2023 Concerts

T&C

I had tickets but decided to couch tour the west coast swing, could justify the logistics of those shows spread out over 2+ weeks, so i got rid of my tix and couch toured them.  Such a great summer tour overall.  Wish they went deeper into the catalog this time out, but the Standing's, Estimated>Eyes etc were among the best i've ever heard, among others.

13 hours ago, Logic said:

Just caught the last five shows of Dead and Company on their final tour. Two at the Gorge and three at Oracle Park in San Francisco. All were excellent.

The band seems to be playing the best they ever have, so it's a shame to see them go. Alas, Bob Weir is like 75 years old and it's unreasonable to expect him to tour and play four hour shows forever.

Anyway, it was a fun weekend in San Fran. Deadheads took over the city. I felt bad for the hotel staffs and food purveyors that had to deal with these hordes of hippies pre and post (particularly post) shows. Amazing that Dead music is still packing 50,000 fans into a sold out baseball stadium three nights in a row, 58 years after it first began. 

Now we wait to see what the next iteration of Dead music will be, and whether or not I'll wind up at ANOTHER "final tour" a few years from now.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/18/2023 at 8:29 AM, Gregg said:

Isn't Bob still playing with Wolf Bros? At 75 it is unreasonable to expect him to continue touring like he has. Factor many of those 75 years were "hard living/partying" years and it is a wonder Bob is still here. Same could be said for Phil, Mickey, and Bill.

Since you brought this up, just picked up tix to see Weir & Wolf Bros in Sept on their Fall tour.

• Like (+1) 2

I just bought tix for Weir at the Met in Philly, Oteil and Friends at Stone Pony in Asbury Park, Billy & The Kids in Baltimore and JRAD in Bethlehem.

4 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Since you brought this up, just picked up tix to see Weir & Wolf Bros in Sept on their Fall tour.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I just bought tix for Weir at the Met in Philly, Oteil and Friends at Stone Pony in Asbury Park, Billy & The Kids in Baltimore and JRAD in Bethlehem.

I enjoyed the last couple Wolf Bros shows I saw so much!

First off, it's cool to see Bobby in a smaller theater instead of a giant stadium where he's as big as an ant.

Second, he digs more deeply into the song repertoire than Dead and Co.

Third, some of the songs really benefit from the horn section -- assuming they'll be along for the ride this tour. A song like Mexicali Blues, for instance, really shines with horns.

Wolf Bros breathe new life and ideas into the songs in a way that other iterations have not. I dig 'em. Enjoy!

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Saw Cake last night at the Rooftop at Pier 17 in NYC. 

Fantastic. 

John McCrea could be a stand-up comic. 

Perfect mix of great tunes, great dialogue and a lot of fan interaction. 

This has been a bucket list show for me since the mid-90s and they did not disappoint. 

Highly recommend. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

Saw Cake last night at the Rooftop at Pier 17 in NYC. 

Fantastic. 

John McCrea could be a stand-up comic. 

Perfect mix of great tunes, great dialogue and a lot of fan interaction. 

This has been a bucket list show for me since the mid-90s and they did not disappoint. 

Highly recommend. 

My good friend is at cake tonight.  

I want a girl with a short skirt and a long, jacket😂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

So last time I reviewed a Canadian concert, I think there were threats of nuclear war and relationship break-ups- thank you Cowboy Junkies.  

This Canadian concert review is going to be different. 

Once the plutonium night cleared from our souls, I invited my gal to go see Neil Young in Ridgeway, Washington... at the RV Life ****ing Rocks Amphitheater at the Cow Auction Fairgrounds.  

It went different.  

This was the first time either of is got to see him.  Got lucky with seats, last-second score about 18 rows back, dead-center.  

Opening act was really talented and made for a good sound check. 

Then Neil Young hit the stage.  Solo show with a surrounding cast of instruments he'd acquired in the 60's and early 70's.  He told us what they'd cost when he bought them. .. Pawn shop in '68, this piano's been on tour with me since 1972... Stills gave me this guitar and told me I need to use it on my next 10 albums...

