Week 9: Bills at Jets - Sunday Nov. 6th 1pm

YoloinOhio

The Bills could realistically be without Tremaine Edmunds, Matt Milano, and Jordan Poyer on defense this week. Von Miller also missed practice today with an ankle injury.

Luckily, the Jets offense is not at all imposing, and there's a decent chance the Bills defense can handle them even missing the above players.

Still, the clean injury report didn't last long for Buffalo.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Something many are forgetting...

In the last game of the year last year, a 27-10 win over these same Jets, Zach Wilson looked dreadful.  The Jets had 59 total yards of offense for the game and 40 of it came on a single pass play(to Crowder if I am not mistaken).  The Bills also played their backups for at least a quarter, so he did nothing against them either...

I honestly don't see the Jets doing much offensively this game, this is really bad matchup for a QB like Wilson especially with the Bills being so disciplined and always in the right spots defensively.

The Jets have really upgraded on defense this off season.    32 in the league 2021, 11th in the league so far this season.    Even better if you look at parameters like YPP and Y/A.  - very high there, one of the best Ds we've faced.

As far as the Bills D being really disciplined and always in the right spot defensively, we may be heading into this matchup without Poyer or either starting LB.  Edmunds may play, but he doesn't seem to be a guy who is great at playing through injuries.  And something was going on last week that allowed us to be gashed big in the run game.

32 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Could have happened in the game, and he's 1 of the few players that doesn't need to practice but could still play on Sunday.

My guess:

1. Milano, Poyer, Brown will be ruled out tomorrow.  

2. Von and Tremaine questionable, but both play

3. Tre: I think we still sit him 1 more week, as he ramps up practice/football conditioning

Seem like fairly sound guesses to me, although it wouldn't shock me if McD says they're "game time" just to mess with Saleh

13 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You are way over thinking this.  There is nothing much to learn returning punts.  Catch ball and follow the blocking scheme.  Its not hard for a RB to learn a few plays and contribute those few plays on a short week.  I dont expect much but I do expect him to be active and have a little involvement.

Well All Righty Then!  I am put straight!  We'll see Dorsey designing 8-10 plays that feature Hines on offense, just like SF did for CMC, and we'll see him taking 10-12 snaps on offense, which is about what James Cook has been seeing and about 2/3 of what Shakir took last couple games.

Wait, that's not what you're arguing? 

How about some context?  I was responding to a guy who said "I would bet there is) there isn't really any reason that Dorsey can't have 8-10 plays scripted up with Hines in mind. I expect him to be active this week as the prime PR and see 10-12 snaps...especially if we happen to get up big. He's a pro. "

Context matters.  I've said elsewhere that I thought we'd see Hines as a PR first, and it could be this week depending upon how sincere Beane was in saying Shakir had been doing a fine job there.  It's not alleged to be challenging weather in NJ at this point, sunny and mild with light winds.

Edited by Beck Water

14 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You are way over thinking this.  There is nothing much to learn returning punts.  Catch ball and follow the blocking scheme.  Its not hard for a RB to learn a few plays and contribute those few plays on a short week.  I dont expect much but I do expect him to be active and have a little involvement.

Beane doesn't think so...specifically mentioned the swirling winds as it gets later in the season at Highmark could cause problems for a rookie like Shakir since he won't be used to it.

Edited by Big Turk

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Well All Righty Then!  I am put straight!  We'll see Dorsey designing 8-10 plays that feature Hines on offense, just like SF did for CMC, and we'll see him taking 10-12 snaps on offense, which is about what James Cook has been seeing and about 2/3 of what Shakir took last couple games.

Wait, that's not what you're arguing? 

How about some context?  I was responding to a guy who said "I would bet there is) there isn't really any reason that Dorsey can't have 8-10 plays scripted up with Hines in mind. I expect him to be active this week as the prime PR and see 10-12 snaps...especially if we happen to get up big. He's a pro. "

Context matters.  I've said elsewhere that I thought we'd see Hines as a PR first, and it could be this week depending upon how sincere Beane was in saying Shakir had been doing a fine job there.

Oh jesus calm down

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Beane doesn't think so...specifically mentioned the swirling winds as it gets later in the season at Highmark could cause problems for a rookie like Shakir since he won't be used to it.

