Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

44 minutes ago, Chaos said:

the right thing for Araiza to do is retire "to focus on defending my reputation to avoid being a distraction for the Bills" and unretire when he clears his name.  He should do this before the Bills have to cut him and make any derogatory comments about him. 

This actually makes sense and I think could make all sides happy? He’s innocent, so he should be able to un-retire really quickly, right?? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

This whole thing is just terrible.  I honestly dont think the Bills knew of this.  Like they probably knew something happened but not how disgusting of a thing this really is.  I can't imagine they would have kept this kid if they did know.  Honestly I am surprised he is still on the roster.

If you think that highly of their judgement, you may pause to think they believe his involvement actually is at the lower end of the possibilities, and that they have access to more than you or I do. 

just another consideration of how you can frame things all sorts of ways.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

And yet we all just breeze over the fact it’s a ***** punter.

Gimme a break. 

It’s an unproven punter at that. Guy has 1 punt to his name so far in the NFL and people act like cutting him right now will matter for our season. 

Edited by Bangarang

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

This whole thing is just terrible.  I honestly dont think the Bills knew of this.  Like they probably knew something happened but not how disgusting of a thing this really is.  I can't imagine they would have kept this kid if they did know.  Honestly I am surprised he is still on the roster.

According to Tim Graham the Bills were not aware of the allegations at the time he was drafted.

"A source with direct knowledge told The Athletic the Bills didn’t know about the allegations against Araiza until last month. They didn’t know when they took the San Diego State junior in the sixth round of April’s draft, but they were aware when they released incumbent punter Matt Haack on Monday."

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

It’s an unproven punter at that. Guy has 1 punt to his name so far in the NFL and people act like cutting him right now will matter for our season. 

I hardly see anybody saying that.  

People defend his presumption of innocence on a human level.  

Not seeing this groundswell of “we gotta keep him because he kicks the ball really far”. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Just had a random thought…

If the Bills cut Araiza, there’s a good chance they could stash him on their practice squad until the details are fully vetted.

I doubt another franchise would be willing to put him on their practice squad or active roster, given the horrible optics. 

If there’s a good enough chance that he DIDNT do this, that might be a preferable options vs keeping him on the active roster.

If you’re going to cut him I don’t see the point of keeping him on the practice squad.  He can just work out at home in that case and not be a distraction.  

Ideally there would be some means to put him on leave while this case takes its course. 

4 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

According to Tim Graham the Bills were not aware of the allegations at the time he was drafted.

"A source with direct knowledge told The Athletic the Bills didn’t know about the allegations against Araiza until last month. They didn’t know when they took the San Diego State junior in the sixth round of April’s draft, but they were aware when they released incumbent punter Matt Haack on Monday."

That's significantly more dissapointing.

6 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

This actually makes sense and I think could make all sides happy? He’s innocent, so he should be able to un-retire really quickly, right?? 

I don’t pretend to have answers, only questions. I have to wonder if he needs to collect paychecks for his legal defense?

This just sucks in so many ways, especially for the victim(s). Watching the Barkley press conference shows how awkward it is for the rest of the team. I do not envy Beane and McD in dealing with this, but I’m betting they take the best path available, whatever that may be. 

40 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Exactly. And I don't think you can discount the possibility that this is a cash grab from Matt Araiza's attorney.

He warned the lawyer for the victim not to keep calling the Bills bc he could get cut and then their would be no money to get. But that's also true for him, which means it was in his best interest to make the Bills believe there was nothing to the story so that he can get paid. 

Her lawyer warned him of that because he was using the opportunity to prevent the civil suit as leverage to both get a settlement and the most from it.  

Here is what I find interesting...why is her attorney ONLY attacking Matt and his attorney?  Where are all the public attacks aimed at the other men who allegedly were the ones physically hurting her and gang raping her?  Why isn't he in going after any of them who may have had a bigger role, or even the only roles in this...yet nothing.   

Answer:  They can't pay his client, or himself, any money.  So, not one word about them from him.  

On the other side...Matt's attorney is clearly quick to the cameras and seems to be wanting the publicity.  

Neither of these guys are doing much for the overall image of lawyers/attorneys.  

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Maybe he wants to be the face on this subject. Mcdermott is used to high pressure questioning. 

McD is the probably the most disciplined person I've ever seen giving interviews to the NFL press -- GM, head coach or otherwise. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

What's fair is the truth. You don't have it yet. I don't have it yet. The Bills/employer doesn't have it yet. Araiza may not even have it, to be honest. 

I 100% hope he remains on the team until if or when criminally convicted.

So, multiple years from now?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Her lawyer warned him of that because he was using the opportunity to prevent the civil suit as leverage to both get a settlement and the most from it.  

Here is what I find interesting...why is her attorney ONLY attacking Matt and his attorney?  Where are all the public attacks aimed at the other men who allegedly were the ones physically hurting her and gang raping her?  Why isn't he in going after any of them who may have had a bigger role, or even the only roles in this...yet nothing.   

Answer:  They can't pay his client, or himself, any money.  So, not one word about them from him.  

On the other side...Matt's attorney is clearly quick to the cameras and seems to be wanting the publicity.  

Neither of these guys are doing much for the overall image of lawyers/attorneys.  

No doubt. They both seem like small timers who somehow caught a national case and are just puking all over themselves.

• Agree 1

Just now, Boyst62 said:

If that's what it takes, 100% yes. 

You want him on the team until then? That's just not tenable. It's goes back to the "we don't live in a vacuum" thing. 

We can cut him, try to find an exemption like the commissioner's list, he can retire, but I don't see how in the world he can be a member of our normal roster or practice squad given the allegations (unless some massive piece of exonerating evidence emerges virtually immediately).