Jump to content

Why has tackling become a struggle?


UKBillFan
 Share

Recommended Posts

As much as Leslie Frasier has been criticised for play calling on defense, I think our biggest issue is YAC - we seem to be missing a disproportionate number of tackles this year. Is it a case of reserves struggling to execute? Players on offense knowing how we tackle so being able to skip round them? Players not being coached probably to wrap up and hold? It feels like we’re putting ourselves under additional pressure due to not being able to stop the YAC, and I cannot recall us being so porous in previous years.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They don't tackle at all in practice. It forms bad habits for when they actually do need to get the guy on the ground. Although every team is in the same position so I don't know if it's a league-wide problem or just our team but I can imagine other fanbases feel the same way about their team too

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if people practice breaking tackles. Maybe they should just play flag or soccer or just get some sidewalk chalk and play hopscotch. Milano did have a bad miss and Poyer shouldve went to put his guy on the ground instead of going for the strip at the goal line. All in all teams don't hit like the mid 90s and prior anymore but I think the Bills do a good job with the wrap and twist.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The notable open field tackles I remember were missed by the two backup safeties (they're backups for a reason) and Milano, who's had a consistently poor missed tackle percentage throughout his career. I'm not too surprised by those.

 

The DT's missing tackles, I couldn't tell ya. They need to do better getting the runner down when they get their hands on him.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

As much as Leslie Frasier has been criticised for play calling on defense, I think our biggest issue is YAC - we seem to be missing a disproportionate number of tackles this year. Is it a case of reserves struggling to execute? Players on offense knowing how we tackle so being able to skip round them? Players not being coached probably to wrap up and hold? It feels like we’re putting ourselves under additional pressure due to not being able to stop the YAC, and I cannot recall us being so porous in previous years.

when will we run out of things to criticize about an 8-3 team gutting out wins with half its starting defense, half its oline and its possession receiver out? 

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TH3 said:

when will we run out of things to criticize about an 8-3 team gutting out wins with half its starting defense, half its oline and its possession receiver out? 


So you’re saying it’s reserve players struggling to execute. Thank you for your input.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that's a strong point for the Bills, after watching the rest of the league. So I think it's more of a league wide issue, due to teams being more injury conscience and nobody wanting to draw a penalty for leading with the head. I rewatched the Lions game last night and was surprised how many TFL and 1 on 1 tackles we made.

 

So I think it's undue criticism on the Bills. Also, if you want to see a tackling clinic, rewatch the games when teams try and throw a screen or a pass in the flat. Our defense blows that up almost everytime. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given the challenges post Vikings game there has likely been zero time available to do some fundamental drills. In his Presser Frazier mentioned they would have time this week to cover some fundamentals.  Might have to because Pats RB Stevenson is a load. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

As much as Leslie Frasier has been criticised for play calling on defense, I think our biggest issue is YAC - we seem to be missing a disproportionate number of tackles this year. Is it a case of reserves struggling to execute? Players on offense knowing how we tackle so being able to skip round them? Players not being coached probably to wrap up and hold? It feels like we’re putting ourselves under additional pressure due to not being able to stop the YAC, and I cannot recall us being so porous in previous years.


sort of wonder if there are advanced stats out there on missed tackles. Not doubting you, but I haven’t gotten the same impression as you (ie, that this is a problem).  
 

I also don’t think YAC always correlates to missed tackles. Sometimes it is due to bad coverage, or being out of coverage position. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:


sort of wonder if there are advanced stats out there on missed tackles. Not doubting you, but I haven’t gotten the same impression as you (ie, that this is a problem).  
 

I also don’t think YAC always correlates to missed tackles. Sometimes it is due to bad coverage, or being out of coverage position. 


When referring to YAC I’m meaning when one of our players is their to stop the run and misses the opportunity to do so, rather than general. Unless you mean you feel, due to bad coverage, they’re not in the right place to do so?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have always been one of the worst tackling teams in the McBeane tenure. It might be the type of linebackers we get or the emphasis we place on scheme and coverage over basics like sound tackling. It's usually hard to find fault with a defense that has been among the top 5 but that is definitely a thing and since the first 2 games this year, it had become a team wide phenomenon.

 

Joe Marino listed the percent missed tackles of every player - he said we should average about 10-12%. Some like Epenesa are over 50% and most of the team is well over that threshold. 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...