When do you typically get big game, game day anxiety?

Royale with Cheese

I don't get much pre-game anxiety.

DURING the game, though? Oh man.

I can often be found pacing back on forth, standing mere inches from the TV, or sitting literally on the edge of my seat.

I have to have a book to read on commercial breaks because I have no chill for the three minutes that the game isn't on.

My wife often says "why do you do this to yourself? Do you even ENJOY watching football?!". The answer is...."it's complicated". 😆

Kristen Wiig Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’ve been doing the better living through chemistry (the legal Rx kind) thing for anxiety the past couple of years. I have a few supplemental doses per month the doc prescribed for extra heavy days.

Even the AFC Championship game 2 years ago, it kinda seemed like it came and went with a blur, speaking time-wise.

When I was younger I would literally get sick with anxiety and what might now be called panic attacks (and for those reading the thread on OTW, I’m also on the autism spectrum, where anxiety is kinda part & parcel).

• Like (+1) 1

The only thing making me nervous right now is that I've never experienced the Bills being the betting favorite for the SB before.

Even after the KC loss in the playoffs last year there was some mocking about 13 seconds but mostly everyone was just talking about the epic game that Allen played.  If we get humbled in THIS game, though, something like a loss by a TD or more, it's going to be a different story and I'll need to avoid the media for the entire week.

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

I can often be found pacing back on forth, standing mere inches from the TV, or sitting literally on the edge of my seat.

I have to have a book to read on commercial breaks because I have no chill for the three minutes that the game isn't on.

My wife often says "why do you do this to yourself? Do you even ENJOY watching football?!". The answer is...."it's complicated". 😆

I am the same way with the pacing and hovering right in front of the TV. My coping mechanism during commercials is checking other scores/fantasy matchups...too bad I can't do that Thursday night! 😬

• Like (+1) 1

I’m going to go to my first Bills road game in my life. It’s the Super Bowl winning Rams on Thursday night and they are going to hoist the banners. There will be famous people dotted within the audience and Black Sabbath (LOL)  is playing at half time….

Also my first game that I see Josh Allen live!  I’m pumped! I’m so pumped I’m exhausted. Like I’m too excited. Glad I don’t have to play and I hope the Bills aren’t too pumped… I hope they don’t get too tired while the banners are hoisted. I’m also a huge admirer of Sofi stadium. I hope we can get there real early and check it out from an architectural point of view… I’m going with two architects to aid in my scenic tour.  I’ll probably spend about $1000 ticket, beer, hotel, lunch, dinner and then breakfast…. I can’t afford to do that very much that is fer sure…

I think it’s going to be too hot to wear a jersey….

Its definitely going to be a dogfight. I find it highly improbable that either team can win easy. The rams are just too good. We have are trouble spots (imho) with Spencer Brown starting after not really training too much this offseason (and I was really psyched that he’d train like crazy this offseason) and then Dane Jackson gets a start and he is paired with rookies going to split time. My guess is Elam excels at man and Benford at zone but talk about nerves being a rookie CB’s first game! National TV millions of viewers scrutinizing every move. Going against Cooper Kupp? Anyway, huge game for all three of our corners. I have some faith that Hyde and Poyer can ease their fears….TJ too… I honestly think if the Bills win it will be by a hair. Though once Tre White returns to form and our young corners get some very valuable experience our secondary will be awesome. Maybe the best the NFL has to offer. Once that happens, we will be nearly unbeatable, imho…

Bills win scoring a TD to Khalil Shakir with seven seconds left winning by two….

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

As of now, all I am feeling is excitement.

Through yesterday, I had myself convinced that the Bills will lose on Thursday.  But I knew that would change as the game gets closer and that's already happening.  By Thursday morning, I'll have the Bills winning by two scores.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

same here….and if the Bills get up by 14 …for some reason it gets worse..I panic that they are going to blow it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

My wife often says "why do you do this to yourself? Do you even ENJOY watching football?!". The answer is...."it's complicated"😆

When I met my wife back in the 80’s, the Bills went 2-14 in back to back seasons. My wife asked the exact same questions!  The next year they went 4-12, not exactly “whadaya you say now?” material. 

The only correct answer is, this may take some time.

We went to the Bills/Redskins SB rather than buy a dining room set. She’s used to it now, no longer has to take the kids and the dogs for 3 hour walks. We are now in training with the grandkid’s generation. Next one due in October and my son is worried she will arrive on a game day. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

When I met my wife back in the 80’s, the Bills went 2-14 in back to back seasons. My wife asked the exact same questions!  The next year they went 4-12, not exactly “whadaya you say now?” material. 

The only correct answer is, this may take some time.

We went to the Bills/Redskins SB rather than buy a dining room set. She’s used to it now, no longer has to take the kids and the dogs for 3 hour walks. We are now in training with the grandkid’s generation. Next one due in October and my son is worried she will arrive on a game day. 

My wife used to work every Sunday. She'd find out from co-workers or customers what the final score of the Bills game was so that she knew what to expect and "how to act around me" when she got home.

What saints they are to put up with our foolishness!

I've gotten much better over the years. I used to let a loss ruin my whole Sunday (and maybe my Monday, and maybe...). I'd be all sullen and irritable. Not any more. Life is too short. Losses suck, sure. They hurt bad. But not bad enough to let it affect my life or the way I interact with loved ones. Life is just too damned short.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.