NFL messing up a good thing (Pat McAfee)

DrDawkinstein

Just now, jlgarsh said:

But it saya he did pay the fee? That's the confusing part for me. 

He is paying 4M in a license.  The NFL gave him a letter recently (of course it is after the nice new 30M sponsorship from FanDuel) that Logos for graphics are not included in that license.  That is what I understand about this situation.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He is paying 4M in a license.  The NFL gave him a letter recently (of course it is after the nice new 30M sponsorship from FanDuel) that Logos for graphics are not included in that license.  That is what I understand about this situation.

Thanks for the context. It'll probably work itself out behind the scenes.

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

LOL @MAJBobby calling Patrick a simp while simping for the NFL. 

Ahhh look someone else thinks the NFL should allow people to profit off their IP for nothing.

I thought we liked Capitalism in America

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

He's misused Simp and Gaslighting so far. Someone take this boomer's internet access away before he starts trying to floss dance. 🤣

So do I fail TBD posting final?  What is my grade Professor

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Not a silly opinion. It is Capitalism. You want to profit of NFL materials PAY THE FEES. 

just that easy. All broadcasters do. So take some of your 30M a year made selling gambling to people that cannot afford it and send the fees for use of the logos. Or don’t. But crying about it ***** off 

Do you give away your ***** for FREE? 

Um, because there are situations where trying to maximize your income will have unintended consequences that will actually end up costing you money overall.

You do "give away your best *****" (do you really feel that team logos are the NFL's "best *****"? Seriously?) for free, if not giving your best ***** for free is going to cost you much more in the long run in bad publicity and aggravation, yes.

McAfee might be a bull they don't want to poke. Too early to be sure, but it's quite possible. He's done a great job bringing the NFL a ton of good positive publicity. Could he end up costing them money and tremendous irritation in the long run? Maybe.

• Agree 1

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

Um, because there are situations where trying to maximize your income will have unintended consequences that will actually end up costing you money overall.

You do "give away your best *****" (do you really feel that team logos are the NFL's "best *****"? Seriously?) for free, if not giving your best ***** for free is going to cost you much more in the long run in bad publicity and aggravation, yes.

McAfee might be a bull they don't want to poke. Too early to be sure, but it's quite possible. He's done a great job bringing the NFL a ton of good positive publicity. Could he end up costing them money and tremendous irritation in the long run? Maybe.

Yeah ok....  A lot of people have taken on the NFL, they just chew them up and spit them out, McAfee is no different. 

Quick what do you think Pat will do if he gets a letter tomorrow from FanDuel saying we are going to cancel our sponsorship because you do not have access to logos?  Or you want to take on the NFL over a little license fee upgrade?

You know the same FanDuel that is also in bed with the NFL

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Capital(ism) F! :bag:

Sweet, so do I have to repeat the course?

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Depending on what he’s capable of putting into public conversation he could potentially provide ammo or witnesses for congressional hearings. 🤷‍♂️. Gonna be interesting to see if something actually happens, but I’d be willing to bet he gets a ratings spike if he starts doing a “dark side of the league” segment every week. 

39 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

28 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

A Couple things.  

the NFL doesnt need to give away anything for Free Marketing.  They need to maximize all the revenue that they can maximize.  

Pats Show would not have a 30M a year contract to Fan Duel without the NFL would it?

So time for NFL to say you want to use our logos on your gambling graphic that you get 30M a year for.......  PAY US.  

How he will attack it, is will quietly pay the license fee and get access to the logos again, his 30M contract from Fan Duel will likely FORCE that.

I didn’t say that they “needed” to give away their product.  You asked the question.  I answered your question.  My answer is correct.  Millions of business give away trillions of dollars worth of assets every year.  You’re acting as if this doesn’t exist.  It’s sales 101.

Just now, Buffalo Junction said:

Depending on what he’s capable of putting into public conversation he could potentially provide ammo or witnesses for congressional hearings. 🤷‍♂️. Gonna be interesting to see if something actually happens, but I’d be willing to bet he gets a ratings spike if he starts doing a “dark side of the league” segment every week. 

Does he do it with FanDuel sends the letter saying their will end their 120M sponsorship?

Just now, NewEra said:

I didn’t say that they “needed” to give away their product.  You asked the question.  I answered your question.  My answer is correct.  Millions of business give away trillions of dollars worth of assets every year.  You’re acting as if this doesn’t exist.  It’s sales 101.

