Seriously disappointed in this board at how many have turned on Allen

Alphadawg7

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Im not down on Allen.  He's been making some mistakes that lead to losing some games and he has to correct it.  However this is on Dorsey to help correct.  Mistakes happen when you are constantly under pressure to be 90% of the entire offense.  If he is too aggressive then Dorsey needs to call some plays that will take him out of that.  Instead, Dorsey abandoned a working run game for no reason today.

Agree for the most part. However, I am down on Allen for a couple of reasons. (1) this is two and a half games of poor play. That includes 6 INTs in the most important of situations. Frankly losing the game or if you will preventing the Bills from winning. (2) Allen is not a rookie anymore. Hes a seasoned veteran with arguably the best talent in the game. These mistakes are inexcusable, rookie like, and difficult to understand. It's not just one bad game here. It's more like 3 to 4. Pitt, Miami, Jets, and Minn. Almost seems like the Bills and Allen left everything on the table after the KC win. 

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

There is also a HUGE difference between not being perfect and what we got today.

I love Josh. But last week and this week he made INEXCUSABLE plays. 

This isn’t just being “off.” 

If folks wanna say, “Josh wouldn’t be Josh if he wasn’t forcing things,” that’s fine but I don’t agree. We have almost 3 years of tape where he wasn’t tossing balls right into defenders. 

Kirk Cousins threw some brutal picks today. Josh has to be better than the Kirk Cousins of the world. Period.

Well said!

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Process said:

Allen has been bad..he's made some horrible decisions. But he IS this franchise. He is this entire team. He'll rebound like he did last year.

Beane failed him in the off-season by not getting him protection and weapons. And coaches are failing him now with horrible game planning, management and play calling. 

THAT is the problem and what could keep this team from winning the Superbowl.

This is exactly what's going on.  Well said Process. Coaches expect their Superman to be 100% of our offense.  Josh is trying too hard to meet these unrealistic expectations without the OL, RB, OC, 2nd half adjustments to help him. He's pressing and the INT's are a byproduct of this.  Josh also has some blame because he's neglected the checkdowns that we're successful before.  The coaches have to intervene delicately without giving Josh the illusion that they're "neutering" him.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

I assume you mean call a run play with Allen behind center since you said “shotgun or”

You do realize that there would still have to be a direct exchange in that scenario, right? 

But because it was a sneak the pressure to snap and then drive forward has increased.   

He should have been in the gun   

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree for the most part. However, I am down on Allen for a couple of reasons. (1) this is two and a half games of poor play. That includes 6 INTs in the most important of situations. Frankly losing the game or if you will preventing the Bills from winning. (2) Allen is not a rookie anymore. Hes a seasoned veteran with arguably the best talent in the game. These mistakes are inexcusable, rookie like, and difficult to understand. It's not just one bad game here. It's more like 3 to 4. Pitt, Miami, Jets, and Minn. Almost seems like the Bills and Allen left everything on the table after the KC win. 

Well said!

I am really perplexed. I’m currently putting a lot of responsibility on him, but I’m not “down on him”. In my mind “down” is sort of “moving on” or thinking “he doesn’t have it”. So in that sense, I am very much high on Allen.

But to your point.

I don’t get it. We’ve seen him matriculate the ball this season. Get everybody and their mothers involved.

7 players caught the ball against LAR. Including 6 receptions from Moss.

11 players were targeted against TEN. Including Gilliam and Morris. 

But now, we’ve just woken up and suddenly we’re throwing balls right to defenders multiple games in a row. The second half today he targeted Diggs 9 or 10 times and didn’t target anybody else more than once or twice (That’s a quick scan of the play by play. Somebody will have to check that)

• Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

You don’t put the freaking players in the situation with highest likelihood of disaster.  And the snap was that situation.  

Your QB had a bum elbow.  Let’s put him where 6 Vikings who are selling out completely yea let’s let him run into that.  He’s put the ball on the ground enough in his career to know better in that situation. 

Put him in shotgun.  Or run a run play - oh right.  We have zero faith in the run game.  

