Tre'Davious White - when will he be ready?

Deadstroke

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Him and Eric Wood both were sort of going off about it on the pre-game show. I was surprised how much they had to say.

Poor Sal... He just had to do the "golly gee... which is... thanks guys!" routine and go to commercial. Sal sounded very uncomfortable after that segment, at least to me. 

Yup..  I was listening on my way over to my dad's house and Brown/Wood definitely seemed to have energy indicative of being done with the White absence.  The very specific comment about OBJ being in his ear lends me to believe that they were given the green light to openly discuss him in that manner. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

None of that had anything to do with Tre is the point.  

We certainly could have won all 3 games without Tre, would be a point of agreement between us

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We had chances to win all 3 games, and basically had won the Vikings game, but the offense lost us all 3.  

But I think when you want to boil it down to "one play" and point at "if that one play was different we win", you could probably point at a defensive play as well.

For example, if Jefferson doesn't make that 32 yd reception on 4th and 18 with 2 minutes left in the game, we get the ball back and are 1 first down from a win.  Would Tre White at his previous level of play make a difference there?  etcetera.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yeah but you have nothing to base that on. 

You're just hoping. 

So 7-more weeks of him being out and just practicing fully with no injury designation and you're fine?

Nothing to base what on? Hoping for what? I didn't make a claim so I'm not sure if these were intended to be directed to me...

As for the latter, it's like I said: I'm good with his schedule so long as he's ramped up (presumably a regular season game or two) for the playoffs. I'd be disappointed if he didn't play this year. 

• Dislike 1

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

Speculation is this is mental somehow with Tre and there is becoming a fair amount of smoke to back that up.  Is there another option though, maybe he has not performed well in practice and is not ready?

Well I'm sure our coach will shed light on this when he talks to the media at 2:00 PM. 

47 minutes ago, Beast said:

IMO, it’s time he plays or goes on IR. And that is no bash on White. It’s just time to lace them up because the team needs you and you are physically ready or look forward to next season if he can’t mentally get over the hurdle.

One or the other.

I guess I just don't understand why those are the only two options. Why isn't it an option for White to take a couple of more weeks to get right mentally and completely ready physically to then finish strong with the team for the last few games and the playoffs? Would that really be the end of the world?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

“At some point we’ve got to go”

Puts the holdout squarely on White, not the organization, but does so in an understanding McD way.

Thanks!  It's wonderful to have an actual link and be able to actually listen to what was said instead of a bunch of inferences and interpretations.

I don't hear "holdout" on White, there.  I do hear that there's a level someone (White and his rehab team?) feels he needs to be at, which may be a higher level than the Bills medical and training team feel he should be at.  But it is a player's right under the CBA to get a second opinion and to choose treatment and rehab independent of the team (which the team must then work with), and it doesn't mean it's a mental issue for White.

Edited by Beck Water

11 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Exactly, at some point. Not this week or cut him. 

Oh yeah, I’m not advocating cutting him, that’s just some of the frustration going on with other folks, but what I thought was the issue all along turned out to be correct: Tre is healed from the ACL injury and after the strenuous rehab has gotten his strength back in the knee, but isn’t satisfied with how he’s looked going against NFL receivers in practice. We’re talking about an all pro player, ego is real! He doesn’t want to look bad with millions watching.
In all seriousness, only Tre knows his timeline, but the organization probably needs to start gently nudging him. We understand it’s a 2 year process to get everything back, Tre. We don’t expect all pro caliber this year, but your leadership and knowledge are needed on the field. 

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I guess I just don't understand why those are the only two options. Why isn't it an option for White to take a couple of more weeks to get right mentally and completely ready physically to then finish strong with the team for the last few games and the playoffs? Would that really be the end of the world?

Oooh, you're being reasonable!  Stop That!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Oh yeah, I’m not advocating cutting him, that’s just some of the frustration going on with other folks, but what I thought was the issue all along turned out to be correct: Tre is healed from the ACL injury and after the strenuous rehab has gotten his strength back in the knee, but isn’t satisfied with how he’s looked going against NFL receivers in practice. We’re talking about an all pro player, ego is real! He doesn’t want to look bad with millions watching.
In all seriousness, only Tre knows his timeline, but the organization probably needs to start gently nudging him. We understand it’s a 2 year process to get everything back, Tre. We don’t except all pro caliber this year, but your leadership and knowledge are needed on the field. 

That's a great way of looking at it, unlike many of the abusive views being thrown around. 

There is no reason he cannot play snaps Thursday. We are banged up in the secondary and having him in rotation would critical. We can call up the dude from Indy again.

If it's me we tell Tre he's starting. We play him the first series. We let him see how he feels. We encourage him to play the first quarter. We let it roll from there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

Is he going to be mentally ready in 2 weeks? 

