Training Camp practice 8/1

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Even if we can’t afford Oliver next year, sounds like he’s going to have a great contract season.

The Bills have already exercised his 5th year option and he's playing for $10.7M.

He won't cost big money (cap) until 2024 or 2025 depending on when and how the contract unfolds.

26 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Much has been invested in this D line.  We had better see the return on investment this year.  If camp is any indicator, this defensive front is going to be scary. 

What makes me very excited is that 7 of the top 9 DL are already signed for next year.

Only Phillips and Shaq are UFA in 2023.  This line could really gel and become a force for the next 3-4 years.

If 1 or 2 of the depth safeties can step up and fill starter roles the D is pretty much set and the drafting resources can feature a lot

of offense the next 2 years!

I'm more hopeful of the DL than I have been in a long, long time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Oliver isn’t going anywhere. That’s a guy you pay. 

Especially now lined up next to Von

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Oliver isn’t going anywhere. That’s a guy you pay. 

Yep.

I believe 3TDT is one of the positions that McDermott views as pretty vital to the success of his defense. 

Combine that with the Bills' "draft, develop, retain" team building strategy, and it's hard to picture Oliver going anywhere.

I suppose if Oliver has huge, unreasonable contract demands and, say, Tim Settle balls out and shows that he can provide the same productivity for less pay, then maybe Oliver leaves. I find that scenario unlikely on multiple fronts, though.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Much has been invested in this D line

The D line is the reason the Bills' seasons ended when they did in 2020 and 2021.  Not -- despite what some posters continue to suggest -- because of the OL.

Josh can overcome a bad to average OL.  Look what Burrow did last year, and he's no Josh.

Beane's priorities are absolutely in the right place.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I tend to agree, but there will be some decision making between Edmunds, Poyer, Oliver and Knox. Doubt they can retain them all.

Poyer is likely the odd man out of the group if he's looking for anything substantial. 

It's the other three that Beane is going to have to figure out what to do with if they have a great year. 

Edited by The Wiz

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Re: The OL..  Any team missing a bunch of starters is going to struggle.  

Aside from them drafting a guy like Parham on Day 2... What did people want us to do?

Kromer/FO obviously didn't want Parham.  He was there for the taking and we took a LB.  We could've gone OL in RD1 or Rd2 and went CB/RB.  I can't say I have an issue with either Elam or Cook in those spots. 

I'm very comfortable with Dawkins - Saffold - Morse - Bates. 

You can't predict a guy will get in a car accident. 

In terms of depth, who are these teams that have better depth OL than the Bills?... Quessenberry looks like OL6 backing up OT and OG positions.  Then we have Mancz and Ford as vets who likely make the team as experienced depth, along with Doyle as the developmental Tackle.

Which brings us to Spencer Brown.  I too am getting concerned about his recovery.  On paper, this is a middle of the pack OL.  The potential to be better than average relies upon Bates showing he's legit as a full season starter and Spencer Brown making the jump in his second year.  

Kromer can only do so much if we are playing musical chairs all year with Spencer Brown.  

I was very disappointed that they passed on Parham.  Wanted him there and he went next off the board.  That said, I like Bernard, a lot.  I think people are reading his addition to the team a little wrong.  I see us using him of a lot of blitzes, like Parsons in Dallas.

25 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I tend to agree, but there will be some decision making between Edmunds, Poyer, Oliver and Knox. Doubt they can retain them all.

20 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Poyer is likely the odd man out of the group if he's looking for anything substantial. 

It's the other three that Beane is going to have to figure out what to do with if they have a great year. 

i think you put Oliver at the top of the list and let everything else fall into place as best you can. 

I also can see Poyer’s deal being just an add on with a few years and some guaranteed money— nothing that would break the bank. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I know its a year or two out, but all signs are pointing to big things for Gabriel Davis this year....if so, that's another guy the Bills will have to figure out a way to keep on this roster.

IMO, I'd rather keep Davis over Knox, and Oliver over Edmunds if it came down to it.

As for Poyer, I don't think the Bills can afford to give him any more than a 1 or 2 year extension, unfortunately.

Edited by Special K

I'm starting to get a feeling that Beane will not extend any of the Knox, Edmunds, Poyer deals this year.

Add Singletary and others who are UFAs next year and it's probably not a bad idea to hold off to see what happens this season before committing.

Throw in Gabe Davis and it becomes a puzzlement where to put limited money and the unknown cap increase coming soon is also a variable.

Oliver is already signed for his 5th year option next year and he will no doubt be high on the list for a long-term contract.

3 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Even if we can’t afford Oliver next year, sounds like he’s going to have a great contract season.

Oliver will be a Bills anchor for this D for a long time.  The cost will be high,

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

The D line is the reason the Bills' seasons ended when they did in 2020 and 2021.  Not -- despite what some posters continue to suggest -- because of the OL.

Josh can overcome a bad to average OL.  Look what Burrow did last year, and he's no Josh.

Beane's priorities are absolutely in the right place.

The defensive line isn't why they were on the road in the playoffs last year.    The Bills defense was #1 in the NFL.   

And no team has invested more in the DL since 2018 than the Bills.........the myriad of free agents haven't panned out so far and the 4 first and second round picks haven't made a lot of impact plays yet.  

Love the Von Miller signing but Star, Murphy, Butler, Jefferson, Addison........that's about $100M prioritized on mediocrity.    

For all of that investment in the DL they haven't had a double digit sacker in McD's 5 seasons here.........the longest such streak for the Bills since sacks became an official stat.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The defensive line isn't why they were on the road in the playoffs last year.    The Bills defense was #1 in the NFL.   

And no team has invested more in the DL since 2018 than the Bills.........the myriad of free agents haven't panned out so far and the 4 first and second round picks haven't made a lot of impact plays yet.  

Love the Von Miller signing but Star, Murphy, Butler, Jefferson, Addison........that's about $100M prioritized on mediocrity.    

For all of that investment in the DL they haven't had a double digit sacker in McD's 5 seasons here.........the longest such streak for the Bills since sacks became an official stat.

Bills Defense played 4 good offenses all year. 

Chiefs during their slump, Titans w/ Henry, Colts and Bucs. 

1-3 in those 4 games, with the Defense providing barely mediocre resistance (at best) in the losses. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

The Bills defense was incredibly overrated last year.

On paper, I think Buffalo has the best Defense in the NFL heading into this year .. but last year, they were wildly mediocre against any good QB.  We were “shenanigans on a Matt Ryan slide” away from going down to the wire at home against Atlanta in poor conditions. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.