Tre White to PUP list, out first 4 games

YoloinOhio

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

No I don't understand that, he wasn't let go he was signed by the Steelers as a free agent. He wasn't the only defensive back to have a terrible game, both our all pro safeties got lit up also. I prefer a guy who has been there and done that, having 2 rookies trying to learn the ropes in a SB window is just irresponsible. Again if both the rookies play like all pro's then they dodged a bullet but if they don't we may be scrambling to find some help. I don't hate the Bills or the coaching staff and I'm not saying we'll lose every game because of it but it seems we've neglected to add veterans back there for some odd reason.

We were we weak at cornerback going into the draft,  and until our rookie DB's play this year in some real game situations.  We will see where we stand after 4 games.  I bet their first quarterly report card is going to be about a C+.

I just don't see our rookie CB's shutting down the receivers we are going to face in the first 4 games this year.  It might be fairly ugly at times too.  Another concern is officiating this year,  and them calling more closely contested pass coverage.  If they call it really tight and don't let the incidental contact happen we are screwed.  Rookies are are not going to play at that high of a level right out of the gate.  Mistakes will occur every single game.  It's just how many they commit and how bad it costs us.

Edited by Toyo321

1 hour ago, Beast said:

The Bills defense has been built by trying to take away the big play for the last 5 years. Have you even bothered to notice what I assume you have been watching?

You are posting like that is some shocking relevation. Have you been frustrated watching them for the past 5 seasons?

While the Bills do play with 2 high safeties a lot of the time they are actually primarily a cover 1 and cover 3 team with over half of their defensive snaps with 1 deep safety (Hyde). If you can't rely on your young corners then you are forced to drop Poyer back too to cover the deep halves which takes away one of our best ball hawks and play makers. If you are just running a vanilla cover 2 or cover 4 the entire game, a good QB like Stafford is going to pick you apart with Kupp and Woods sitting in the holes all game long. That plays to their strength. The ability to be versatile and mix up coverages is what keeps the offense guessing. If you know what you are going to see every play because you don't have corners you can trust it's going to be a pretty simple game plan: 10 yards and get open. It's like in baseball when you know the pitcher doesn't have a curve ball. The Bills should have seen White was not going to be ready and signed a veteran. This is hubris imo. They think our defense is so good and we are so great at coaching up CB's we can stick anyone out there and they will play well enough. We'll see. I think it's going to be a frustrating night 

1 hour ago, Beast said:

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Edited by KDIGGZ

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

Definitely saw this coming.  Timing sucks with Robinson and Kupp in week 1.  Weeks 2-4 don’t concern me as much

But isn’t Kupp almost exclusively in the slot and therefore Taron’s match up?

Robinson is their real only outside threat and they should be able to use the safety to help cover deep.

I am more worried about them using Kupp to get a TE open by attacking the middle of the field.

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

This is why I expect us to dial up more pressure this year early on. It’s time for the offense and that DL to shine to start the year. Let’s start a week from Thursday and put 35 on the Champs with 3-4 sacks.  

The idea is to get pressure with the front four in McD's scheme...not bring pressure with blitzes, zone or otherwise.  

Besides, they've invested a ton into that DL...if they can't get pressure from that unit then something is really wrong. 

26 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

While the Bills do play with 2 high safeties a lot of the time they are actually primarily a cover 1 and cover 3 team with over half of their defensive snaps with 1 deep safety (Hyde). If you can't rely on your young corners then you are forced to drop Poyer back too to cover the deep halves which takes away one of our best ball hawks and play makers. If you are just running a vanilla cover 2 or cover 4 the entire game, a good QB like Stafford is going to pick you apart with Kupp and Woods sitting in the holes all game long. That plays to their strength. The ability to be versatile and mix up coverages is what keeps the offense guessing. If you know what you are going to see every play because you don't have corners you can trust it's going to be a pretty simple game plan: 10 yards and get open. It's like in baseball when you know the pitcher doesn't have a curve ball. The Bills should have seen White was not going to be ready and signed a veteran. This is hubris imo. They think our defense is so good and we are so great at coaching up CB's we can stick anyone out there and they will play well enough. We'll see. I think it's going to be a frustrating night 

Woods is no longer on the team - so he can sit in any hole he wants week 1.

Kupp will be covered by Johnson - most likely with safety help shaded his way.

Robinson is the primary outside receiver- and he has been mostly about getting deep - so my guess is they will shade the single high safety to that side and try to protect deep.

I am pretty sure you will see a combination of man/zone on the other side with both Elam and Benford in the game.

It might be frustrating because the Rams are a good team, but I think the idea of signing a veteran DB was never happening- a guy like Haden just is no longer a better player than the rookies - and if you are getting someone better - you have to get rid of some depth or you lack money for Von Miller.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

All available free agents sign in Buffalo right?

So lets say we sign one of those guys.  That means our 1st round pick in Elam would be a back up.  Then you would complain our 1st round pick is a back up after White returns.  