Is he going to be mentally ready in 2 months?

I know Adrian Peterson tore an ACL and MCL, was back in 10 months for the start of the 2012 NFL season and went out and won the NFL MVP that season. 

The team needs Tre White. His teammates are getting physically beat up. Our CB’s were abused by the Browns yesterday.

The Bills are in the business of trying to win games and Tre White is physically able to help them do just that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

I've been getting slammed for 2 weeks now.  I'm feeling more and more proud of my stance as each game passes.  Right now Tre White is $17M in dead cap for this team.  It's preventing us from being a serious contender for OBJ.

I don't think the two have anything to do with each other.

Whites contract is spent money, Bills would never get that back whether cutting him or IRing him. In business that is called sunk cost.

Bills were never serious contenders for OBJ anyways

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm fine with this.  We wouldn't be having this level of frustration if there weren't players in and out of the lineup on a week to week basis with a decimated secondary on this defense, but that shouldn't make us rush Tre White back before he's ready.   After all, we need him right for the playoffs more than anything. 

That said.. After his opt-out flirtation, and now this, I'm quite ok if the Bills moved him for decent pick(s) this off-season.  Hopefully he helps us win a Super Bowl and we can go about rebuilding the next iteration of this secondary around Taron Johnson and Kaiir Elam after the season. 

I doubt we move him, but I also think some tough decisions need to be made after this season.. i.e. what KC went through this past off-season.   

Edited by SCBills

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

Again, with the recent comments and knowing White has been practicing for quite some time, I don’t understand why you believe it would be such a reach that frustration is building with this guy. We have a freaking QB laying it on the line after having his elbow bent in a way it shouldn’t be. Jordan Poyer with a huge Frankenstein brace on his elbow getting back out there.

And then we have Tre White practicing, on the acurve roster and not on the injury report.

where did I say that frustration wasn’t building?  I’ll save you the time.  I didn’t.  I believe that they ARE getting frustrated with him.  That doesn’t mean they should just put him in IR.   He may be able to play and contribute to a potential Super Bowl run.  We shouldn’t rush this situation.  Wait and see.  

Tre’s situation has zero relevance to Josh and Poyers situations.  I highly doubt Josh and Poyer are pissed at him. 

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

Ultimatums usually work out well on grown adult millionaires.  

it’s the equivalent of throwing a baby tantrum.

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

Is he going to be mentally ready in 2 weeks? 

Is he going to be mentally ready in 2 months?

I know Adrian Peterson tore an ACL and MCL, was back in 10 months for the start of the 2012 NFL season and went out and won the NFL MVP that season. 

The team needs Tre White. His teammates are getting physically beat up. Our CB’s were abused by the Browns yesterday.

The Bills are in the business of trying to win games and Tre White is physically able to help them do just that.

But Adrian Peterson came back…. So everyone else should be able to do the same.  Everyone is the same, physically and mentally. 

Your take is extremely juvenile.  Grow up. 

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh I agree, but despite all that happened in each game, it also came down to something as simple as a missed FG in Miami (not to mention a fumbled FG snap at end of half by backup snapper), and missed FG against Jets, and a fumbled snap by Allen.  Each of those games, despite any other issues those games, could have been won if not for those single plays.  

My main point was just that it was offensive issues that cost us those games, not Tre White not playing.

None of that had anything to do with Tre is the point.  

We had chances to win all 3 games, and basically had won the Vikings game, but the offense lost us all 3.  

Justin Jefferson - 10 receptions for 193 yards.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When I was in the USAF stationed in Germany in the 80's, I played USAFE Soccer and competitive Ice Hockey against European countries. 

I initially injured my knee during soccer practice. I went to the base hospital and saw an ER Dr. He told me " Just a strain, you'll be fine".

I re-injured my knee during a hockey tournament in Sweden a few months later. After a few minutes on the ice, I stood up and put pressure on my knee and skated to the bench. 

The following Monday I went to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center. I saw a civilian orthopedic surgeon. He scoped my knee and said, and I quote " I don't know who told you that your knee was fine, but your ACL is torn, as is your MCL and LCL!

I was devastated of course. 20 years old with visions of a professional baseball career now gone.

I was in a full, hinged polio type leg brace for two years. I could only take it off to shower or to sleep.

Fast forward to when my brace was finally taken off. I had a Lenox Hill brace that I would wear it for sports. It took me almost a year to gain the confidence to run or skate. I was petrified of the thought of having a relapse with my knee and going through all the pain and rehab all over again.

So, if in fact Tre is extremely gun-shy right now, I for one have firsthand understanding and compassion for him and why he is feeling this way.

It is a tough mental hurdle to get over. ESPECIALLY in a fast, high contact sport. 

Take your time Tre, football can wait. 

Edited by Returntoglory
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2