Will Kevin McCarthy Be The Speaker Of The House? Or Mitch Senate Majority Leader?

Tiberius

9 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

What is ridiculous about Conway’s statement of an obvious fact? McCarthy is driving a hard bargain? Right now, he’s basically saying: “Elect me Speaker today with no risk. Any one of you can bring a motion for a new Speaker vote at any time for any reason, and I agree to bring that motion to the floor.” 
Italian governments have more staying power. Liz Truss had more staying power. 

Breaking: just lost the TENTH vote. It has now descended into total farce. Say what you will about Pelosi (believe me, there’s a lot to say), but she was never humiliated like this by her own party. Unanimity held. 

With everything going on around the Buffalo Bills right now I have zero patience for your pathetic little petty political nonsense.

Have a great day. 

39 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

With everything going on around the Buffalo Bills right now I have zero patience for your pathetic little petty political nonsense.

Well, you had enough patience to read it and to comment.

EDIT: Your 6th comment on PPP today! So much for the "zero patience for pathetic petty political nonsense." Good news: Just 4 more comments to go to catch up with the number of Kevin McCarthy floor votes! I'll take the over.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Meanwhile:

LOOK AT ALL THESE JOURNALISTS (AND OTHER NERDS) CRACKING JOKES ABOUT OUR CHERISHED DEMOCRACY:

“Normal people with actual lives could not care less. They are smart enough to understand that choosing a party leader in Congress is part of our cherished democratic system of government.

Politics nerds, meanwhile, can’t stop talking about it and trying to impress each other with their witty quips and comparisons to sports and pop culture. This is their Super Bowl

https://freebeacon.com/media/kevin-mccarthy-nerd-jokes/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Meanwhile:

LOOK AT ALL THESE JOURNALISTS (AND OTHER NERDS) CRACKING JOKES ABOUT OUR CHERISHED DEMOCRACY:

“Normal people with actual lives could not care less. They are smart enough to understand that choosing a party leader in Congress is part of our cherished democratic system of government.

Politics nerds, meanwhile, can’t stop talking about it and trying to impress each other with their witty quips and comparisons to sports and pop culture. This is their Super Bowl

https://freebeacon.com/media/kevin-mccarthy-nerd-jokes/

I dunno. Some of these are pretty funny. Gotta love that the so-called "conservative website" sees fit to publish the jokes under the guise of rolling their eyes at the jokesters who wrote them. Seems to me he might have gotten a laugh or two himself--

2) "Can't wait to see this go to penalty kicks tomorrow on the House floor."

3) "Well GOP crazies actually did stop the transfer of power – to themselves."

7) "It's outrageous that Antifa has delayed Kevin McCarthy's ascension to Speaker."

9) "They should start the next Speaker vote with a runner on second base."

11) "Straightforward from here – McCarthy needs to call Brad Raffensperger and ask him to find nine votes." (1:26 p.m.)

• Haha (+1) 5

51 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Have a great day. 

lol. You are a partisan hack for sure.  And all of a sudden you have no patience. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Ron DeSantis. 

Looking forward to your next attempt at a "Gotcha!" post. 

I don't think you mean that- you really believe that allowing me to live my life and allow my children to go to school in person was bad? Or is it something else?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I dunno. Some of these are pretty funny. Gotta love that the so-called "conservative website" sees fit to publish the jokes under the guise of rolling their eyes at the jokesters who wrote them. Seems to me he might have gotten a laugh or two himself--

2) "Can't wait to see this go to penalty kicks tomorrow on the House floor."

3) "Well GOP crazies actually did stop the transfer of power – to themselves."

7) "It's outrageous that Antifa has delayed Kevin McCarthy's ascension to Speaker."

9) "They should start the next Speaker vote with a runner on second base."

11) "Straightforward from here – McCarthy needs to call Brad Raffensperger and ask him to find nine votes." (1:26 p.m.)

I saw one that was Republicans finally found a way to re-do an election and they still can’t win. Cracked me up.

• Haha (+1) 3

7 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

The Wall Street Journal editorial page called the objections of Mr. McCarthy’s detractors an empty, raging gesture.

“The problem any G.O.P. leader faces today is that too many Republicans don’t really want to hold and keep political power,” a Journal editorial said on Wednesday. In the minority, it added, “you can rage against ‘the swamp’ without having to do anything to change it. This is the fundamental and sorry truth behind the speaker spectacle and the performative G.O.P. politics of recent years.”

These radical obstructionists are more interested in being social media stars than in governing. They are not conservatives because they believe in conservative policies or principles. They are politicians because they enjoy the media spotlight. If they can make chaos, they can get media attention.

They would rather be the minority where they can throw stones with no responsibility to actually govern. To govern requires compromise and they are unwilling to do that on even this simple vote for speaker. This situation is exactly why Boehner and Ryan resigned. At this point, McCarthy has given them so much power, I don’t know why anyone would want the job. 

