How has the AFC East suddenly become the best division in football?

Big Turk

18 hours ago, Dan said:

The Bills have had a pretty brutal last few weeks - physically and mentally.   During the Lions game, at one point late in the game, the sideline reporter even mentioned how the Bills’ bench looked tired (or deflated or quiet or something along that line).   To me.. even in the Knox mic’d up video they all appeared to be “going through the motions” for a lot if it.   They just seemed wore out (except Ed Oliver).

Having a full week to prepare and getting a few guys back this week is huge.   They just need to find a way to win, without any more injuries.    I feel like if they do that... it’ll be a huge, collective team sigh of relief.  Kinda like the worst is behind them type feeing. They’ll have 10 days to rest, get healthier, practice. ..and be set up for a strong final push!  

I think the Fins and Jets have benefitted a little from an easy schedule this year.  They’re improved teams, but are they battle tested and ready for the final push like the Bills are?  I don’t think so (as long as we get healthy for it).

yep, this is a experienced playoff team  that should be familiar with handling injuries and adversity in a football season.  

The Jets and Dolphins are good football teams, but haven’t been there “or almost there in guess”, and that experience should be the difference heading down the stretch.  

The Bills control their destiny, that is an awesome place to be.  Time to close escrow and get ready for that run! 

Years of very poor AFCE teams, other that Pats, have led to very high draft picks.  Recently these teams have cashed in on some draft picks that have panned out, or have made trades/signings to bring veterans in. The Pats still rely on solid coaching with BB. They’ll never truly go away until he does. 

The Dolphins have elite weapons, Tua has taken a significant step and they have a creative offensive playcaller. 

The Jets have drafted really well. Their collection of young talent is among the best in the NFL. They have used all those early picks wisely. They are a QB away from being a legit contender in the next 2/3 years. 

The Bills are built to be good for a long time, good coach, good GM, great Quarterback.

The Patriots..... they are just super well coached. That roster is a bottom 5 roster in football. I honestly thought a top 5 draft pick was in the offing for them and here they are again above .500. The problem is their ceiling with this roster is 8 or 9 wins. 

Dolphins and Bills are a mix of everything. The Jets are a drafting success. The Patriots are a coaching success. 

I think in the next 3 weeks we will see at least 2 of the AFC East teams fall away from being wild card to slightly above Colts/Raiders/Browns. Like a game or 2 ahead. Not super impressive. I think the biggest thing to note is Dolphins/Pats had the easy part of their schedules:

http://www.powerrankingsguru.com/nfl/strength-of-schedule.php

Strength of schedule so far:

Patriots 21st

Dolphins 12th

Jets 7th

Bills 4th

Strength of schedule remaining games

Patriots 2nd

Dolphins 3rd

Bills 10th

Jets 11th

I can see both the Dolphins and Patriots losing more than winning their remaining schedules while I dont think Mike White is going to hold up for the Jets despite the consistency of their SOS for remaining games.

Edited by What a Tuel

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If Tua continues to play well then Miami will be the Bills primary challenge in the upcoming years. The Jets D will keep them in games but they're back to drafting another qb. Who knows how long Bill sticks around?

I think the same could be said about the Patriots as the Jets but Billy B certainly isn’t going to coach forever. 

The Dolphins are almost the exact same team as last year - people forget Tua was actually good last year.  McDaniel hasn’t suddenly unlocked or figured him out.  He was already trending up.

The difference is Tyreek Hill, Armstead, and a running game.   

I don’t care what hipster Coach says about maximizing guys by putting them in positions to succeed - he has some of the best players in the NFL (Hill, Waddle, Armstead, I like Wilson and Mostert, Howard, their D is more talented but playing worse btw).   

What’s most similar to last year with Miami is they are beating garbage teams.

Edited by Big Blitz

21 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Detroit and Houston might end up being pure garbage as seems like they've been bottom feeders for ages. 

Detroit yes though they are getting better.  They will have a top 5 pick from the Rams plus their own first round pick next year.  

Houston has a playoff win over the Bills a few years ago.  Then their HC/GM made the dumbest moves/trades in the history of the NFL followed by their QB turning out to be a sexual predator.  They will likely have two picks in the top 15 including the first overall.

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2022 at 6:58 AM, What a Tuel said:

I think in the next 3 weeks we will see at least 2 of the AFC East teams fall away from being wild card to slightly above Colts/Raiders/Browns. Like a game or 2 ahead. Not super impressive. I think the biggest thing to note is Dolphins/Pats had the easy part of their schedules:

http://www.powerrankingsguru.com/nfl/strength-of-schedule.php

Strength of schedule so far:

Patriots 21st

Dolphins 12th

Jets 7th

Bills 4th

Strength of schedule remaining games

Patriots 2nd

Dolphins 3rd

Bills 10th

Jets 11th

I can see both the Dolphins and Patriots losing more than winning their remaining schedules while I dont think Mike White is going to hold up for the Jets despite the consistency of their SOS for remaining games.

Great post!

• Agree 1

On 12/1/2022 at 12:58 AM, What a Tuel said:

Mike White … terrible so far today 

On 11/30/2022 at 4:23 AM, Airseven said:

Because the Bills drafted Allen, because the Jets are finally hitting on early draft picks, because the Dolphins went all in to build the best roster in the division around their QB, and because the Pats have Belichick.

Lol…

Think I'd still give the Jets the nod to be the best of the 3 going forward as they do seem to have built the best all around roster, when factoring in all three have big question marks at QB.  Pats have the most cap space, but need to convert that into an actual winable roster.  Can easily sign players that never work out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.