Micah Hyde leaves the door open to returning this season, per Joe Buscaglia

Logic

Regarding Hyde and the possibility of him coming back this season, it is great that he returned to normal daily activity in the usual time frame to do so. But as to him returning this season: banish the thought. The recovery time for the cervical fusion surgery he had is 6-9 months. This is to allow the bones grafts IN HIS NECK to properly fuse together. I just can’t see any doctor giving clearance to return to playing football before that 6-9 month window. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I’m really starting to think his return this year for playoffs might happen.  Just have a weird feeling about it 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Regarding Hyde and the possibility of him coming back this season, it is great that he returned to normal daily activity in the usual time frame to do so. But as to him returning this season: banish the thought. The recovery time for the cervical fusion surgery he had is 6-9 months. This is to allow the bones grafts IN HIS NECK to properly fuse together. I just can’t see any doctor giving clearance to return to playing football before that 6-9 month window. 

Nobody knows the severity of it.  You could very well be correct 

13 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

I’m really starting to think his return this year for playoffs might happen.  Just have a weird feeling about it 

Would love to see him back, but we know this regime seems to allow players more time to recover than usual. Then again who knows how much they might bend their philosophy for the AFCCG or Super Bowl?

12 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

The severity of his original cervical disc injury doesn’t matter as the surgical procedure to correct it is what it is. ACDF surgery involves the fusion of bones in the cervical spine and the time frame required for proper fusion of those bones is 6-9 months and we are still three months shy of the low end of that range since he had the surgery.

Like i said previously, its a great sign that he was able to resume normal daily activities in the 4-6 week time frame to do so, but resuming a football or any other contact sport activity is an entirely different animal, which is why doctors impose that 6-9 month recovery time to ensure proper fusion to withstand the rigors of football. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The severity of his original cervical disc injury doesn’t matter as the surgical procedure to correct it is what it is. ACDF surgery involves the fusion of bones in the cervical spine and the time frame required for proper fusion of those bones is 6-9 months and we are still three months shy of the low end of that range since he had the surgery.

Like i said previously, its a great sign that he was able to resume normal daily activities in the 4-6 week time frame to do so, but resuming a football or any other contact sport activity is an entirely different animal, which is why doctors impose that 6-9 month recovery time to ensure proper fusion to withstand the rigors of football. 

Ok understood.  So why’s he even out there in any capacity?

31 minutes ago, K-9 said:

And yet no one has closed the door on him returning, including the GM and HC. 

36 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Ok understood.  So why’s he even out there in any capacity?

I’d guess that what he’s doing is probably considered non-threatening activity. It would be interesting to see what specific  type of range of motion movements, if any, he’s doing with his neck. 

12 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

And yet no one has closed the door on him returning, including the GM and HC. 

Ultimately, it’s not up to them. If Hyde returns to football activities before six months it will be unprecedented in sports medicine history. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Ultimately, it’s not up to them. If Hyde returns to football activities before six months it will be unprecedented in sports medicine history. 

Micah Hyde is the Adrian Peterson of neck surgery. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Paywall article but I'll post some highlights

https://buffalonews.com/sports/ryan-ohalloran-could-bills-safety-micah-hyde-return-in-postseason-after-neck-surgery/article_0be8e698-85ef-11ed-8586-0fb296488d85.html

"You know, it’s not up to me, it’s up to the (doctors),” Hyde said. “Obviously I would love to (play), but it’s out of my control. We’ll take these next couple weeks, try to continue to get better every day and hopefully when those two weeks are up, we can make something happen.”

Is Hyde more optimistic about a playoff return than, say, two weeks ago?

"I’ll be more hopeful in two days than I am today,” he said. “As long as I keep progressing and keep rehabbing and have no setbacks, we’ll be good.”

I'm not counting on it, but if we get a first-round bye and a win... who knows where he's at for the conference championship?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/ryan-ohalloran-could-bills-safety-micah-hyde-return-in-postseason-after-neck-surgery/article_0be8e698-85ef-11ed-8586-0fb296488d85.html

"You know, it’s not up to me, it’s up to the (doctors),” Hyde said. “Obviously I would love to (play), but it’s out of my control. We’ll take these next couple weeks, try to continue to get better every day and hopefully when those two weeks are up, we can make something happen.”

"I’ll be more hopeful in two days than I am today,” he said. “As long as I keep progressing and keep rehabbing and have no setbacks, we’ll be good.”

I'm not counting on it, but if we get a first-round bye and a win... who knows where he's at for the conference championship?

I don’t think there’s any chance he’s playing. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'm having a hard time believing it as well, but he's been working out and practicing.  I'm assuming he's fit and ready should he be cleared for contact.  Doubt it happens, but it's fun to hold out hope.

• Thank you (+1) 1