OK Cool so now this one..  Should the NFL give their IP away for free?  Or should they maximize their revenue?

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Does he do it with FanDuel sends the letter saying their will end their 120M sponsorship?

Probably not, but who knows. None of those guys are hurting for money. He’ll probably just pay and then reduce the fluff afterwards. Business is business and if he tries it and gets a rating boost he’ll keep it up. 

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah ok....  A lot of people have taken on the NFL, they just chew them up and spit them out, McAfee is no different. 

Quick what do you think Pat will do if he gets a letter tomorrow from FanDuel saying we are going to cancel our sponsorship because you do not have access to logos?  Or you want to take on the NFL over a little license fee upgrade?

You know the same FanDuel that is also in bed with the NFL

Sweet, so do I have to repeat the course?

But they aren’t going to do that because Pat is the best in the business and that’s why they pay him 30M per year.  

They don’t pay him because he has access to logos.  I certainly don’t watch him because of the nfl logos.  Fairly certain not one person on earth watches him because he shows NFL logos.  So…..your bolded is 💩 

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Not a silly opinion. It is Capitalism. You want to profit of NFL materials PAY THE FEES. 

just that easy. All broadcasters do. So take some of your 30M a year made selling gambling to people that cannot afford it and send the fees for use of the logos. Or don’t. But crying about it ***** off 

Technically it's not Capitalism when it's a monopoly (the Govt made an exception for) that accepts public $$ for buildings. 

But I get it's a business & Rodgers message is: "Pay Up Pat!"

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

OK Cool so now this one..  Should the NFL give their IP away for free?  Or should they maximize their revenue?

Millions of business give away their IP for free.  They do it in order maximize their revenue.  It’s called free advertising.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I watch it every day as well, but tbh after about 30 mins I have to move onto something else.  Then I catch up on what I missed with clips. No way I could handle that dude for 3 hrs a day every weekday, he's a bit too ADHD for me.

Cool story bro.  Thanks for sharing

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

First off, the Fanduel contract isn't new, it was announced and signed almost a year ago. They did pay for the rights to show highlights, but were also just informed they can't pause them. Wtf? As someone else put it, I love the Bills, but I hate the NFL.

As far as the big sponsor money, such as Fanduel is concerned, when Pat announced the deal he also announced a laundry list of high school and college sports programs and charities he was giving to. I believe each got a minimum of 250K. Well over $10 million worth. He wasn't just padding his pocket with the deal, he was helping out small sports programs and charities as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ahhh look someone else thinks the NFL should allow people to profit off their IP for nothing.

McAfee isn't profiting off the NFL's intellectual property "for nothing". 

He's generating enormous positive publicity for them by cultivating this free-spirit nothing-sacred no-holds-barred zeitgeist which draws viewers, while at the same time being actually very positive towards the Shield.  His show has built an enormous viewership - far more people watch his show on Youtube than his 2.5M followers.

The point being under those circs, it might be smarter for the NFL to say "OK, we'll say $4M covers the logos too" instead of poking the bear.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

First off, the Fanduel contract isn't new, it was announced and signed almost a year ago. They did pay for the rights to show highlights, but were also just informed they can't pause them. Wtf? As someone else put it, I love the Bills, but I hate the NFL.

As far as the big sponsor money, such as Fanduel is concerned, when Pat announced the deal he also announced a laundry list of high school and college sports programs and charities he was giving to. I believe each got a minimum of 250K. Well over $10 million worth. He wasn't just padding his pocket with the deal, he was helping out small sports programs and charities as well.

And that is good that he gave back.

Still makes a TON of money thanks to the NFL.....  They want their cut, nothing wrong with that either.

Otherwise dont profit off the NFL if you dont want to give them their cut

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Didnt answer the question 

I think he did, you don't seem able to decode his answer.  HIs answer was that allowing people to use IP without additional charge if they generate effective free advertising for you isn't "giving away IP" and may in fact be an effective means to maximize revenue.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Didnt answer the question 

They should give away their IP to some businesses that can help them build on their brand and maximize their revenue.  The nfl is in bed with sports betting now.  Pat works for a sports betting company.  It’s not like he’s benefiting from the NFL and not paying them.  He’s already paying them 4M per year.  Throwing one of your best business partners a bone is rarely a bad idea.  