You can't run the ball in that situation. Too risky. You only had two good options. One was the sneak they ran. The other was shotgun and have Allen roll out to his throwing side with a tight end or wide receiver in the flat. Allen can decide to run if there's sn opening, pass the ball if the pass catcher is wide open, or just throw the ball away. Both plays have risks. Of course, the fumble we saw and there could be a blitzing defensive player that doesn't allow Allen out of the pocket. Either choice should have easily amounted to a victory. Leave it to the Bills to give another game away. Ellie teams just don't blow games like this. This team seems really overrated at this point. Their lines have holes, secondary is decimented with injuries, WR and RB depth is questionable, Allen is hurt, and the coaches are average. Hopefully, this team can get healthier and execute and play better. It's very possible but right now it feels a little morbid.

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am really perplexed. I’m currently putting a lot of responsibility on him, but I’m not “down on him”. In my mind “down” is sort of “moving on” or thinking “he doesn’t have it”. So in that sense, I am very much high on Allen.

But to your point.

I don’t get it. We’ve seen him matriculate the ball this season. Get everybody and their mothers involved.

7 players caught the ball against LAR. Including 6 receptions from Moss.

11 players were targeted against TEN. Including Gilliam and Morris. 

But now, we’ve just woken up and suddenly we’re throwing balls right to defenders multiple games in a row. The second half today he targeted Diggs 9 or 10 times and didn’t target anybody else more than once or twice (That’s a quick scan of the play by play. Somebody will have to check that)

I'm not in the camp that Allen doesn't have it. That's absurd. I'm down on his recent play mostly because of the inexcusable turnovers. I just didn't expect this from Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Cmon Alpha, I love Josh too, but he is playing really poorly at times right now.  He's been pretty reckless with the ball all year.  There is no excuse for the goalline fumble and the INTs these past two weeks. Just brutal mistakes in the red zone no less.  Without Josh we do not stand a chance. However, he lost today's game and was not good last week.    

Good points.  Hey, you can’t lead the league in ints, and think that’s good and Josh has no role in losing.  He didn’t get to leading the league in ints by just todays results, it’s a pattern of poor communication from coaches at critical times , and Josh being unwilling to situationally stay patient.  Early in games with no pressure, where communication errors are less likely , we build leads.  But we keep making mental errors and our inability of our rookie OC to develop a reasonable run scheme and commit to it throughout 4 quarters leads to blowing leads etc.  

It’s 4 -5 years of this., every year this team blows some very winnable game and they can’t come out on top in these heartbreakers. It’s something wrong with the process of communication.and decision making. Josh is PART  of that process; he is a great player but at 5 years these mental breakdowns ( ints, fumbles) are resulting from something in the process.  Mcd needs to get this corrected or he will limit his coaching future.   Allen must improve in late game situations. We are still losing most close games and that’s something most thought of as highly successful  Qbs do become proficient at. He has the raw talent, , can’t excuse all these ints.  Not unfair to be critical of his decision making 5 years in. Dorsey is complicating his development some this year.  It’s the elephant in the room. 

• Agree 2

Allen is a good player who is making careless turnovers against good teams where the margin for error is slim. I love Allen, never will question his heart. What I do question is his recent game decision making and attribute at least some of it to the coaching which in turn is pushing him into Superman mode. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’ve never seen a bigger group of ungrateful cry babies than a bunch of people around these parts the last few weeks.  

I agree 100%

I'm blown away by the soft fans on this board.  It wasn't always the case.  There seem to be a lot of newbies that have no idea how good we have it with our current team and coaches.

There were a handful that said they were done with the team after today's loss.

I really hope they stay true to their words and don't come back.  No reason to have those kinda fans here anyway.  Just like NFL expansion... they just water down the talent level on the field. 

Let's go Buffalo!

Oh... and I still love you, Josh Allen!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hey, he deserves criticism. His turnovers are killing the team. He is a great player and I don't want a different QB for the next decade plus, but he has to be better. I'm not asking him to be anything inhuman. Throwing two INT's per game lately is what BAD QB's do, not good QB's. Certainly not elite QB's. Turnovers are the #1 most impactful thing in football. He is flat out hurting the team with his bad INT's. We win that game if he doesn't throw those INT's. Same with last week.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When Mahomes went through his bad stretch last year, he was misreading defenses and missing open players… but he was never throwing 2+ INTs per game, much less directly to defenders.

I thought Allen came out focused, aside from that first tipped pass where he missed the defender, but after that he reverted back to the Allen of the past two weeks, against an underwhelming Vikings defense.

