Micah Hyde leaves the door open to returning this season, per Joe Buscaglia

Logic

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Hyde on One Bills Live saying he is back to running, lifting and working out and feels great.  Doctors not allowing contact yet tho, says he feels ready but the doctors told him before and after surgery that he would and they have to protect him from himself.

He needs to seek a 2nd and 3rd opinion and when he is ready sign AMA. 

On 12/10/2022 at 5:34 PM, Beast said:

Rousseau and Basham are playing better than last season, as well as adding Lawson. We added Jones, Phillips and Settle in the middle. 

IMO, we are much better in the front 4 than we were last season.

Epenesa too

Daquon is a huge addition and upgrade

Settle and Lawson are solid depth especially in the run gm which was our worse quality on d last year

Von was a luxury not a necessity.  His impact will be felt just being in the locker room 

• Like (+1) 2

My first concern is his long term health, but if Elam could catch fire and Hyde returns for the playoffs, that would give us a huge boost. It wouldn't make up for Von, but that would give us a secondary second to none. Maybe in '23 if and when they all return. If fully intact and healthy, our defense would be amazing. 3 all pros in the secondary, Edmunds and Milano at LB, Miller and Rousseau at end, Jones and Oliver at tackle...Wow.

• Like (+1) 1

Ive been very ambivalent about potential Hyde return.  Obviously want him back on the field but also want him healthy long term.  Those things are sorta fighting each other in my head.  I think the place I have settled is that would like him to return behind Damar.  That way he doesnt have to overplay as Damar is doing well, but if Damar gets nicked up we feel GREAT about our back up.  At that point he could take over starter duties again.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Epenesa too

Daquon is a huge addition and upgrade

Settle and Lawson are solid depth especially in the run gm which was our worse quality on d last year

Von was a luxury not a necessity.  His impact will be felt just being in the locker room 

He's come up with a couple huge plays.  Big sack in NE.  Big sack vs NYJ, FF and a clutch batted ball on 4th down to END THE GAME 

• Agree 1

We like hearing this.  Believe me as a guy who started a thread awhile back inquiring about Hyde's return this year before this was a thing I can't help but think about the possibilities.  Btw, that was a fun thread to peruse thanks to some of TSW's resident scholars, intelligentsia and Algonquin kids table members.

The thing is I know he and the Bills have left the door open.

I just have no idea where the door is, how big it is, or what even any of it means.

They don't really speak about any parameters or time frames or critical thresholds with it (unless I missed something and my apologies to all if I have).  They just sort of speak about it in the abstract or in the ether.

No pressure at all, because for crying out loud we are talking about a man's life and health.

...but I still wouldn't argue over having just a few more deets.

GO Bills!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Hamlin has had some hiccups filling in for Hyde but that dude is a baller, he just needed the reps.  

Hamlin played way better than Johnson, Hamlin may not be the best in coverage (although he isn’t tragic in coverage) but he is a really physical hitter and a good tackler. Definitely adds some physicality to the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

I love Hyde and if I thought it was worth risking Hyde’s life to win a Super Bowl I still wouldn’t risk it. Hamlin is playing good enough ball for us to win. If for some reason we are still playing in February and Hyde is medically cleared - then let’s go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

I love Hyde and if I thought it was worth risking Hyde’s life to win a Super Bowl I still wouldn’t risk it. Hamlin is playing good enough ball for us to win. If for some reason we are still playing in February and Hyde is medically cleared - then let’s go.

If he is cleared to play then he is cleared to play! Bring it that secondary is badass with him in tit 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

If he is cleared to play then he is cleared to play! Bring it that secondary is badass with him in tit 

But he's not cleared to play. He says he feels good and wants to play but the doctor(s) have to protect him from himself.

It makes me wonder IF we made it to the conference final in late January, would an extra six weeks allow him to be cleared? I think he's not talking about it because a) there could be not set timeline, just a wait-and-see thing or b) there is a timeline but he doesn't want to talk about it in case the Bills don't get there.

It's a nice dream to hold onto. Let's see where the team and Micah are in several weeks...

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Hamlin played way better than Johnson, Hamlin may not be the best in coverage (although he isn’t tragic in coverage) but he is a really physical hitter and a good tackler. Definitely adds some physicality to the defense. 

He can be subbed in as the 3rd LB in 4-3 base sets 

6 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

But he's not cleared to play. He says he feels good and wants to play but the doctor(s) have to protect him from himself.

It makes me wonder IF we made it to the conference final in late January, would an extra six weeks allow him to be cleared? I think he's not talking about it because a) there could be not set timeline, just a wait-and-see thing or b) there is a timeline but he doesn't want to talk about it in case the Bills don't get there.

It's a nice dream to hold onto. Let's see where the team and Micah are in several weeks...

Agreed - there is so much time between now and then.  I think it still could be on the table. But of course, I know very little.

One thing I do know is that this staff is very cautious with injuries, which I love. They don't put winning ahead of player safety, at least from what I can see as a fan. They gave Tre all kinds of time, and no one would say they rushed him back. They'll be the same w/ Hyde.  If they feel 100% that there is no risk, he'll play.

1 hour ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

Recovery time for the ACDF surgery he had is 6-9 months so as to allow the bone to properly fuse. He is not even at the low end of that spectrum yet as the six month mark would be late March. I just can’t see his or any other doctor even considering giving him the green light before then. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

That's not what The Athletic says this week in its all-22 review of the Jets game. Excerpt: 

"The starting safety made a flash play near the end of the game to force a turnover, which was impressive. So, when you look at the grades, you might wonder why his is among the lowest listed. It’s because there were several examples when Hamlin had a one-on-one tackle opportunity, only to lose the ball carrier and not even slow him down enough for teammates to arrive with help. It usually happens in the run game, and to Hamlin’s credit, he has done a nice job of sniffing out where he needs to be for those opportunities to limit gains. But the execution of the tackle was lacking, allowing the Jets’ Zonovan Knight some of his best runs Sunday. The Bills were pretty good against the run all game, but a few of the Jets’ best runs happened on Hamlin’s watch. The trouble with tackling isn’t isolated, either. Hamlin has shown this is a bit of a weakness in his game since he entered the starting lineup. There isn’t much the Bills can do about it at this point because he is easily their best starting option of the active roster players, but it could hurt them against more explosive running backs."