Bills cuts

Chandler#81

Just now, UKBillFan said:

So why cut Mancz? That’s the interesting one.

You got me.  I didn’t think we were even allowed to cut an injured player without an accompanying injury settlement.

I think it’s possible that he refused the injury settlement and Beane said fuggit, bye bye.  

13 minutes ago, hemma said:

You got me.  I didn’t think we were even allowed to cut an injured player without an accompanying injury settlement.

I think it’s possible that he refused the injury settlement and Beane said fuggit, bye bye.  

Thought the latest report was that he should be fit for the Rams.

Only thing is if we’re going to put someone else on IR and bring him back. Perhaps he was the one chosen to go through that as he’s not as engrained with the Bills as Hart whilst I think I’m right in saying Sweeney, Lewis and McCloud would all go through waivers, so there was a risk that someone else would pick them up.

To everyone concerned about Stevenson, Mancz, Hodgins, etc.......chill for a few minutes.  

There will be a lot of roster juggling and gamesmanship within the next few days that will allow the Bills to retain players they feel have potential and may end up on the 53 at some point. There's some risk when attempting to sneak prospects through waivers* to put on the practice squad, but that's the price you pay when you've assembled a playoff caliber team.  The NFL is structured to have competitive teams and a certain degree of parity.

The 53 you see this morning will not be the same 53 we see Sept 8.

*correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's kind of how the Bills ended up with Jack Kemp. 

He was with the Chargers, got injured, then was waived. The Chargers assumed they could bring him back onto 'the taxi squad' (or whatever their version of injured reserve was at that time) after clearing waivers.  But their plan didn't work out for them. DOH!

Instead, Lou Saban put in a claim, the Bills paid the $100 waiver fee, and the rest is (AFL) history. You win some, you lose some.

• Like (+1) 2

Thoughts:

Gotta feel for Mike Love. Has been with the team for four years now - works hard, plays well - and gets cut every time.

Disappointed in keeping Sweeney over Howard. Gave a guy who is still a physical specimen a guaranteed $3 million contract only to cut him for a guy with limited talent who has already peaked. Not the smartest.

With Bobby Hart and Greg Van Roten, we might have the worst OLine depth in the league. God help this team if one or more of our starting OLinemen are injured.

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m really bummed about Tre. Not that he’s not ready, as a PUP-er, he can’t even practice for the 4 weeks. Perhaps the brass was as hopeful as I was, having stated several times ‘he’s on course, he’s looking very good, we’re just waiting on the med staff to give us the OK’. Now? It seems we won’t see him til at least after the Bye -missing ALL of what’s considered the toughest part of our schedule. 
Dane Jackson and rookies?? 🤦‍♂️ Devastating.

As good as Tre is, there's plenty of support in the secondary with Poyer, Hyde, T. Johnson, and mid-field with our experienced LBs.

With (hopefully) added pressure this year from the front 4 on the D line, it should make it easier for the secondary.

They played pretty well after Thanksgiving last year without White.  They're already improved at CB with the Levi Wallace's replacement(s).

As long as the offense does as we expect, and the defense does their job, they'll be fine.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Doc said:

They do.  Name teams that have great OL depth.

I've mentioned before when Sirius was doing their camp tour Pat Kirwin raved about the job Beane did to have depth on the OL.  He said if they lost their starting 5 they could still have players with starting experience at every position - there is not another team in the NFL that can say that.  They had just came from Pats TC, and he said if they lost a starter they had NO ONE (his emphasis) behind the starters

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Thoughts:

Gotta feel for Mike Love. Has been with the team for four years now - works hard, plays well - and gets cut every time.

Disappointed in keeping Sweeney over Howard. Gave a guy who is still a physical specimen a guaranteed $3 million contract only to cut him for a guy with limited talent who has already peaked. Not the smartest.

With Bobby Hart and Greg Van Roten, we might have the worst OLine depth in the league. God help this team if one or more of our starting OLinemen are injured.

I trust Kromer about who he needs.  Guarantee you he wouldn't put this line in a bad position

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Thoughts:

That says more about the state of Howard’s ability than it does Sweeney’s. Bills took a shot that Howard had sufficiently recovered from injuries and regained the form that made him the number five overall pick in his draft. Unfortunately, he is a shadow of his former self. Sweeney outplayed him all summer. It’s as simple as that. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Kromer has nothing to do with personnel. He works with what he's given.

Kromer definitely has input regarding personnel.  He's not cutting guys and signing guys. - that's Beane's job.  But he is involved in evaluating guys and most likely has significant input on who they draft and sign.  It's just how it works in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

You think McDermott and Beane make the decisions alone then tell the co-ordinators to get on with it?

They receive input from the coaches, obviously. But you really think it was Kromer's choice not to invest in better OLinemen? Maybe that 2nd round pick should've been spent on the best available OLineman. Maybe they should've invested more of their free agency money on OLinemen. Things like that are above Kromer's pay grade.

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

They receive input from the coaches, obviously. But you really think it was Kromer's choice not to invest in better OLinemen? Maybe that 2nd round pick should've been spent on the best available OLineman. Maybe they should've invested more of their free agency money on OLinemen. Things like that are above Kromer's pay grade.

Kromer would be instrumental in who was cut from the 53 I would imagine, as far as the O-Line goes. Agreed, McDermott and Beane make the final call on draft and trades and I doubt they can please all of the people all of the time.

6 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

You are changing the original position that was stated. 

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

You are changing the original position that was stated. 

"With Bobby Hart and Greg Van Roten, we might have the worst OLine depth in the league. God help this team if one or more of our starting OLinemen are injured."

How am I changing the position?

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Their 2nd and 3rd round picks are head scratching to me… was a 3rd down back really necessary to use a 2nd round pick on?…. And a reserve LB in the 3rd for a defense already stacked?

What if Edmunds is the odd man out?  Us fans don't know what long-term planning is being considered.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.