If these two teams had met earlier in the season, before halftime of the Packers game, the Vikes would’ve been eviscerated, the Bills were riding high on confidence and in a completely different head space. I wouldn’t be surprised if the current rendition of these Bills struggles against the Browns and Lions. 

• Agree 1

Allen’s in a funk. It happens to every QB.

I think/hope most can see that while Allen played a large part in losing us this game, we wouldn't have even been remotely in this game without him. Anyone thinking Keenum would have won us that game is an idiot.

8 games left. Josh get your head right and end the funk, please.

18 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Allen’s in a funk. It happens to every QB.

I think/hope most can see that while Allen played a large part in losing us this game, we wouldn't have even been remotely in this game without him. Anyone thinking Keenum would have won us that game is an idiot.

8 games left. Josh get your head right and end the funk, please.

Yes he is in a funk, but no, it doesn't happen to every QB this way. He threw two INT's three weeks in a row. That doesn't often happen to the best QB's in the game. It happens to some of the bad ones. He is playing badly and he needs to get it turned around. This is almost the worst I have ever seen him.

If it was just one game, sure. But it is three games in a row now. He has reverted to hero ball Josh Allen. And while that is exciting at times, it is also dangerous.

I'm a big Allen supporter and a big McDermott supporter and I always will be, but Allen is costing the team wins. Without his turnovers, the Bills would be 3-0 the past three weeks, not 1-2. Heck, just take half of them away and we would be 3-0. This team has other issues for sure, but issue #1 is Allen being careless with the football.

Edited by MJS
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And correction, he’s struggled in second half the last 3 games, he’s been very good still in the first half in all 3 games with at least 2 TDs in each

I mostly agree. But he did have one of the worst INT's I've ever seen on our first drive of the game against the Jets that likely cost us at least 3 points. His INT's in these last 3 games with the exception of the 4th down INT today (had to throw it) have been mind boggling. I have faith he will work out of it and at the same time I am kind of convinced Allen will always have these problems. 

I've been saying for a while now he will rip our heart out many times but he'll also be the reason for joy many more. I don't expect his style of play to change. But he certainly won't always make the kind of mistakes he is now at the rate that he is.

Josh was the MVP leader until the 2nd half of GB. So we’re talking 2.5 games. Up until that moment he was using the RB to dump it off quickly if the game situation called for it. 

He’s not taking those free yards like he was. When he’s taking those free yards he’s at his best. We saw it perfectly on the final drive. He had the free yards open but forced it when he didn’t have to.

Mahomes kind of went through this where teams would just sit back and make him dunk and dunk down the field. He struggled with that idea. But he got out of it. We’ve got to hope Allen can get out of this. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Josh was the MVP leader until the 2nd half of GB. So we’re talking 2.5 games. Up until that moment he was using the RB to dump it off quickly if the game situation called for it. 

He’s not taking those free yards like he was. When he’s taking those free yards he’s at his best.

So what changed with Allen? Better not be that he is bored .

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Well said!

Im not going to bash anyone down on Allen but Im not sharing that just yet.  IMO all QBs have some down games.  A lot is on his plate. Different offense even if it using some concepts from Daboll, o line is not that great, they dont utilize the run game even when it is working, skill positions are pretty lacking other than Diggs.  Some of the skill positions are streaky good but inconsistant.

For those reasons, even though a big part of the blame does go on Allens plate, I can not totally blame him.  His coach should be helping him with these aggressive bad decisions but it seems to me that his coach is fostering them.  Allen needs to learn that there is a time to be aggressive and a time to take whats given.  I blame that on coaching.

Honestly this offensive coaching staff just seems to be bad to me.  You cant tell me for instance that we constantly have the worst backs in the league and cant run the football.  We got what 6 RBs and none of them can run?  I dont buy that.  Cook is rarely if ever utilized.  Dude has talent and speed.  I dont buy that he cant figure the game out just because he is a rookie.  Hines is not a rookie and two weeks in he should have some semblence of the offense.  Every trade around the league has made plays except Hines I think.  That to me says they havent the fogiest clue on how to use a running back.  Then we got Knox who made great plays last year.  He's made what, like 3 plays in 8 games or something stupid small like that?  We cant even run a screen play or a quick slant.  To me this is all Dorsey.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.