It was like he'd taken his favorite instruments on tour with him, and you were invited to check out what they could do.  It was like hanging out in his barn.  

and he was brilliant

I've heard he's been diagnosed with some form of dementia, so I didn't know what to expect.   I saw nothing but focus- I'd kinda expect nothing less. 

He generally went for the lesser-known and Buffalo Springfield-era stuff. Funny enough, that's some of my favorite music of his.  

It was gorgeous front to back, I couldn't have imagined him sounding any better in 1973, let alone 2023.  

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-young/2023/rv-inn-style-resorts-amphitheater-ridgefield-wa-2ba7581a.html

I own this LP, and I'd put the show I just saw right up there with it:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

On 7/28/2023 at 4:27 AM, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

So last time I reviewed a Canadian concert, I think there were threats of nuclear war and relationship break-ups- thank you Cowboy Junkies.  

This Canadian concert review is going to be different. 

Once the plutonium night cleared from our souls, I invited my gal to go see Neil Young in Ridgeway, Washington... at the RV Life ****ing Rocks Amphitheater at the Cow Auction Fairgrounds.  

It went different.  

This was the first time either of is got to see him.  Got lucky with seats, last-second score about 18 rows back, dead-center.  

Opening act was really talented and made for a good sound check. 

Then Neil Young hit the stage.  Solo show with a surrounding cast of instruments he'd acquired in the 60's and early 70's.  He told us what they'd cost when he bought them. .. Pawn shop in '68, this piano's been on tour with me since 1972... Stills gave me this guitar and told me I need to use it on my next 10 albums...

It was like he'd taken his favorite instruments on tour with him, and you were invited to check out what they could do.  It was like hanging out in his barn.  

and he was brilliant

I've heard he's been diagnosed with some form of dementia, so I didn't know what to expect.   I saw nothing but focus- I'd kinda expect nothing less. 

He generally went for the lesser-known and Buffalo Springfield-era stuff. Funny enough, that's some of my favorite music of his.  

It was gorgeous front to back, I couldn't have imagined him sounding any better in 1973, let alone 2023.  

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-young/2023/rv-inn-style-resorts-amphitheater-ridgefield-wa-2ba7581a.html

I own this LP, and I'd put the show I just saw right up there with it:

Killer set list, congrats, wish I was there too.

• Agree 1

I see lots of lesser known bands at least weekly here in RVA, nice to live a 10-15 minute walk to two great live music venues. 

On the more known side , saw Disco Biscuits few weeks back and Flatland Cavalry on Friday both at the National in RVA. 

enjoyed both band’s immensely! Although my age showed on the Biscuits. They started at 8:30, took a 30 minute break and we’re still going strong when I tapped out about midnight. Heard they played another 30 minutes or so. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

More shows will be added...

Bob Dylan, Rough and Rowdy Ways Worldwide Tour, Fall 2023

Oct. 1 - Kansas City, MO @ The Midland Theatre
Oct. 2 - Kansas City, MO @ The Midland Theatre
Oct. 4 - St. Louis, MO @ Stifel Theatre
Oct. 6 - Chicago, IL @ Cadillac Palace Theatre
Oct. 7 - Chicago, IL @ Cadillac Palace Theatre
Oct. 8 - Chicago, IL @ Cadillac Palace Theatre
Oct. 11 - Milwaukee, WI @ The Riverside Theater
Oct. 12 - Milwaukee, WI @ The Riverside Theater
Oct. 16 - Indianapolis, IN @ Murat Theatre
Oct. 20 - Cincinnati, OH @ The Andrew J. Brady Music Center
Oct. 21 - Akron, OH @ Akron Civic Theatre
Oct. 23 - Erie, PA @ Warner Theatre
Oct. 24 - Rochester, NY @ Auditorium Theatre
Oct. 26 - Toronto, ON @ Massey Hall
Oct. 27 - Toronto, ON @ Massey Hall
Oct. 29 - Montreal, QB @ Place des Arts - Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier
Oct. 30 - Schenectady, NY @ Proctors Theatre

Read More: Bob Dylan Announces New North American Tour Dates | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/bob-dylan-north-american-tour-2023/?fbclid=IwAR3okiRFHEc3-i5rdJLleYNvXP9DNJT4awRTjwNj5tz3U6goHfpRH31ULFY&utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/18/2023 at 6:28 AM, The Poojer said:

I had tickets but decided to couch tour the west coast swing, could justify the logistics of those shows spread out over 2+ weeks, so i got rid of my tix and couch toured them.  Such a great summer tour overall.  Wish they went deeper into the catalog this time out, but the Standing's, Estimated>Eyes etc were among the best i've ever heard, among others.