Right, then in addition, Gilmore signed for 2 yr $20M with a $7.75M cap hit this year.  So then people would complain that we have $24M tied up at CB and that 4 of our top 10 paid players are DBs, and that 8 of our top 12 paid players are defenders.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

He’ll be back after the bye 

I actually think they could bring back sooner than that. I think he’s probably relatively close to being cleared which was why Beane said they were taking it down to to the last minute, but they know he needs to practice first etc and by drafting Elam and Benford that gives them the luxury to not need to rush  him back for the early games, to increase the potential that he’s full strength for the bulk of the schedule and playoffs. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, Success said:

Dane Jackson has looked great - and a 1st rounder should be able to start on day 1.

This is how depth gets built. You can have good players waiting in the wings - but they also need experience. Hopefully, this will serve the Bills better down the home stretch & in the playoffs.

As long as it doesn’t cost us couple of games which could decide the #1 or # 2,seed !!!

Edited by Putin

1 hour ago, Toyo321 said:

We were we weak at cornerback going into the draft,  and until our rookie DB's play this year in some real game situations.  We will see where we stand after 4 games.  I bet their first quarterly report card is going to be about a C+.

I just don't see our rookie CB's shutting down the receivers we are going to face in the first 4 games this year.  It might be fairly ugly at times too.  Another concern is officiating this year,  and them calling more closely contested pass coverage.  If they call it really tight and don't let the incidental contact happen we are screwed.  Rookies are are not going to play at that high of a level right out of the gate.  Mistakes will occur every single game.  It's just how many they commit and how bad it costs us.

I was really hoping for a couple drafted rookies, Dane Jackson and at least 2 mid tier veteran corners. It's crazy to think Tre White will be a top form when he does finally come back. I agree it could get ugly back there but let's hope the rookies play like all pros, that's all we can hope for.

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, vincec said:

To be honest, I think it’s unlikely that White will be back anywhere close to 100% at any point this season. He may play, but I doubt he will be fully confident in his knee and that’s not even factoring in the rust. I think next season is more likely before we see the old Tre White.

Rust? Did they put a steel plate in his knee? I sure hope he brings his WD-40 on game days!

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

as another poster noted, this is a bad play by the FO not getting a vet opposite Jackson.  We don’t have games to “play with” trying to get the 1 seed.  Hopefully Elam or Benford is up to the task. 

If McDermott hasn’t proved himself on cornerbacks do you by now he never will

31 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I was really hoping for a couple drafted rookies, Dane Jackson and at least 2 mid tier veteran corners. It's crazy to think Tre White will be a top form when he does finally come back. I agree it could get ugly back there but let's hope the rookies play like all pros, that's all we can hope for.

They were running out the clock to see if he was going to be ready to start the season I expect him to be fully ready to go whenever he comes off pup

Not a surprise given the way the last few days have trended but something feels a little off in the timeline for me. The Bills have told us all offseason he is on schedule but putting him on PUP which means he can't even practice for the first 4 weeks so likely won't play until week 6 at the earliest means he will have been out 11 months with an ACL. 

That is not 'on schedule' for that injury in 2022. I'd be a little concerned. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm a little concerned given how many they kept in the secondary.  Their may have been a setback as he was visible doing rehab to the beat reporters to start camp and then you didn't hear much since.  On the other hand, they may want to make sure that he's 100% ready to go when he does come back given the investment they have in him.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Not a surprise given the way the last few days have trended but something feels a little off in the timeline for me. The Bills have told us all offseason he is on schedule but putting him on PUP which means he can't even practice for the first 4 weeks so likely won't play until week 6 at the earliest means he will have been out 11 months with an ACL. 

I think they were hoping for a game #1 or #2 return, but I think with everything going on and the practice and preseason play of the DBs - they felt they could use the PUP list and give him extra time.  

Even week 6 puts him mid-October  - the injury was Thanksgiving and the surgery was in December- so week 6 really puts you at 10 months from surgery.

I think if the Bills were not deep at DB this year - they probably do not PUP White and target game 3 or so, but they feel they have the time and the first 4 games are not all big passing offenses - so give him time.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, marck said:

The answer was to draft a CB in the first round, then we got a bonus by getting Benford in the 6th, so it may not be the best situation buts it’s manageable

Well written Marck.  I’m glad to see you’re not doing this like some posters.

Friendly advice to a newer poster,  don’t be chicken little.  You’re demonstrating you’re not, and that’s cool.  Some guys think the sky is falling because we didn’t grab Haden.  What we don’t know is we may do that the day after the first day of the season as we don’t have to guarantee his salary for the year, and see how long we need him.

This is not the final 53.  We won’t know that until the Rams, and then will minorly tweak again in the days after the Rams game.  We took two CBs in the draft, have the best safety tandem in the league, one of if not the absolute best NCB in Taron, and Dane played from Thanksgiving through the playoffs.

We’ll see if our 2st RD draft pick will be up to the test.  Historically, we’ve played more zone than man, but with Elam’s skill set, we may start out as more of a man team for the first 5 weeks.

Besides the chicken littles and I’m not pointing out names, aren’t thinking about the significant upgrades we made in the D Line, that makes a secondary easier to play.  Von will demand double coverage, so Oliver and J Phillips will be singled and allow more inside penetration.

Im not worried at all and why as it doesn’t help.  After the Rams, our next opposing passing competition doesn’t start until the Chiefs in week 6.  The Ravens had the 32nd passing attack last year, and I have to be sworn Tua can hit deep when 1st string defenses come at him.  Him throwing a couple to Hill in a preseason against backups means nothing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.