Why has tackling become a struggle?

UKBillFan

On 11/26/2022 at 9:04 AM, bmur66 said:

Dick Vermeil said the difference today is that coach’s don’t have the practice time to spend with players. In his day they would practice hard to get better.

There isn’t an app for that.

I’ve been pounding the table to get guys back in the building earlier. I understand that this game is tough and removing padded/contact practices makes sense.  It I don’t get why these guys can’t be in the building full time May 1 running routes in shorts, hitting the sleds, and watching film. 

If I am the owners I’ll gladly tear out every field in the league and halve the contact/padded practices but require work in the facility. 

• Like (+1) 1

The lack of wrapping up is alarming. I see a lot of our defense lowering their shoulder hoping to flatten ball carriers. I think Phillips had a big hit doing this and now it seems like everyone wants to do the same thing. 

Edited by Frostbite
spelling

On 11/26/2022 at 4:07 AM, UKBillFan said:

As much as Leslie Frasier has been criticised for play calling on defense, I think our biggest issue is YAC - we seem to be missing a disproportionate number of tackles this year. Is it a case of reserves struggling to execute? Players on offense knowing how we tackle so being able to skip round them? Players not being coached probably to wrap up and hold? It feels like we’re putting ourselves under additional pressure due to not being able to stop the YAC, and I cannot recall us being so porous in previous years.

Yeah, too much arm tackling.  There was one game I noticed Jordan Phillips “tackling” with a shoulder bump.  With his size, he sent the ball carriers flying but that’s not an effective approach when he could’ve wrapped them up.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/28/2022 at 10:16 AM, Eastport bills said:

It’s a reasonable argument to point to injuries, tough schedule and being statistically impressive, but we’re talking about the last 4 games and the depth personnel we’ve put out there. Now I understand you’re reluctant to acknowledge our tackling and pass defense has been substandard and my observations are the knee jerk reaction of some overly critical red hot, but I’ m just a fan like you who has a take on my team.

We're talking about the last four games? You didn't say that. You did claim knowledge that our coaches weren't teaching well, which was and is ridiculous. We can't know that unless we're there, and we're not.

Has tackling and pass defense been substandard in the last four games? For a team with 11 starters on the field, maybe yeah. For a team with around 5 backups out there, probably not. Their YPC for those four games is slightly better than NFL average, and they just strangled Nick Chubb. For a team without 3 or at times even 4 of their starting defensive backfield, I'd argue their pass defense has been pretty good. The D kept scoring well in hand against all  but the Vikes.

Overly critical? Yeah, probably, which I think was my overall point.

We all get cranky and knee-jerk at times. I'm no exception. Reasonable to respond to that, isn't it?

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

We're talking about the last four games? You didn't say that. You did claim knowledge that our coaches weren't teaching well, which was and is ridiculous. We can't know that unless we're there, and we're not.

Has tackling and pass defense been substandard in the last four games? For a team with 11 starters on the field, maybe yeah. For a team with around 5 backups out there, probably not. Their YPC for those four games is slightly better than NFL average, and they just strangled Nick Chubb. For a team without 3 or at times even 4 of their starting defensive backfield, I'd argue their pass defense has been pretty good. The D kept scoring well in hand against all  but the Vikes.

Overly critical? Yeah, probably, which I think was my overall point.

We all get cranky and knee-jerk at times. I'm no exception. Reasonable to respond to that, isn't it?

You’re just a rose color glasses type of guy,and that’s fine. Please stop with statistics. Their defense doesn’t pass the eye test. Their tackling hasn’t been good. They were a  Josh pulling a win out of his rear end against the Lions. Going forward if they get some guys back we’ll see. Be objective please. By the way, this observation is shared by the national media as well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.