Were the Bills "Hiding" Cook's skillset in the preseason?

ChicagoRic

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He got treated as the starter, as did Singletary and Moss. All 3 will play roles in this offense this season so not sure why it's surprising to see little of any of them. It's no secret the coaching staff wants all 3 healthy entering week 1.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve been pounding the table (new phrase I learned from this board) for Buffalo to acquire a “water bug” RB for the past few years. Just not with the #9 overall pick like they did with Spiller.

One of my favorite non-Bills players was Darren Sproles. I know Cook & Sproles are not quite the same player, but just imagine how much an offense would benefit from an extra 500-600 receiving yards from the RB position. Suddenly those safety valve passes turn into explosive gains. 

The question is whether can he be a true workhorse like his brother. He will have to learn pass protection and getting those tough yards between tackles especially at the goal line. He wasn’t really a TD vulture at Georgia. If he becomes part of a good 1-2 punch with Singletary I will be satisfied. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I'm convinced they sandbagged him.  He only had 12 snaps in the first 2 games, and a few in Carolina.  I think they've got big plans for Cook, and they didn't reveal anything except that he has skills.  

It's been done before....just sayin'

8 hours ago, NickelCity said:

I actually think to some extent they were. 

Agreed.  Cook isn’t a guy who needed to “get some work” in the preseason.  He’s got an excellent pedigree and played college football at the highest level.  He was drafted to bring something to this offense we haven’t had in a very long time.  There is no question in my mind Dorsey had no intention of showcasing Cook in meaningless games.

4 hours ago, eball said:

Agreed.  Cook isn’t a guy who needed to “get some work” in the preseason.  He’s got an excellent pedigree and played college football at the highest level.  He was drafted to bring something to this offense we haven’t had in a very long time.  There is no question in my mind Dorsey had no intention of showcasing Cook in meaningless games.

Like the first half of the season or so.

That's how McDermott tends to handle rookies. Most likely it's how they'll handle Cook as well.

By the way, apparently Singletary was also not a guy who needed to "get some work" in the preseason. 12 total carries in his rookie preseason. 10 the next year. And 4 this year. Moss had 8 carries in his rookie preaseason and 7 last year.

Yup, I think you guys are onto something. This isn't just something they do. It's a new top-secret ploy for Cook.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Of course.

Those greedy bast***s have been hiding my skill set since the early 90s.  

30 years wasted.  Oh the up-back records on punt team that could have been broken.

I have little doubt your inter-practice squad scrimmage tapes were glorious however! 

🤩

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

Hoping to see more from him.  Wondering if he's the kind of guy who needs touches to get into a rhythm.

I think the Bills did hide the way they are going to play him a little bit. 
I hope he isn’t the kind of back that needs reps to get going. WRs play when they get a target, or a chance, we need our backs to ready for anything and to relish blocking (along with our WRs.)

Everyone blocks well, the offense should be fine.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Like the first half of the season or so.

That's how McDermott tends to handle rookies. Most likely it's how they'll handle Cook as well.

By the way, apparently Singletary was also not a guy who needed to "get some work" in the preseason. 12 total carries in his rookie preseason. 10 the next year. And 4 this year. Moss had 8 carries in his rookie preaseason and 7 last year.

Yup, I think you guys are onto something. This isn't just something they do. It's a new top-secret ploy for Cook.

LOL, I appreciate the sarcasm, but you can agree that both things could be true, right?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.