26 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The Fan Duel contact was signed nearly a year ago....

The NFL sent a letter the last few days.

I wouldn't be shocked if there is a consumer protection issue here. Imagine Microsoft telling me I have to pay extra for spellcheck mid-cycle even though I paid for the license for a year. I can't imagine that the licensing agreement runs from week 8 to week 8 from year to year. McAfee is big enough not to get pushed around on this and likely will have, or already has, attorneys sending a letter to the league. 

Look for team logos to be reinstated in relatively short order.

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

McAfee isn't profiting off the NFL's intellectual property "for nothing". 

He's generating enormous positive publicity for them by cultivating this free-spirit nothing-sacred no-holds-barred zeitgeist which draws viewers, while at the same time being actually very positive towards the Shield.  His show has built an enormous viewership - far more people watch his show on Youtube than his 2.5M followers.

The point being under those circs, it might be smarter for the NFL to say "OK, we'll say $4M covers the logos too" instead of poking the bear.

Exactly 

On 10/31/2022 at 7:33 AM, MAJBobby said:

It means what it means. The new stadium prices should price out those antics.  Unless you want to drop PSLs massive ticket price to pass out because you are not an adult and cannot control yourself. 

Just for reference this was in the context of you defending another poster who was pushing for higher ticket prices/PSL's to weed out the undesirable behavior. 

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

The Fan Duel contact was signed nearly a year ago....

The NFL sent a letter the last few days.

I wouldn't be shocked if there is a consumer protection issue here. Imagine Microsoft telling me I have to pay extra for spellcheck mid-cycle even though I paid for the license for a year. I can't imagine that the licensing agreement runs from week 8 to week 8 from year to year. McAfee is big enough not to get pushed around on this and likely will have, or already has, attorneys sending a letter to the league. 

Look for team logos to be reinstated in relatively short order.

Good point, also on the "can show film clips, but can't pause them"

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Pat McAfee show was notified by the NFL, that even though the show pays the NFL $4M/yr to use clips and copyright material, the show is NOT allowed to use team logos in the graphics they make.

SMH...

Pat McAfee is the best thing FOOTBALL (college and NFL) has going towards marketing their products. Of course the NFL wants to mess that up.

I love McAfee's response "I dont think we've touched on many subjects we could have that we now will in the offseason. Such as CTE and insurance and the NFL being held accountable for the things they should be accountable for. Guess we'll start talking a lot more about that stuff."

I only watch the occasional clip of McAfee's show, although I do like him.

When the NFL said that "the show is NOT allowed to use team logos in the graphics they make," my attention is immediately drawn to the "graphics they make," part.

Does McAfee ever use NFL team logos on show-created graphics that might be considered off-color in any way?

The way I interpret what the NFL is demanding is that McAfee can use NFL team logos as long as they're not part of graphics made by the show.

Just trying to figure out if there's a reason for that, that might stick out to a regular viewer.

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

When the NFL said that "the show is NOT allowed to use team logos in the graphics they make," my attention is immediately drawn to the "graphics they make," part.

Does McAfee ever use NFL team logos on show-created graphics that might be considered off-color in any way?

The way I interpret what the NFL is demanding is that McAfee can use NFL team logos as long as they're not part of graphics made by the show.

Just trying to figure out if there's a reason for that, that might stick out to a regular viewer.

I havent seen every graphic ever made, but not that I've seen. And that doesnt follow McAfee's MO (up to this point) of being an evangelist for the NFL. As far as I know, it was only stats and match-ups.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

All this is is the NFL saying "Hey you make a lot of money talking about our product and we want more $ from you." Sucks and I do think Pat has helped younger audiences be more NFL fans, I think he has the best show that covers the NFL today. But NFL owners only care about one thing and it's why they're all billionaires... cash. 

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's not just the logos. Part of what they paid for was showing highlights, NFL just told them they can't pause highlights when showing them. Not showing logos, in a way I get that part, but not being able to pause a highlight when you paid good money to be able to show highlights, seems way over the top to me.

• Agree 4

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But they aren’t going to do that because Pat is the best in the business and that’s why they pay him 30M per year.  

They don’t pay him because he has access to logos.  I certainly don’t watch him because of the nfl logos.  Fairly certain not one person on earth watches him because he shows NFL logos.  So…..your bolded is 💩 

They also have a contract that I'm pretty sure none of us have read. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.