This is awesome. I never thought of it exactly like you stated it before. But couch touring it is FTW. So at youtube just now this was top shelf  so we will couch tour this together 🙂 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/foo-fighters/2023/lake-tahoe-outdoor-arena-stateline-nv-ba45de6.html

PS: and to @BringMetheHeadofLeonLett I attended his san diego performance at a venue called the Rady Shell. It sits behind the convention center on the embarcadero. It was created for great sound It is where the SD symphony performs. I loved your write up describing it. You stated it so well. It felt very homey.

Word smiths galore in this place gotta love it. 🙂

LOVE EARTH

Edited by muppy

Last week we saw Leftover Salmon, Railroad Earth, and Yonder Mountain String Band. All three put on great performances. At the end of YMSB's set, the other two bands joined them on stage for the encore. The three bands did a nice version of Shakedown Street.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

On 8/21/2023 at 4:10 PM, T&C said:

More shows will be added...

Bob Dylan, Rough and Rowdy Ways Worldwide Tour, Fall 2023

Oct. 1 - Kansas City, MO @ The Midland Theatre
Oct. 2 - Kansas City, MO @ The Midland Theatre
Oct. 4 - St. Louis, MO @ Stifel Theatre
Oct. 6 - Chicago, IL @ Cadillac Palace Theatre
Oct. 7 - Chicago, IL @ Cadillac Palace Theatre
Oct. 8 - Chicago, IL @ Cadillac Palace Theatre
Oct. 11 - Milwaukee, WI @ The Riverside Theater
Oct. 12 - Milwaukee, WI @ The Riverside Theater
Oct. 16 - Indianapolis, IN @ Murat Theatre
Oct. 20 - Cincinnati, OH @ The Andrew J. Brady Music Center
Oct. 21 - Akron, OH @ Akron Civic Theatre
Oct. 23 - Erie, PA @ Warner Theatre
Oct. 24 - Rochester, NY @ Auditorium Theatre
Oct. 26 - Toronto, ON @ Massey Hall
Oct. 27 - Toronto, ON @ Massey Hall
Oct. 29 - Montreal, QB @ Place des Arts - Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier
Oct. 30 - Schenectady, NY @ Proctors Theatre

Read More: Bob Dylan Announces New North American Tour Dates | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/bob-dylan-north-american-tour-2023/?fbclid=IwAR3okiRFHEc3-i5rdJLleYNvXP9DNJT4awRTjwNj5tz3U6goHfpRH31ULFY&utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Well… I got all excited that he was playing a very small venue in Schenectady (less than an hour from me), but just saw that it sold out almost instantly. Face value tix ranged $63-$533, so the aftermarket prices will be nuts. There goes that!!

EDIT: I just checked TickPick … cheapest resale ticket is $875. 

Edited by Gugny
  • Dislike 1

• 3 weeks later...

Realized I never gave a half hearted review of Peter Gabriel in Ottawa.  Worth it if you're a PG fan and know a lot of his music.  If you only know the songs from So, you'll be disappointed.  He doesn't move around as much as he did when I saw him back in 2002 for the Growing Up tour, but he still puts on a great show.  I think he may have one more tour in him within the next 10 years, probably a farewell tour.  

His closer is Biko, and the band leaves the stage one by one, till it's just the audience chanting.  This is a video from the Ottawa show.

• Like (+1) 1

Saw Pearl Jam on back to back nights in Austin last weekend for the final shows of the tour.