He has experience in punt returning though.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

It's a fair point that it doesn't take a lot to get up to speed as a punt returner.  Guess will find out how sincere McBeane are when saying Shakir has been "doing a fine job" at PR.

I think McBeane are sincere with respect to Shakir, regardless of whether they hand the PR job to Hines.  I think with Shakir being a rookie they just want him to be able to devote his full attention to his role as our primary WR backup. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Oh jesus calm down

He has experience in punt returning though.

He does, but he mentioned it as an additional benefit for having Hines ability to return punts on top of what he can do on the field on offense for us.

20 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Sorry, but 200+ yds rushing by a team that was #1 in rush defense going into the game has surely a bunch of sloppy mistakes going on.

Fair point. Though I was thinking more about dropping interceptions (OK, we've done that too) or getting blown out. We haven't conceded more than 21 points all season. Offensively, we've scored less than 25 in three out of seven, and in all three we left points on the field.

12 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I think McBeane are sincere with respect to Shakir, regardless of whether they hand the PR job to Hines.  I think with Shakir being a rookie they just want him to be able to devote his full attention to his role as our primary WR backup. 

To be truthful, I don't think his punt receiving record so far fills them with confidence, but they're not going to throw Shakir under the bus publicly.   In poor weather, Shakir waved off 3 punts and FC 1 vs. Pittsburgh.  Obviously a wave-off is better than a muff, but one of them bounced to pin us deep, and previously, McD has made a point about wanting a punt reception to end with the ball in the receiver's hands.  Then he kind of muffed one vs. KC and we wound up on our own 4 yd line.  He did well vs. GB in very nice weather with still winds.

I think that Beane and McDermott had a legit concern as to whether Shakir could handle receiving punts in bad weather and swirling winds.  And, as I noted in the Hines trade thread, with Crowder's injury added to Hyde out for the season, they were pretty much down to "Shakir or, Who?" at PR. 

It would not shock me if having an experienced, steady option at PR was a primary motivation in trading for Hines.

I think the "devote your full attention to being a WR" is a face-saving out for Shakir.  If Hines does start receiving punts, I would expect Shakir to still take PR snaps in practice as a backup.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think that Beane and McDermott had a legit concern as to whether Shakir could handle receiving punts in bad weather and swirling winds.  And, as I noted in the Hines trade thread, with Crowder's injury added to Hyde out for the season, they were pretty much down to "Shakir or, Who?" at PR. 

It would not shock me if having an experienced, steady option at PR was a primary motivation in trading for Hines.

I think the "devote your full attention to being a WR" is a face-saving out for Shakir.

Just my opinion.

I'm sure Himes as a PR was definitely included in the decision.  What exactly their faith in Shakir I won't try to estimate.

I do know that with Hyde out and a lack of faith in McKenzie as a punt returner left Shakir as the only option.

An injury to him would put them in a bad spot.

Even when Hines takes over the PR duties, I'm sure Shakir will still be taking punts in practice.  He just won't need to worry about

gameday duties.

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

I think the issue is we are dominating but we're making so many sloppy mistakes on offense, which is making games closer than they should be. Defense, to date, less so.

Yes there's been some sloppy play, but the offense is scoring almost 50% more points per drive(2.8) than the league average(1.9). This includes all drives in which we were kneeling the ball at the end of the half and end of the game. So you could drop maybe about 5-6 drives right there and the true number would be a little over 3.0. Not sure what the number is now, but as of 2015(All the info I could find) only 7 offenses had ever cracked the 3 points per drive barrier. 

Less drives in a game, might be a factor also. The average number of drives has been steadily declining for over a decade. Sunday night's 27 points don't seem like alot, but when you consider Buffalo only had 8 drives plus 1 kneel down, they averaged 3.4 points a drive(not counting the kneel down) Sunday night. Again the league average is 1.9

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

I think the issue is we are dominating but we're making so many sloppy mistakes on offense, which is making games closer than they should be. Defense, to date, less so.

With the exception of maybe Philadelphia, most teams have sloppy drives and turnovers.  The difference is no one is paying attention to other teams.  The number of Bills national, prime time and big games coupled with the massive vegas odds to win each game, MVP and the bowl that has eluded us all brings intense weekly scrutiny.  Bills coast to victory against the Pack and the narrative is they slept through half of the game.  If the remainder of the season unfolds this way, I'd be very happy.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.