Was it Allen or Daboll?

Charles Romes

I was one of those who thought it was all-Allen. In fact, in my view Allen carried Daboll all four years. However, looking at the astonishing reclamation going on in New York, it’s difficult to ignore the possibility that the Bills lucked out by having an all-time quarterback whisperer on staff when Allen arrived. Allen would have become great no matter who coached him, but possibly not this level of great. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Disagree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

I mean is Jones really that special that what the Giants are doing is telling you Daboll is a QB whisperer? He hasn’t thrown for over 2TDs or 217 yards all season. The Giants aren’t winning because Jones, they are winning with good defense and the best RB (comeback player of the year) in Barkley 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 8

Daboll seems to have a very good understanding of how to tailor his team's offense to the personnel at this disposal.  When he had Josh Allen, he slung it on every play.  When he has Daniel Jones, he puts the game in Barkley's hands.  That's smart, and of course Allen benefited from being coached by a smart staff.

That said, Allen is probably playing better now than he ever has in the regular season.  It's not like Daboll's absence is hurting anything.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 8

Dabs has NY playing solid ball, with very little talent out there, but he hasn’t turned Danny Dimes into an All-Pro.  I will give credit where credit is due, Daboll is having a much larger impact that I imagined he could in NY, which makes me believe he was in fact a larger part of righting the ship here than he got credit for.  

That said, Allen is Allen, he’s absolutely a Generational talent.  Dabol certainly gave him frame work to make things happen, but Josh has taken it well beyond what anyone could have hoped for.  He’s an absolute monster.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I’m happy that Daboll is taking a lot of what he’s seen and learned from his time here with the Bills and successfully applying it in his new gig. He’s also surrounded himself with good people and given them the opportunity to prove themselves.

The Giants are playing hard, gritty and getting it done on both sides of the ball. They remind me a lot of the Titans. It rarely looks pretty, but a dub is a dub. 

All those things said, I’m also happy he is no longer our OC and calling plays. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's probably a combination of both. It's a small sample size but I actually think Dorsey is doing a better job as OC then Daboll. I thought Daboll was a good OC. What he is doing with the Giants is remarkable. The OL and WR's are terrible and they only have one weapon on offense in Barkley. He is definitely an early season candidate for coach of the year.

• Agree 2

Daboll was a good OC, when he gets a few years under his belt as a HC then we'll see how he is at the top.  He seems to have the right personality for it, and is off to a great start. although the Bears, Panthers and Packers aren't exactly tough outs these days.

Josh is still ripping it up with Dorsey, and will likely continue that with whoever they put in as OC.

Daboll is very good at reconizing what his team is capable of doing well, what they are not capable of doing well and then maximizing their strengths and minimizing their weaknesses.

He helped Allen tremendously to grow into what he is today but Allen is at a point where he is something special and could pretty much make most OC's look brilliant.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m always going to stick to Daboll is an offensive genius. He did an extremely good job of slowly feeding Allen more and more without putting too much on him. 
I don’t think he was a very good in game play caller though. Kafka has to get some credit for that giants offense as well as Daboll. 
I’m not sure Allen gets to this high of a level this fast or maybe at all without Daboll. 

Just now, Big Turk said:

Daboll is very good at reconizing what his team is capable of doing well, what they are not capable of doing well and then maximizing their strengths and minimizing their weaknesses.

He helped Allen tremendously to grow into what he is today but Allen is at a point where he is something special and could pretty much make most OC's look brilliant.

Like Peyton with Adam Gase.

Ask both of them what they think. They'll both give a lot of credit to the other person. So that tells me both of them played a role in the success they had.

I will say none of it is possible without Allen's amazing potential and work ethic. That is a requirement that only Allen can take credit for and it is the most important piece.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2

The things that Allen describes as seeing before and during plays is just remarkable...

Last week on the 98 yard TD to Davis, Allen said he noticed the safety was taking a bad angle on the double team and couldn't provide help so he knew Davis would be open once he cleared the CB...

Yesterday, he talks about how he saw the underneath player on the throw to Knox and was trying to point for him to go back towards the middle of the endzone where there was a bunch of open space, but then decided to throw it to him and knew he had to put the ball over the underneath DB that was there and threw a perfectly placed laser about 2 inches over the DBs fingers when he jumped and it was perfectly placed to Knox where only he could catch it even with very good coverage on the play really...

It's like how the F do you see all that in real time, process it so fast and then have your physical talent match your mental processing to exactly do what you wanted to with the ball?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Two words....Don "Wink" Martindale.

NY Giants DC is doing a good job with that defense.

Daboll is doing is also doing a good job with the team as HC. Assistants are a big reason why teams play well or not.

Gotta wonder if ole Wink is being missed in Baltimore? 

Lets not forget that his OC is Mike Kafka who was the KC Chiefs QB coach.  

P.S. Josh Allen "that alien unicorn" would make Nathaniel Hackett look good.

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Agree 1

Daboll is good at reading the room and he set the tone early when he decided to go for 2 against the Titans to win the game rather than take the tie and opt for overtime.  It showed the coach had confidence in his team and that's developed into a two-way relationship.  It was an early gamble and it worked.  He immediately established trust and respect with his players which got everyone believing.  He also rewarded guys making plays and preparing hard with game time and opportunities no matter their draft status or play level.  In a pretty weak looking NFC conference they seem like a legitimate NFC wild card contender and he seems to have the team pointed in the right direction for the first time in a long time.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.