Training Camp practice 8/1

YoloinOhio

31 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

In the MattvsMatt Puntapalooza, Buscaglia says Araiza won the day, his 2nd straight practice win. The results after 8 punts:

Haack

Avg yards: 43.1

Hang time: 4.46

Araiza

Avg yards: 48.4

Hang time: 4.39

Yeah but Thad Brown said his completion percentage is almost as bad as Allen’s. He keeps track of those things, he meticulous. 

6 hours ago, stevewin said:

Add in that the roster on the Bills website isn't in printable form, and it's next to impossible to see your phone  in the sun.

Tip: screenshot the roster at home on your computer, then paste and save it in a photo editing program like IrFanView (free and easy to use), then print this.

20 minutes ago, Simon said:

He also had one of the best days of his career as a captain and a leader of men.

His insistence on keeping his chin up and continuing to grind on a gawdawful day inspired everybody around him and imo was the only reason the Bills managed to steal that game.

Agree........but that's not the discussion point.

The offense wasn't good that day............Allen just played RB1 rushing the ball 15 times because the OL couldn't pass block and Allen and the receivers couldn't move the ball.    Similar struggle versus Carolina but versus Atlanta Allen didn't stay in the pocket and get sacked 4x.     Jets game finale was no dandy either.    That's the game where Gabe Davis authored his 3 catches on 14 targets masterpiece.  

The offense was focused and sharp in the second half versus Tampa and the second NE game...........but like too much of the season they didn't bring their A game consistently on offense down the stretch.  

They were much more consistent on defense during the season.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Love the Von Miller signing but Star, Murphy, Butler, Jefferson, Addison........that's about $100M prioritized on mediocrity.    

For all of that investment in the DL they haven't had a double digit sacker in McD's 5 seasons here.........the longest such streak for the Bills since sacks became an official stat.

Agreed as starting in 2017 we've finished in order 29th, 25th, 6th, 15th, and 12th in sacks.  Not good enough for how much money they invested in it.  It's not that surprising we've never had a double digit sack guy though considering how often they rotate.  I wonder if Epenesa or Basham don't take a step forward they just line up Von out there for 80% of the snaps like he's used too.  Especially down the stretch and in the playoffs if we get that far.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah...........the offense almost cost Buffalo a W that day.

Josh Allen had one of the worst days of his career passing the ball........... 11-26 for 120 yards 0 TD's and 3 interceptions.

There is a misconception that the offense was great after the first half in Tampa............the Carolina and Atlanta games were actually offensive struggles despite the score.

The Bills won that game by 2 TD's.  It was a snowy/windy day which clearly impacted the passing game.  Allen did rush the ball 15 times for 81 yards and 2 TD's.

1 hour ago, eSJayDee said:

Is that really winning?  I'd say winning is having decisively better hang time & slightly better yardage.  Failing that to have even a slight edge, you've gotta be better in both metrics.

If they're close you go with the one on a multi-year rookie contract over the one who will be a free agent at the end of the season.  It's going to be tough for Haack to make the team.  

https://overthecap.com/player/matt-araiza/10225

https://overthecap.com/player/matt-haack/6094

Edited by Albany,n.y.

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

It's unpopular to say it, I know it, I just won't be surprised if they struggle again.  Particularly early in the season. There are still a LOT of things to work out and the schedule does them no favors this year.

Yep, agreed esp due to the uncertainty around the OL. The best we can expect is for Brown to be back fully healthy and Dawkins' personal problems behind him. Then we can at least field the best possible unit we can. 

Contrary to popular belief, the D may have to win a couple of the games in the first half of the season. Or again depend on magician Allen

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, BillsVet said:

In Carolina, Gettleman drafted more players (1) who had a 10 sack season than have Beane/McD here (0).

When you're looking up at Gettleman something's dreadfully wrong.  Not saying a guy like Rousseau can't get there, but it's an indictment of the organization's talent evaluation they haven't identified one yet who can do that...especially for a defensive scheme that has to get pressure from the front 4. 

Don't worry. EO is here with his amazing pass rush win rate and defeats rate to save the day.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

In the MattvsMatt Puntapalooza, Buscaglia says Araiza won the day, his 2nd straight practice win. The results after 8 punts:

Haack

Araiza

It is still the hang time that concerns me. The previous day he won the hang time battle as well and that is what I am looking for from him to win this job. We know he has the stronger leg. If he can't consistently get enough hang then I worry about the impact that will have in the pros. 

6 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

The offense struggled many times last year and IMO the defense is/was overrated which is why I smh when people discount articles that wonder if the Bills will win 12 games. I get that it isn't what you want to hear but they are playing likely a good portion of this season without Tre White and our corner depth is all unproven, the offensive line is still a weakness and a lot of it is broken and the RT has a back problem, the running game is still a huge question mark, they have a new play caller who has never had that role and nobody knows how that's going to go, etc.

People want to act like the offense was a juggernaut because how the season ended but in real life they had big time issues a lot of the time last year. People also want to wave around the #1 defense as though they didn't get absolutely torched by the Chiefs all game long forget about how it ended. If you can't defend for 13 seconds you aren't #1 of anything, I'm sorry. They needed the defense to make one stop to win that game. One. They had 2 chances to get that one stop and they couldn't do it. Not only couldn't they do it they barely slowed KC down. Does Von Miller fix all that? I kinda doubt it.

