Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

The problem of course is there is the possibility that he is innocent see Brian Banks tge HS star who signed with USC she spent years in prison due town allegation that the accuser many years later admitted was totally fabricated

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Banks_(American_football)

Or the Duke lacrosse scandal which the media jumped on.. assumed guilt ..and roasted them in the court of public opinion.

it is more probable that something bad did happen to the young woman and if so Araiza deserves to pay the price .. and she would deserve every dime he earns. However in this country the assumption of innocence is essential to how our corrupt, twisted, yet best in the world court system works. If we fire everyone before they have their day in court why have a court system at all .. put it up to a Facebook vote and be done with it. 

He has not been exonerated and he has not been proven guilty so he should punt. Worst case is he is guilty and he earns some extra money that the alleged victim would then be able to get.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Bro...

Yes?? A 17 year old months from being 18 and considered an adult all around this country can’t be considered some kid who doesn’t know what she’s doing. Do you know how many 15 year olds who kill someone get charged as an adult? Now all of a sudden they knew exactly what they were doing cause it’s murder? She was a 17 year old doing illegal actions of a 21+ year old by unlawfully drinking and people want to give her the benefit of the doubt that she didn’t claim she was 18 at a college party as several witnesses stated? Im tired of hearing of this statutory rape BS as if she’s some innocent child! She knew very well what she was up to and how she wanted to present herself that day. I will not sit here and assume she was some innocent child victim that day. She was old enough to know exactly what she was doing, and as a person who was victimized by a lying ass minor, I refuse to believe some 17 year old who ADMITTEDLY showed up to a college party already having drank alcohol was honest about her being underage. Anyone with experience with this sort of thing knows red flags 🚩 when they hear it! So don’t bro me!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

Yes?? A 17 year old months from being 18 and considered an adult all around this country can’t be considered some kid who doesn’t know what she’s doing. Do you know how many 15 year olds who kill someone get charged as an adult? Now all of a sudden they knew exactly what they were doing cause it’s murder? She was a 17 year old doing illegal actions of a 21+ year old by unlawfully drinking and people want to give her the benefit of the doubt that she didn’t claim she was 18 at a college party as several witnesses stated? Im tired of hearing of this statutory rape BS as if she’s some innocent child! She knew very well what she was up to and how she wanted to present herself that day. I will not sit here and assume she was some innocent child victim that day. She was old enough to know exactly what she was doing, and as a person who was victimized by a lying ass minor, I refuse to believe some 17 year old who ADMITTEDLY showed up to a college party already having drank alcohol was honest about her being underage. Anyone with experience with this sort of thing knows red flags 🚩 when they hear it! So don’t bro me!

Yeah I'll just block you instead

Disturbing

• Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

National shame? The Bills are now guilty too, as is their rookie punter who has yet to be criminally charged? 

I'm sorry are you suggesting it's an exaggeration? The entire country is talking about it and he plays for the Bills. It's being referred to as "Bills Punter...". We have an alleged rapist on our team. If that doesn't bring you shame, then it's impossible to do so.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Yeah I'll just block you instead

Disturbing

Thanks! I’d rather clueless people not see or interact with my posts. I’m someone with aA LOT of real world experiences and have little patient with folks who clearly don’t know what goes on in the weird world. ***** ain’t always black and white! There is actually MUCH MORE gray area!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm sorry are you suggesting it's an exaggeration? The entire country is talking about it and he plays for the Bills end it's being referred to as "Bills Punter...". We have an alleged rapist on our team. If that doesn't bring you shame, then it's impossible to do so.

It's true... I am at work and the tow boat pilot and deckhands talking about it and they are from Arkansas! 😆 

...You know why? Because their fantasy draft is this weekend.   😆 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 minutes ago, QCity said:

Innocent. Guilty. Doesn't matter this dude is gone.

There is no way they are going to put up with the "gang rape a high school girl" questions as the trial drags out throughout this season.

Not sure.  I know the Pat Kane rape story didn't derail their cup run. If the team is behind him, they are behind him... No distraction. 

Let's see how it plays out before they kick him to curb. 

