Why has tackling become a struggle?

UKBillFan

6 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

As much as Leslie Frasier has been criticised for play calling on defense, I think our biggest issue is YAC - we seem to be missing a disproportionate number of tackles this year. Is it a case of reserves struggling to execute? Players on offense knowing how we tackle so being able to skip round them? Players not being coached probably to wrap up and hold? It feels like we’re putting ourselves under additional pressure due to not being able to stop the YAC, and I cannot recall us being so porous in previous years.

That Lions game was the worst tackling of the year. Everyone including Milano missed tackles.

3 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Lordy Epenesa trying to achieve a high score

Careful,  this is Pennstate10's boy. 

4 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Frazier and Sean are not coaching up young, inexperienced dbs to wrap up and bring fundamentals and physicality to tackling. These guys are trying to strip and grab and teams like Detroit and the Jets ran for big numbers. Good tackling is a mentality and other than Johnson, White and Elam our secondary is not there yet. When Milano or Edmunds are not on the field, we struggle in the run game.

Thank God A.J. Klein is back. I guarantee he will make a big difference filling in....already has. (9 tackles, 1 for loss and dropping Swift on Lions final drive) I think Bernard and Spector have a good future, but we really should have kept Klein from the get go. It wasn't a huge deal money wise.

edit: However I do wish we'd have jumped on Roquain Smith.(sp?)

Edited by nosejob

18 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Thank God A.J. Klein is back. I guarantee he will make a big difference filling in....already has. (9 tackles, 1 for loss and dropping Swift on Lions final drive) I think Bernard and Spector have a good future, but we really should have kept Klein from the get go. It wasn't a huge deal money wise.

edit: However I do wish we'd have jumped on Roquain Smith.(sp?)

Roquain would have been perfect except it would have been too much for Beane and his reluctance to give up draft capital. AJ looks like he will really help if  Milano or Edmunds have to miss time.

4 hours ago, Ta111 said:

This thread reminds me of a preseason game between the Bills and Vikings in the early 70’s. OJ had just put a move on middle linebacker Wally Hilgenberg for a big gain. When Hilgenberg came to the sideline, Vikings coach, Bud Grant layed into Hilgenberg and said they were paying him 250k per year to make that tackle (remember this was the early 70’s). Without missing a beat, Hilgenberg responded “but coach they’re paying OJ 650k to make me miss”.

moral is the other guys get paid too.

Thanks for bringing back that memory.  🙂

28 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Roquain would have been perfect except it would have been too much for Beane and his reluctance to give up draft capital. AJ looks like he will really help if  Milano or Edmunds have to miss time.

Yeah I didn't look up Smith's cost salary wise, but IIRC, it was a 4th round pick? I'd have done that in a heartbeat.

5 hours ago, Ta111 said:

This thread reminds me of a preseason game between the Bills and Vikings in the early 70’s. OJ had just put a move on middle linebacker Wally Hilgenberg for a big gain. When Hilgenberg came to the sideline, Vikings coach, Bud Grant layed into Hilgenberg and said they were paying him 250k per year to make that tackle (remember this was the early 70’s). Without missing a beat, Hilgenberg responded “but coach they’re paying OJ 650k to make me miss”.

moral is the other guys get paid too.

Wow, I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night....although I do remember in the 70's weed was 20 bucks an ounce. I actually became a fan when I was 10 on the day O.J. broke the record.....for rushing by a RB, not homicides.

Edited by nosejob

For a team that is poor in tackling to be at #8 in points allowed can only mean the coaching is actually good.  Hard to spin it any other way.  But I sense it's coming. 

The real reason is our top 5 players are missing.  Seems pretty obvious why the level has dropped recently. 

Edited by nedboy7

1 hour ago, nosejob said:

Yeah I didn't look up Smith's cost salary wise, but IIRC, it was a 4th round pick? I'd have done that in a heartbeat.

The Ravens gave up a second. If they don't resign Smith, they will get a third round comp pick.  So they basically got Smith for a swap of a second for a third.  Bears were not going to give up the third round comp pick, so they could get a fourth round pick from anyone. 

Starters trying to cover for backups who aren't in the right positions?

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I wonder where Cover1 is pulling that from, because while tackling has been bad, things dont look so dire when sorting by Missed Tackle % here:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/defense_advanced.htm

Epenesa is likely due to lack of number of tackle attempts...if he had only 9 attempts but missed 6, it will be 66.7%. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

The worst tackling I’ve seen is from the secondary players which is understandable given the size advantage. 

Cmon people....the reason this defense has basically sucked is because it's not an attacking defense. It's a zone/ prevent/ rush 4, stale ass defense. For the love of God, everyone will pork Dorsey in a NY minute but put up with the same 1990 defensive game plan and praise it. Great coaches change when trends change.

McD I hope has this epiphany sooner than later. He's the head dog and he needs to realize that like now. There is no more scrutinizing coordinators or sub coaches.

That ship has sailed. McD has to take control and be his own man, sink or swim, lose or win. He definitely needs to start by running the defense. We can be feared or we can be predictable.,

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, nosejob said:

It was a 2nd from Ravens. Bears likely would have taken BAL 2nd over BUF 2nd so what would the cost have been from Bills to get it done ? It’s not as easy as they paid X so I would have matched that. He’d still be heading to Ravens. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It was a 2nd from Ravens. Bears likely would have taken BAL 2nd over BUF 2nd so what would the cost have been from Bills to get it done ? It’s not as easy as they paid X so I would have matched that. He’d still be heading to Ravens. 

Whatever, I still would have been asking what would it take?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.