The left is so used to Pelosi strong armed monolithic voting that they are very keen to discern these dangerous threats to democracy when representatives dare to vote in the best interests of their constituents.

Edited by BillsFanNC
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

A meme vs. english language words strung together that reflect her actual thoughts are apples and oranges as you know.  

Anyway, Gosar was censured for the meme, so with that low bar I'm to assume that you're on board with censure for Cori Bush then?

https://news.yahoo.com/house-censures-paul-gosar-over-215237370.html

So @nedboy7  yes? no?

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

lol. You are a partisan hack for sure.  And all of a sudden you have no patience. 

Because I chose to watch the Bills press conference? I see. 

If you actually read my posts you’ll see that I regularly criticize BOTH parties….unlike others on here. Politics isn’t a team sport.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

As an commentator with no dog in the race, it has become obvious that politics in the USA has become a fulfledged 4 party system with no ability to bridge. Reading daily news is like the 12 parties in Israel, 14 parties in Italy and France. 

Is it not time for the Donkeys and Elephants to finally give birth and let their offspring fend for themselves. 

It is not that long sessions have not occurred before, but it is obvious the tail is wagging the Donkey and Elephant. 

The proper thing to happen here is for McCarthy to stop giving in and say no to the tail and let the blood run. 

He needs to open up the fact that these are the Jan 6th mob and he is defending the country from tyranny. Cut off the tail. And while they are at it the dems need to do the same. IMHO. 

• Like (+1) 1

Amidst the insanity, the GOP defectors have identified a very real problem with the concentration of power in Congress.

The last 30 years have seen an extreme consolidation of power inside the House by members of leadership on both sides of the aisle, a trend which began in earnest when Republican speaker Newt Gingrich tossed aside committee norms to elevate loyalists and hardliners in the mid-1990s.

Majority and minority leaders now enjoy exorbitant control over rulemaking and the legislative and appropriative processes. Non-leadership members of both parties, meanwhile, have become historically disempowered, warm bodies expected to show up and vote the party line. Bills rarely come through committee, and as a result, see little input from all but the most senior members. This concentration at the top was something outgoing Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who has often been referred to as the most powerful House Speaker in modern history, used to her full advantage.

Part of what the arch-right House Freedom Caucus and its 20-odd McCarthy opponents say they want is a reversal of this trend. The group is pushing for a decentralization of the “awesome power” of the speaker, as Pelosi once put it, and an equivalent empowerment of factions within the chamber. As Oklahoma congressman-elect and McCarthy opponent Josh Brecheen said, he wants to end “consolidation of power in the hands of the few at the expense of the many constituents of the 435 members of Congress.”

But the reforms they’re pushing that could have a positive impact on overall governance include placing more members unaffiliated with the speaker onto the House Republican Steering Committee, which makes critical decisions on committee assignments, and empowering the entire conference to pick who sits on the powerful Rules Committee, rather than leaving it up to the speaker. These changes would meaningfully shift how Congress operates. They would be major wins for rank-and-file members.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/01/kevin-mccarthy-speaker-vote-defectors-house-freedom-caucus.html

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Amidst the insanity, the GOP defectors have identified a very real problem with the concentration of power in Congress.

The last 30 years have seen an extreme consolidation of power inside the House by members of leadership on both sides of the aisle, a trend which began in earnest when Republican speaker Newt Gingrich tossed aside committee norms to elevate loyalists and hardliners in the mid-1990s.

Majority and minority leaders now enjoy exorbitant control over rulemaking and the legislative and appropriative processes. Non-leadership members of both parties, meanwhile, have become historically disempowered, warm bodies expected to show up and vote the party line. Bills rarely come through committee, and as a result, see little input from all but the most senior members. This concentration at the top was something outgoing Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who has often been referred to as the most powerful House Speaker in modern history, used to her full advantage.

Part of what the arch-right House Freedom Caucus and its 20-odd McCarthy opponents say they want is a reversal of this trend. The group is pushing for a decentralization of the “awesome power” of the speaker, as Pelosi once put it, and an equivalent empowerment of factions within the chamber. As Oklahoma congressman-elect and McCarthy opponent Josh Brecheen said, he wants to end “consolidation of power in the hands of the few at the expense of the many constituents of the 435 members of Congress.”

But the reforms they’re pushing that could have a positive impact on overall governance include placing more members unaffiliated with the speaker onto the House Republican Steering Committee, which makes critical decisions on committee assignments, and empowering the entire conference to pick who sits on the powerful Rules Committee, rather than leaving it up to the speaker. These changes would meaningfully shift how Congress operates. They would be major wins for rank-and-file members.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/01/kevin-mccarthy-speaker-vote-defectors-house-freedom-caucus.html

Alright, I'm really interested to know what the Pre-Gingrich rules were.