22 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Sure you can, we do it every single day. People get fired for FAR less than bringing national shame to an organization.

If Josh Allen was a rookie 6th round punter with one punt under his belt in a pre-season game, then yes absolutely throw him to the curb too.

you sound silly af. This was at a Halloween party in college and he was never arrested or charged with anything nor do we know if that would ever happen. You speak as the accusations came while employed by the company. You tell me an instance where someone graduated from college and got a career going then was fired for pre employment accusations that never lead to any arrest or charges pressed? GTFOH. And how TF does draft position play a role in it ?? Again you sound silly af. 

Edited by StHustle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think anyone has claimed the Bills knew about this "baggage" when they drafted Araiza.

I read the initial report wrong… but it does sound as if they caught wind of this and still cut Haack anyway?  Not a good look… Just based on the reports of what IS true, kid needs to go. Just my imo.

• Disagree 1

Just now, StHustle said:

you sound silly af. This was at a Halloween party in college and he was never arrested or charged with anything nor do we know if that would ever happen. You speak as the accusations came while employed by the company. You tell me an instance where someone graduated from college and got a career going then was fired for accusations that never lead to any arrest or charges pressed? GTFOH. And how TF does draft position play a role in it ?? Again you sound silly af. 

And you sound like a predator.

• Eyeroll 1

36 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

tldr this thread

high school girl lies about her age, gets intoxicated and consents to violent group sex in efforts to extort NFL punter

Or alternatively…

Araiza is guilty, he must be guilty because we think he is.

The truth is none of us know and need to wait for due to process without acting as judge and jury towards Araiza or pointing the finger at the alleged victim.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Holy crap

hansenlol.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

I read the initial report wrong… but it does sound as if they caught wind of this and still cut Haack anyway?  Not a good look… Just based on the reports of what IS true, kid needs to go. Just my imo.

Yeah, they evidently found out about it 6 weeks ago (per the ever-professional and thorough @john wawrow ) from Araiza's criminal lawyer - then were contacted by the plaintiff's lawyer on July 30 and Aug 1st.

So they knew long before they cut Haack.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

And you sound like a predator.

Lol and this proves my exact sentiments. I have NEVER been predatory in my life. Yet you sit here and make your assumptions based on zero evidence…lol. I’m sure if you were my boss I’d be fired cause you worry about what I may have done based on nothing. So far all the evidence points to him being a typical college athlete! I’ve been around this stuff and no very well how females get in these situations. That’s why I’m not quick to judge! If facts come out that what she is saying is indeed true then throw him under the jail! But I would never sit back and based on what’s known so far give her the benefit of the doubt over him. Those of you doing that clearly don’t understand the culture of popular athletes! 

THERE IS A REASON ALMOST A YEAR HAS GONE BY AND HE HASNT BEEN CHARGED WITH ANYTHING!

This isn’t some case where he was arrested and charges dropped cause she stopped cooperating. So many idiots in this thread it’s sickening!

Edited by StHustle
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

Or alternatively…

Araiza is guilty, he must be guilty because we think he is.

The truth is none of us know and need to wait for due to process without acting as judge and jury towards Araiza or pointing the finger at the alleged victim.

LOL no. I'm not a judge or jury and neither are you. So we really don't need to do anything.

I'm perfectly fine judging Araiza on the facts as they lie. If more evidence comes out, maybe I'll change my mind.

3 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Lol and this proves my exact sentiments. I have NEVER been predatory in my life. Yet you sit here and make your assumptions based on zero evidence…lol. I’m sure if you were my boss I’d be fired cause you worry about what I may have done based on nothing. So far all the evidence points to him being a typical college athlete! I’ve been around this stuff and no very well how females get in these situations. That’s why I’m not quick to judge! If facts come out that what she is saying is indeed true then throw him under the jail! But I would never sit back and based on what’s known so far give her the benefit of the doubt over him. Those of you doing that clearly don’t understand the culture of popular athletes! 

