Howard Simon "Winding down" from WGR

CountDorkula

Bad for WGR.  Probably means a replacement by some young gun who wants to fill hours with yelling, screaming, hot takes, and talking over callers and co-hosts. 

I remember Howard starting out on WBEN.  Has always been a class act. 

Edited by BTB
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BTB said:

Bad for WGR.  Probably means a replacement by some young gun who wants to fill hours with yelling, screaming, hot takes, and talking over callers and co-hosts. 

You just described Nate Geary.

I cringe and turn the radio station whenever he comes on.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 14
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 4

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

WGR has some really good ones like Jeremy and Sal and some awful ones like a few who have been mentioned here many times….the ultimate meltdown if someone like Thad Brown got the job and spent the whole time trashing Allen like his Twitter feed 

You mean like Dope and the LapDog?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Save your WGR is crap takes. 

Simon has been a staple in most of our lives for years since Empire.

Going to be weird to not hear him in the morning when he finally hangs them up

Such a staple of my childhood growing up watching Sabres on empire and listening to wgr on my Walkman on the bus for wgr. Sad but good for him also. It's a sinking ship, which again is sad, but inevitable.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You just described Nate Geary.

I cringe and turn the radio station whenever he comes on.

Sneaky Joe was the worst when he first started. He's getting better under the tutelage of Sal. But he's still unbearable when he has to be on his own. Talks in circles for 20 minutes per thought just to kill time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

I remember well the Monday "Howard and Jeremy Show" following the 2018 NFL Draft, and Simon practically whining that we drafted the wrong Josh. He was lamenting the Bills didn't draft Josh Rosen, and spouting innuendo about Josh Allen's character. I think Simon is overrated and I won't miss him at all. I hope Sal takes his place.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

Howard is likeable but in all honestly not a great listen. There was a segment a few weeks ago where the crew went through a list of single season records and debated which ones they thought had a chance of being broken this year. Howard either did faulty math or interjected with a complete misunderstanding of what someone else was saying, at least ten times in the few-minute segment. I listened in disbelief

Another time, at the end of the show, Jeremy said they'd come back from break with a quick story that purported to have new information about Drury/Briere leaving the Sabres. I was very interested to hear this, as it's a pretty foundational part of Sabres history. Howard literally threw a fit and said that he didn't want to hear it because he liked Briere or something. Jeremy thought he was joking but when they came back Howard kept whining, I cant describe it as anything else. So the show ended and I still haven't heard the information. It was ridiculous 

Happy wind down to retirement Howard, it's probably about the right time.

He also does this weird gulping swallow while talking too long without a breath, fairly often. Drives me nuts 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BTB said:

Naw Mike Schoop is already on in the afternoon. 

• Haha (+1) 2

How old is he?

I just hope they don't replace him with someone who just reads stats out load or worse, spends the whole show talking about their gambling recommendations and/or their fantasy team.  Doesn't anyone want to talk about actual football anymore?

10 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

Sneaky Joe was the worst when he first started. He's getting better under the tutelage of Sal. But he's still unbearable when he has to be on his own. Talks in circles for 20 minutes per thought just to kill time.

He started (Xtra point show) during the worst time of year for sports.  He’s gotta fill the time with something.  The thing that Geary, Dibiasi and even Jeremy White do is bring a modern look at sports. Using analytics and data driven opinions to the airwaves.  I’d rather hear any of them before listening to Paul Hamilton discuss the Bills.  To this day I don’t know why they bother with Paul on football coverage.  (I know he’s kinda an emergency fill in but there has to be better)

Just now, Mickey said:

How old is he?

I just hope they don't replace him with someone who just reads stats out load or worse, spends the whole show talking about their gambling recommendations and/or their fantasy team.  Doesn't anyone want to talk about actual football anymore?

The gambling thing is becoming an issue. The hosts talks about their bets (who cares), the betting lines and have guests on to discuss all of it. It’s weird coming from my generation to hear it but I guess we all just need to get used to it.  Ugh. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

He started (Xtra point show) during the worst time of year for sports.  He’s gotta fill the time with something.  The thing that Geary, Dibiasi and even Jeremy White do is bring a modern look at sports. Using analytics and data driven opinions to the airwaves.  I’d rather hear any of them before listening to Paul Hamilton discuss the Bills.  To this day I don’t know why they bother with Paul on football coverage.  (I know he’s kinda an emergency fill in but there has to be better)

The gambling thing is becoming an issue. The hosts talks about their bets (who cares), the betting lines and have guests on to discuss all of it. It’s weird coming from my generation to hear it but I guess we all just need to get used to it.  Ugh. 

I do statistics and data analysis for a living, and those guys really don't bring much to the table. They will tell you what "the communtiy" thinks about a player or a stat, but I've never heard them discuss the metrics themselves in a meaningful way, explain how they work, their limits etc.

All sorts of "intellectual" condescension, very little value added

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, arcane said:

I do statistics and data analysis for a living, and those guys really don't bring much to the table. They will tell you what "the communtiy" thinks about a player or a stat, but I've never heard them discuss the metrics themselves in a meaningful way, explain how they work, their limits etc.

All sorts of "intellectual" condescension, very little value added

I can understand them coming off that way. I also think a whole show or even segment about expected goals for/against is going to make a large portion of the audience tune into something else. 

27 minutes ago, Sargent Hulka said:

I remember well the Monday "Howard and Jeremy Show" following the 2018 NFL Draft, and Simon practically whining that we drafted the wrong Josh. He was lamenting the Bills didn't draft Josh Rosen, and spouting innuendo about Josh Allen's character. I think Simon is overrated and I won't miss him at all. I hope Sal takes his place.

Go back and read the threads from this forum that day. You just described 75% of the posters here. Of course few admit it now. 

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.