Thanks Newtster! 🙄

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Yes, there is a serious issue here, buried underneath the clownish behavior of the anti-McCarthy Repubs.

In the House, it's the Hastert Rule, named after Republican Speaker Denny Hastert: the Speaker will not bring a bill to a floor vote unless it is supported by a majority of his caucus (the Republican members). This effectively destroys ANY bipartisan legislation from moving through the House. Under the current composition of the House, you could have 200 Republicans and 200 Democrats support a bill -- 90% of the House -- support a bill and it would never see the light of day because 22 Republicans oppose it. This is crazy, and it needs to change. It's not some kind of time-honored rule in place since 1800; it was created in 2006 (although I see some people say Newt Gingrich created it in practice in the 1990s). 

In the Senate, it's the filibuster rule. I'm a bit more ambivalent about that one, but we need to have an honest debate there too. What we're doing now in both houses isn't working so well.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yes, there is a serious issue here, buried underneath the clownish behavior of the anti-McCarthy Repubs.

In the House, it's the Hastert Rule, named after Republican Speaker Denny Hastert: the Speaker will not bring a bill to a floor vote unless it is supported by a majority of his caucus (the Republican members). This effectively destroys ANY bipartisan legislation from moving through the House. Under the current composition of the House, you could have 200 Republicans and 200 Democrats support a bill -- 90% of the House -- support a bill and it would never see the light of day because 22 Republicans oppose it. This is crazy, and it needs to change. It's not some kind of time-honored rule in place since 1800; it was created in 2006 (although I see some people say Newt Gingrich created it in practice in the 1990s). 

In the Senate, it's the filibuster rule. I'm a bit more ambivalent about that one, but we need to have an honest debate there too. What we're doing now in both houses isn't working so well.

Aside from the rule being bad, Hastert was a sexual predator of minors. So if they want to keep it, they should at least change the name…

Two more Republican holdouts, Texas’s Michael Cloud and Georgia’s Andrew S. Clyde, cast ballots for California Republican Kevin McCarthy.

Their colleagues exploded in applause when they cast their votes. So far, four holdouts flipped to McCarthy, a sign that ongoing negotiations are working.

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Two more Republican holdouts, Texas’s Michael Cloud and Georgia’s Andrew S. Clyde, cast ballots for California Republican Kevin McCarthy.

Their colleagues exploded in applause when they cast their votes. So far, four holdouts flipped to McCarthy, a sign that ongoing negotiations are working.

Donalds did too, however, he has still lost unless the Dems start crossing.

the fact this has the left, the established right both attacking it. is telling

And still cannot fathom how term limits, actual appropriate bills vs omni bills, and a way to remove the speaker is being attacked. when its been openly popular on both sides of the isle for years now.

6 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

the fact this has the left, the established right both attacking it. is telling

And still cannot fathom how term limits, actual appropriate bills vs omni bills, and a way to remove the speaker is being attacked. when its been openly popular on both sides of the isle for years now.

Congressional term limits are an absolutely terrible idea. 

unless you think the biggest problem with Congress is that lobbyists don’t have enough power and there’s too little corruption 

Edited by ChiGoose

11 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

LMAO.  your in the minority on that.  but probably have a lot of support in the groups that fund these people.

https://www.termlimits.com/library/National_Poll_2021-OF.pdf

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/should-there-be-term-limits-in-congress/

I know I’m in the minority on Congress term limits, the majority is just wrong. 

Another “feel good” policy that fails basic root cause analysis and ignores negative externalities in favor of a simplistic and flawed narrative. 

It wouldn’t change much other than incentivizing legislators to spend more time setting up their post-Congress private sector windfalls through selling out the American people. An even bigger revolving door of corruption than we have today. 

If we want to stop electing #######s, then we should change the way we do elections to disincentive electing #######s. Anything else is a distraction or worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

"Another “feel good” policy that fails basic root cause analysis and ignores negative externalities in favor of a simplistic and flawed narrative." 

LMAO. that covers every effing bill passed lately.

or our false paradigm that is the two-party system.  

Edited by Chris farley

1 minute ago, Chris farley said:

"Another “feel good” policy that fails basic root cause analysis and ignores negative externalities in favor of a simplistic and flawed narrative." 

LMAO. that covers every effing bill passed lately.

or our false paradigm that is the two-party system.  

I’d love to end the two party system but you don’t do it with term limits.

You do it by ending FPTP plurality elections 

11 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Drain the cult - lolz

Wait is the blackmail employing their family members? Like vote for me or I’ll hire your nephew.

The House was much better run by George Santos. He probably just doesn’t want to run because he won so many times already.

Edited by Backintheday544
  • Haha (+1) 2