Training Camp practice 8/1

YoloinOhio

19 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I'm definitely excited yet a bit concerned about our Guard depth at the same time.   

I'm assuming it's a mess right now.   

Guard is going to be a revolving door for us this year. Hopefully talent at the other spots covers this gaping hole.

• Dislike 1

29 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Excellent pass blocker and tough. I have him making the final 53 over Duke Johnson though Johnson does have a career 4.3 YPC (4.6 last season).  I hate keeping special teams only guys but if you keep one, then I would keep Jones over Kumerow. That means you keep one less RB and one more WR. 

If the Duke Johnson signing has pushed Zach Moss (now healthy) to another level the $377k dead money will be worth it.

Competition for roster spots on this team is intense.  

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

No way, he alternates he's concern between OL and WR depth.  Keeps it fresh.

Don’t forget my conservative McD

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

I saw. That’s great.  Now he only needs to be able to shadow the WRs…..and not get burned by Neil Pa’auauu

• Like (+1) 1

Random observations from today

- Saw Astro at the top of the stands before practice and went over to introduce myself and say hi.  Such a nice guy and great fan

- There's a jugs machine set up on the stadium field for players to use before they enter the practice fiels.  Elam was on it for a long time, then Pa'ua, then Cook.  Astro said Blackshear is always the first out to use it before he goes out as one of the first players on the practice field

- On the way into practice field Dion looked to be in a good mood, was smiling and chatting with fans before the tunnel and taking selfies with them

- Before practice started Bass was just booming kicks.  He made a 60 yder that swear would have easily gone in from 70

- In person eye tests - AJ looks trim but SOLID - sometimes pics make him look slim but he is big.  Rousseau (as we all know) is ridiculously large - like almost comically.  Von looks like a TE standing to him.  Basham looks BIG and ATHLETIC - standing next to Rousseau he holds his own (granted that was with his helmet on and Rousseau with his off, but still).  I don't know if part of it is an illusion with his black socks and shoes - but Shakir has two of the shortest stumpiest legs in ratio to his body that I've ever seen on an NFL WR - or maybe on any person 

- Funny with the couple scrums one might get the impression from tweets that this was some hotly contested practice, but it was honestly one of the least exciting practices I've ever attended.  There's always lulls - but this practice had LONG periods of ST work, play walkthroughs, whole units going over to the the side field for a long time.  I think the scrums were from players getting frustrated with the boring content of practice

- While they were doing ST work (for a long time) Knox and Howard were stuck doing the same in route over and over and over on the sideline, with the TE coach constantly correcting or pointing something out each rep.  It was almost like the coach was like well we've got to do something while we wait, and I need to at least look like I'm coaching them up.  I'm thinking how many thousands of times have they run that route and what can he possibly be telling them they haven't heard hundreds of times before.  Can only imagine what they were thinking

- For one WR drill they brought out a square made of PVC around 3-4 ft tall and WRs. had to run under it just before cutting on their route to make them stay low

- The 1-1s with receivers and DBs were battles.  Every one hotly contested - with receivers celebrating when they made catches, and DBs celebrating with stops.  Could also see many times DBs pissed if they allowed a reception.  The DBs were ridiculously physical - was funny to see a DB push/grab/pull/maul/rape a WR then celebrate with the 'no good' sign when the pass was incomplete.  Will be really interesting to see what happens when they bring refs in

- McKenzie (sry, McKittrick - keep it alive) made some real hard contested catches - impressive.  Seems like DBs always like to give him an extra shot or push after a reception

- On one incomplete route to Davis, Josh immediately ran over to him to talk about it - the next time Davis was up he ran the exact same route for a completion, and Josh was very animated pointing to him and fist pumping - he was very pleased that whatever they talked about worked

- After the 1-1 battles, Davis went over and fist bumped each DB.  Respect

- At one point during one of the walk-through sessions I noticed in the middle Diggs talking really animated with McD about some route or leverage or whatever for at least a couple minutes - I felt like McD was trying to watch the run-through and had to wonder as Diggs was going on if McD was really listening or after a while was thinking OK Diggs I get it 😛 

- I decided I would try to watch Von in 11-11 and see if I could witness some of his magical bendy elastism in person.  The very first play I watch, at the snap he hesitated for a second, Dion lunged at him, and he just efortlessly shot by him into the backfield for what would have been a TFL.  So much experience and tools in his set, doesn't always have to be an unbelievable physical play, sometimes it's a mental one

- I decided to watch my (solidly built) guy AJ for a couple plays and two in a row he ended up on his butt

- Then a little later two plays in a row an edge rusher just bursts into the backfield, like shot out of a cannon - on the first my immediate thought was "Wow Jerry!" - then oh yeah, 55, Basham.  Man - Basham looked good standing on the sideline and great on the field

- DLine was just dominant - all units.  There were many many plays that could have been whistled for sacks but they just let it play out - the guys on OBL on way home said they do that for obvious benefit of letting everyone else get a full rep in.  I know the OL is scattershot right now but the Dline, wow

- Seemed like after every reception receivers were paying a price with 5 guys coming in mauling and punching at them them for the ball.  At one point I had a thought it might be less physical for the receivers if the D was just allowed to tackle them to the ground 😛 

- Keenum defnitely is not shy about chucking the ball away when a play is not there  - he did it at least 4 times I saw

- It was HOT in the bleachers.  Also last time I was at camp the far side of the bleachers was roped off for VIP, but this year the whole of the main stands are avail for the common folk

Side Note - It would be really nice if they made available a roster sheet with numbers to hand out - nothing elaborate, even if it's just a plain sheet of paper from an intern running copies in the library.  With all the fringe players and so many players changing numbers is it hard to identify everyone.  Add in that the roster on the Bills website isn't in printable form, and it's next to impossible to see your phone  in the sun.

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 28

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.