It's unpopular to say it, I know it, I just won't be surprised if they struggle again.  Particularly early in the season. There are still a LOT of things to work out and the schedule does them no favors this year.

Tre White is not missing much of the season, if any. He is a possibility for week 1 and he will be on the field by week 4 at the latest unless he has a major setback from where he is now. It is a fairer concern to say that players coming off ACL can play a little tentative when they first return to the field because as much practice as you have there is no substitute for having to explode out of your stance for real. So "will Tre be at his usual all pro level this year?" is a fairer question. But he will be out there for the overwhelming majority of our games. 

The offensive line is a much bigger concern to me. Roger Saffold has always been a player I have felt is overrated. He is a below average pass blocker. Ryan Bates had a good 5 or 6 games playing next to Dion, but the real reason for that uptick in line play was Dion getting back to being Dion IMO. Now you are flipping Bates to play next to a tackle who had some rookie struggles and then back surgery (on a 6'7 man)... there is zero guarantee that he backs up his play last year. He may, of course, but it is just not a guarantee. 

The Bills will win at least 12 games for sure though. 12 is their absolute floor unless Josh gets hurt. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

The offense struggled many times last year and IMO the defense is/was overrated which is why I smh when people discount articles that wonder if the Bills will win 12 games. I get that it isn't what you want to hear but they are playing likely a good portion of this season without Tre White and our corner depth is all unproven, the offensive line is still a weakness and a lot of it is broken and the RT has a back problem, the running game is still a huge question mark, they have a new play caller who has never had that role and nobody knows how that's going to go, etc.

People want to act like the offense was a juggernaut because how the season ended but in real life they had big time issues a lot of the time last year. People also want to wave around the #1 defense as though they didn't get absolutely torched by the Chiefs all game long forget about how it ended. If you can't defend for 13 seconds you aren't #1 of anything, I'm sorry. They needed the defense to make one stop to win that game. One. They had 2 chances to get that one stop and they couldn't do it. Not only couldn't they do it they barely slowed KC down. Does Von Miller fix all that? I kinda doubt it.

The Buffalo Bills had the seventh ranked offense last year seven out of 32 teams exactly how is that struggling it’s in the top 10

23 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The Buffalo Bills had the seventh ranked offense last year seven out of 32 teams exactly how is that struggling it’s in the top 10

Easy.  There were clearly a lot of games last season where they just weren't clicking.  And most of the time that was due to lack of protection from the OL.    As we see how training camp is progressing, its pretty easy to see that could be a potential problem for us again.   That being said, when the offense is clicking and the OL is healthy and doing their job, no team can stop us.   Our 7th ranked offense came from those 10 or so games where they were playing lights out.  There were 5 or 6 games where it was the defense keeping us alive.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Haack

Araiza

Punt God all day. 5 extra yards average punt

9 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Agreed. Some of these guys need to start panning out. Now. 

They absolutely do. Because even if Von has a great year there is no "high floor, low ceiling" overpaid vet like Mario Addison to play the other side. Greg needs to take a step forward from a solid but not spectacular rookie year, Boogie and AJE need to show they can play in this league. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is still the hang time that concerns me. The previous day he won the hang time battle as well and that is what I am looking for from him to win this job. We know he has the stronger leg. If he can't consistently get enough hang then I worry about the impact that will have in the pros. 

The hang time delta is just 7 one hundredths of a second…stupid question, but isn’t that essentially a wash?  

1 minute ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

The hang time delta is just 7 one hundredths of a second…stupid question, but isn’t that essentially a wash?  

The league leaders normally average around 4.8 seconds. A near half a second difference matters in terms of the chance it gives your coverage team. 

8 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The Bills won that game by 2 TD's.  It was a snowy/windy day which clearly impacted the passing game.  Allen did rush the ball 15 times for 81 yards and 2 TD's.

We must have been at different games..........the weather at the one in Orchard Park wasn't 11-26 passing for 120 yards 0 TD's and 3 interceptions bad.

The Bills had an easy schedule and they just played down to competition and had flat performances far too often............MOSTLY on offense.

When they had bad days on defense there was a reason.........a strong offensive opponent..........their bad days on offense were pretty random........the worst being the 6 point debacle in Jacksonville against the worst team in the sport.

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

We must have been at different games..........the weather at the one in Orchard Park wasn't 11-26 passing for 120 yards 0 TD's and 3 interceptions bad.

The Bills had an easy schedule and they just played down to competition and had flat performances far too often............MOSTLY on offense.

When they had bad days on defense there was a reason.........a strong offensive opponent..........their bad days on offense were pretty random........the worst being the 6 point debacle in Jacksonville against the worst team in the sport.

....and to add to that, most of their "bad days on offense" started up front. The majority of those games they just couldn't pass protect at all. 

• Agree 5

The offense goes as the OL goes.  If the OL is average, the offense should be great.  If the OL is injured and jax-like, we’ll be sad and doomed.  After a week of training camp news, we better hope the starters come back healthy and stay that way.  The backups are getting destroyed on the reg 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.