nothing to do with a game. There was no parking around the stadium, my father paid two kids to park in “their” driveway. After the game we were greeted by a very angry woman, who had been at church when kids sold her driveway. Watching my father apologize profusely was great.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

You guys are old

You got to have good genetics and pure luck to achieve the rewards of advanced age. Hopefully you and your loved ones will get there. It’s something to celebrate not look down your nose at. Most cultures around the world, treat their seniors with great respect and value their wisdom and life experience.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I actually had one season ticket there, cost me $55 on the 30 yard line. I took the 8a bus from University plaza all the way to the stadium 25 cents.

I was such a big spender in those days....

Sooo.... you actually did own a wallet at one point in your life is what you are saying? 😀

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.