I'll just drop this here:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tracyclayton/stop-calling-women-females#.jhGxxDgjnq

and then

giphy.gif

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

No one said he was. Alpha however was indicating that anything besides a conviction of a crime was insufficient grounds for termination. I'm making the point that a court doesn't determine who is guilty or innocent - just what can be proven at that time and place.

This is an interesting point. The courts are not perfect arbiters of truth, but you want to skip from accusations to punishment with no messy thing called due process. Due process is what allows the court system to function and to eliminate that just so you don't feel shame as a fan of the club is contrary to what our fathers and grandfathers fought for in stopping nazism where an accusation could lead to a firing squad. Let the process work and as stated above if he is a slime bag and did this, the victim will have even more money to go after. If he is innocent we will be able to be proud that we let the process work.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

LOL no. I'm not a judge or jury and neither are you. So we really don't need to do anything.

I'm perfectly fine judging Araiza on the facts as they lie. If more evidence comes out, maybe I'll change my mind.

Most of the ‘facts’ which have come out are the case of the prosecution and will be countered by the defence, which we have less information on as it stands - hence I have put facts in inverted commas, because there will be counter claims against the majority made. If people only ever heard the prosecution’s case before coming to a decision no one would be able to move in prison for numbers in there.

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Most of the ‘facts’ which have come out are the case of the prosecution and will be countered by the defence, which we have less information on as it stands - hence I have put facts in inverted commas, because there will be counter claims against the majority made. If people only ever heard the prosecution’s case before coming to a decision no one would be able to move in prison for numbers in there.

Thank you for the inverted commas. They're very helpful.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, StHustle said:

THERE IS A REASON ALMOST A YEAR HAS GONE BY AND HE HASNT BEEN CHARGED WITH ANYTHING!

This isn’t some case where he was arrested and charges dropped cause she stopped cooperating. So many idiots in this thread it’s sickening!

I understand from what you’ve written where you have been on the wrong end of a made up allegation which affected you badly, so you have vested interest in this, but, whilst I’m sorry for what you went through and can appreciate how this must make you feel, most people don’t act the way those in question did against you and lying about age does not automatically result in open season on a person, whether it be allegations of shakedown or crimes of a violent nature.

Of course, in Araiza’s case it MAY lead to the charge of statutory rape being dropped but it is too early to know this.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

lol…if men started being offended when referred to as “males” what would you say?

I read that article and get the point but at the same time “female” refers to minors as well as adults so imo a relevant word in this case since the female in question was a minor and considered just a “girl” at the time and not yet a “woman” (even tho in Buffalo 17 years old is perfectly legal) so “female” seems totally appropriate regardless of PC. I’d rather apologize for just using a run on sentence than apologizing for using the term female.

Anywho I just came back from LA yesterday and im sure the jet lag will kick my ass tomorrow. Should be interesting at the Bills bar and game tomorrow as the fanbase is now divided over this. I stand by my Bills and believe in their investigation over the clowns rushing to judgment on this board. Cutting Araiza at this point after Haack is long gone and with a new team seems counterproductive and would only compound the issue. LONG LIVE PUNT GOD until evidence says he’s guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Goodnight sweet princes and princesses 😉😚

Edited by StHustle

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So you are not a judge but you are fine passing judgement on Araiza before the facts are fully known .. got it.

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I can't believe it took 84 pages for someone to call someone else a Nazi

Please reread. Nobody called anyone else a Nazi. Interesting interpretation of me saying our fathers and grandfathers fought to protect us from the tyranny of the Nazis who would just drag people out declare their guilt and pass sentencing. Not an accurate one, but interesting.

• Agree 1

Just now, CorkScrewHill said:

So you are not a judge but you are fine passing judgement on Araiza before the facts are fully known .. got it.

Please reread. Nobody called anyone else a Nazi. Interesting interpretation of me saying our fathers and grandfathers fought to protect us from the tyranny of the Nazis who would just drag people out declare their guilt and pass sentencing. Not an accurate one, but interesting.

My judgement doesn't mean anything to anybody. Don't let it upset you.

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Obviously this isn't the biggest issue at play here. But we have a game today. Who is going to Punt? Are they going to put him on the field tomorrow?