They put on a great show, as always. It was way less "greatest hits" and way more "rarities and deep cuts", which was PERFECT for me as a long time, diehard fan. I could see where more casual attendees would've hated it, though. I mean, they still played their five or six biggest hits, but the rest of the show was very much in service of the hardcore fan, which is awesome, because in recent years they've become much more of a "greatest hits" act.

They still put on a hell of a show. Eddie's voice is still top notch. They performed one song that they've played less than five times total in their 32 year career. Typing that just now makes me realize they've now been around longer than the Grateful Dead existed. That's crazy to me. Wow.

Next up, Billy Strings on back to back nights in Portland. Been a great summer for music, with five Dead and Co shows, two Pearl Jam, and now two Billy Strings. Live music is the ***** best.

• Like (+1) 1

Just saw Bobby Weir and Wolf Bros last night at the Met in Philly.  Might be one of the best shows I've ever seen.  The energy was off the charts.  The setlist was awesome.  Horns and strings really enhanced the classic Dead tunes.  If you are a deadhead and haven't seen them, I highly suggest you go see them.  So freaking good.  And for 77, Bobby was as good as I've seen and heard him in years!!! 

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/27/2023 at 6:01 PM, Logic said:

Saw Pearl Jam on back to back nights in Austin last weekend for the final shows of the tour.

They put on a great show, as always. It was way less "greatest hits" and way more "rarities and deep cuts", which was PERFECT for me as a long time, diehard fan. I could see where more casual attendees would've hated it, though. I mean, they still played their five or six biggest hits, but the rest of the show was very much in service of the hardcore fan, which is awesome, because in recent years they've become much more of a "greatest hits" act.

They still put on a hell of a show. Eddie's voice is still top notch. They performed one song that they've played less than five times total in their 32 year career. Typing that just now makes me realize they've now been around longer than the Grateful Dead existed. That's crazy to me. Wow.

Next up, Billy Strings on back to back nights in Portland. Been a great summer for music, with five Dead and Co shows, two Pearl Jam, and now two Billy Strings. Live music is the ***** best.

Definitely a bucket list show for me. 

Great to hear about the deep cuts. 

One thing that will always boggle my mind is Last Kiss. WHY?  Why did they do that?  I wonder if they ever play it live. 

• 2 weeks later...

We saw Ringo Starr and his All Star band last night.  My 10 year old grandson ( an avowed Beatles fan )  loved the concert

as did all the AARP+ members of the audience.

I knew Edgar Winter was a great musician and last night proved that by leaps and bounds.  Wow he was good.

It was a fun concert and it will be my last time dealing with Ticketmaster.

If not for the fine people in the ticket office our night would have been ruined.

Instead of 5 seats together in a row, ticketmaster sent us 5 seats in 5 different rows.

AARRGGHHHHHHHHHHHH.

And  tickets on the cell phone are an abomination.

Yes, I'm old and get off my lawn

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/10/2023 at 6:30 AM, LewPort71 said:

We saw Ringo Starr and his All Star band last night.  My 10 year old grandson ( an avowed Beatles fan )  loved the concert

as did all the AARP+ members of the audience.

I knew Edgar Winter was a great musician and last night proved that by leaps and bounds.  Wow he was good.

It was a fun concert and it will be my last time dealing with Ticketmaster.

If not for the fine people in the ticket office our night would have been ruined.

Instead of 5 seats together in a row, ticketmaster sent us 5 seats in 5 different rows.

AARRGGHHHHHHHHHHHH.

And  tickets on the cell phone are an abomination.

Yes, I'm old and get off my lawn

It don't come easy

(Ringo is my fave of the Beatles... I'm jealous)

Bad Religion tonight. Home before 11 PM? That's gotta be a first. Good show, right up my alley- punk/pop and heavier than expected.

I knew nothing of the band  going in and wasn't expecting:

- the singer looking like a dentist

-left guitar looking like he'd fit right in next to a wooden barrel on Hee-Haw

- right guitar looking like Kelly Leak 

- bass player looking exactly like a gangly Steve Martin (couldn't get over that one all night)

BadReligion.jpg

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.