I bet he will punt. It would be pointless for him not to. Him punting would not result in any additional backlash that hasn't already been dealt. If they sit him, that will just bring extra attention. As it stands, he's not been convicted of anything and is allowed to play, so the Bills will let him play.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They casually used the term male to describe the best men golfers and nobody is butt hurt. 

No, they didn't. "what follows is our opinion about which golfers, and in which order, constitute the 25 male golfers of all-time."

They used the word "male" as an adjective, which is appropriate. No one is saying you shouldn't say "female golfers" . What they're saying is that you shouldn't say "I was hanging out with 5 females yesterday".

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

I bet he will punt. It would be pointless for him not to. Him punting would not result in any additional backlash that hasn't already been dealt. If they sit him, that will just bring extra attention. As it stands, he's not been convicted of anything and is allowed to play, so the Bills will let him play.

Yup! And he's probably in Charlotte as we speak. Sleeping. 

This from ESPN.com article:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34460423/buffalo-bills-punter-matt-araiza-two-san-diego-state-football-players-accused-gang-raping-minor-lawsuit

"...The NFL said in a statement that it was also aware of the incident but declined to comment. Because the alleged rape happened before Araiza was drafted, he would not be subject to the league's personal conduct policy. ..."

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yup! And he's probably in Charlotte as we speak. Sleeping. 

This from ESPN.com article:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34460423/buffalo-bills-punter-matt-araiza-two-san-diego-state-football-players-accused-gang-raping-minor-lawsuit

"...The NFL said in a statement that it was also aware of the incident but declined to comment. Because the alleged rape happened before Araiza was drafted, he would not be subject to the league's personal conduct policy. ..."

Idk if it's been covered in the thread already, but I wonder what the NFL could do then. Or would punishment be completely up to the Bills?

I would really like to be a fly on the wall listening to what the SCU detectives think.

10 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Idk if it's been covered in the thread already, but I wonder what the NFL could do then. Or would punishment be completely up to the Bills?

I would really like to be a fly on the wall listening to what the SCU detectives think.

Nothing.  If he's indicted in a criminal trial than he's gone.  Not sure if that still possible,  this is civil and 3 people are on complaint.  The bar is way lower.  They settle like Pat Kane did and move on?

It's a civil complaint.   They get nothing if he can't make money... How does that make the plaintiff whole?  Didn't I read that one offer by the plaintiff was withdrawn? 

Only punishment is his money AND if it went criminal, which is strange because that's usually first. Why would the Bills punishment him? They drafted him.  2 punters went before him, maybe that's why he fell to Bills. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm sorry are you suggesting it's an exaggeration? The entire country is talking about it and he plays for the Bills. It's being referred to as "Bills Punter...". We have an alleged rapist on our team. If that doesn't bring you shame, then it's impossible to do so.

A big distraction and PR nightmare for the Bills - does not equal national shame. For that try invading a country based on a lie and killing 500,000 innocent people. As for me I do not condone rape culture, but I also don’t condone cancel culture.

I’m assuming our team had time to consider the impact of this allegation coming out in the media. I’m assuming they presume Ariaza’s version of events are truthful; non-involvement in a gang rape. 

I presume the Bills have a plan B. As of right now their thinking must be IF Araiza is not criminally charged then retain him.

You are entitled to disagree - I may disagree too. Bills FO and coaches have two choices and for now appear to be backing the punter. This does not make the Bills a national shame. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Nothing.  If he's guilty in a criminal than he's gone.  Not sure if that still possible,  this is civil and 3 people are on complaint.  The bar is way lower.  They settle like Pat Kane did and move on?

It's a civil complaint.   They get nothing if he can't make money... How does that make the plaintiff whole?  Didn't I read that one offer by the plaintiff was withdrawn? 

Only punishment is his money AND if it went criminal, which is strange because that's usually first. Why would the Bills punishment him? They drafted him.  2 punters went before him, maybe that's why he fell to Bills. 

That's how I understand it, as well. I'm not sure what people are expecting. At this point in the process, the league and the Bills can't really do anything, including sitting him out of a game.

• Agree 1